W. H. Heydt

Re: Pi Zero Availability

Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:58 pm

Heater wrote:No, no, no. It's indicative of the fact that Americans, having had to live so far away from civilization for such a long time, have forgotten their native language. They also have no idea about geography. Everyone knows "The Shire" is in New Zealand.

:)
I'm trying to forget that Peter Jackson even exists. It would be better if he never had.

Heater

Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:48 am

Jim old chap, did you miss the honking big smiley at the end of my post. It was a joke.

Nice rant by the way. Wish I was that drunk :)

Edit: Looks like Jim wised up and removed his rant. Or someone did it for him. So this post, being a reply, makes no sense anymore.
Last edited by Heater on Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

DougieLawson

Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:53 am

Jim Manley wrote: BTW, English hasn't been our only language since long before 1776 - we adapt the best from every language and culture on the planet.
English hasn't been your language since Messrs. Merriam and Webster wrote their dictionary and took all those "unnecessary" letters out of the nice French words we'd spent centuries collecting. For example "couleur" became "colour" (sometime between 1066 & 1831) and M&W turned it to "color".
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Heater

Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:28 pm

Did you know, there is only one official language in the United Kingdom?

Can you guess what it is?

emma1997

Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:43 pm

Amazing that technical discussion of Pi pin characteristics are banned while some actually take part in discussions like this. Guess a lot depends on what side of the bed Powers That Be get up on in the morning.

DirkS

Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:43 pm

emma1997 wrote:Amazing that technical discussion of Pi pin characteristics are banned
Huh? What makes you think that?

emma1997

Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:04 pm

DirkS wrote: Huh? What makes you think that?
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=129669&start=25

Maybe due to inexperienced participant on loosing side of an argument crying to mama. Or uninformed onlooker slamming that report button as knee jerk response. Or just a bad mood. IMO a little knowledge is better than none at all. Or even worse info that is flat wrong:

"I honestly beleave it iz better tew know nothing than two know what ain't so. ... " -Josh Billings

Pithagoros

Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:06 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Jim Manley wrote: BTW, English hasn't been our only language since long before 1776 - we adapt the best from every language and culture on the planet.
English hasn't been your language since Messrs. Merriam and Webster wrote their dictionary and took all those "unnecessary" letters out of the nice French words we'd spent centuries collecting. For example "couleur" became "colour" (sometime between 1066 & 1831) and M&W turned it to "color".
The English language is fully open sourced and multi-forked. Ours is just another distro, and if you want to hear it spoken technically correctly then avoid most English as a first language speakers.

Pithagoros

Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:21 pm

emma1997 wrote:

Maybe due to inexperienced participant on loosing side of an argument crying to mama. Or uninformed onlooker slamming that report button as knee jerk response. Or just a bad mood. IMO a little knowledge is better than none at all. Or even worse info that is flat wrong:

"I honestly beleave it iz better tew know nothing than two know what ain't so. ... " -Josh Billings
I can kind of understand that, with so many Pis out there, then potentially there are a lot of people who might come and read these forums. And when there are a lot of people then there is a higher probability that a few them may be part of a short plank double act. So when they try the same trick with a 33 ohm 0.25W resistor and something interesting happens, they could point the finger back at the official Raspberry Pi website where they got the idea.

The problem is that the thread is only closed, not removed and is still there to be searched out and read.

When I started my career a long time ago I was in electronics - there were many tricks and shortcuts such as the one discussed that were common practice, but all of them best kept within the profession.

emma1997

Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:32 pm

I guess you are right. Better safe than sorry.

Personally I am not upset by off topic trends and sometimes learn more than from the original discussion. For example that JM link here (now deleted) with convincing evidence colonies corrupted the language last few hundred years less than the country of origin.

Pithagoros

Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:56 pm

emma1997 wrote: Personally I am not upset by off topic trends and sometimes learn more than from the original discussion. For example that JM link here (now deleted) with convincing evidence colonies corrupted the language last few hundred years less than the country of origin.
That is clearly the case, except that the language is never ever stable, it continually develops and changes so I would say it was corrupted, rather it has naturally progressed.

The language had continually morphed up to the point where it was exported, and continued to morph thereafter along several different paths. If a person from the UK from 20 years ago heard the MLE that has become popular in England the last few years, they wouldn't even recognise it as coming from here.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:45 pm

Pithagoros wrote:
emma1997 wrote:

I can kind of understand that, with so many Pis out there, then potentially there are a lot of people who might come and read these forums. And when there are a lot of people then there is a higher probability that a few them may be part of a short plank double act. So when they try the same trick with a 33 ohm 0.25W resistor and something interesting happens, they could point the finger back at the official Raspberry Pi website where they got the idea.

The problem is that the thread is only closed, not removed and is still there to be searched out and read.

When I started my career a long time ago I was in electronics - there were many tricks and shortcuts such as the one discussed that were common practice, but all of them best kept within the profession.
Good point - I might delete that thread. Rather a danger to beginners. I don't normally delete threads btw, so this would be an unusual step.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:54 pm

Pithagoros wrote: I can kind of understand that, with so many Pis out there, then potentially there are a lot of people who might come and read these forums. And when there are a lot of people then there is a higher probability that a few them may be part of a short plank double act. So when they try the same trick with a 33 ohm 0.25W resistor and something interesting happens, they could point the finger back at the official Raspberry Pi website where they got the idea.

It never hurts to be polite about disagreements. Winston Churchill made a similar remark about warfare.
There are things like that in programming. There are techniques I would never suggest someone starting out attempt, ones that I have used. The issue is that some of them depend on knowing what actually machine code a compiler will generate and how those instructions really behave when executed. This is, of course, risky in part because a change to the compiler--let alone porting to a different hardware architecture--will create a nightmare for anyone who doesn't understand *why* the original version worked.

Heater

Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:07 am

Pithagorous
If a person from the UK from 20 years ago heard the MLE that has become popular in England the last few years, they wouldn't even recognise it as coming from here.
As an Englishman who has been away from England for almost 20 years I was amazed to hear how well spoken people are in London when I visited a few weeks back.

As it happens all the people I met in London were Spanish, Italian, German, Russian, Polish, Chinese, God knows what.

I could say the same about my recent trips to Birmingham and Chester.

Where are all the "English English" people? Did they all leave already like me?

What is this MLE of which you speak?

DougieLawson

Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:51 am

Heater wrote: What is this MLE of which you speak?
I found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicult ... on_English; I read it, it made no sense, I'm no wiser. It's nearly 20 years since we moved out of London to Basingstoke I wonder what has changed in the big smoke. I'm from a part of the country where they speak properly with a nice clear rhotic accent.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

BMS Doug

Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:26 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Heater wrote: What is this MLE of which you speak?
I found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicult ... on_English; I read it, it made no sense, I'm no wiser. It's nearly 20 years since we moved out of London to Basingstoke I wonder what has changed in the big smoke. I'm from a part of the country where they speak properly with a nice clear rhotic accent.
I live in greater London, I work in central London.
I've never heard people talk like that (except on TV).
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

jamesh

Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:50 am

Despite the fact this digression is actually interesting, please keep vaguely on topic!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

BMS Doug

Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:26 pm

jamesh wrote:Despite the fact this digression is actually interesting, please keep vaguely on topic!
Sorry.

I guess the OP's real question is when will there be enough stock to buy 10 at once?

Given the (observed) slow dispersal rate I would say that it will be several months until any stock made available doesn't sell out within an hour of release and while that trend continues I don't believe it is reasonable to remove the 1/customer cap.

I know that I am far from the only person who wants to have at least 10, so I expect that stock will dwindle quickly again once the cap is removed.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

billintad

Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:36 pm

Heater wrote:Did you know, there is only one official language in the United Kingdom?

Well not exactly true, as in Pi Land (Wales) you can also be official and talk Welsh :-).

hippy

Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:53 pm

BMS Doug wrote:Given the (observed) slow dispersal rate I would say that it will be several months until any stock made available doesn't sell out within an hour of release and while that trend continues I don't believe it is reasonable to remove the 1/customer cap.
The real shame is that the developing world the Pi Zero was priced for will probably be the last to benefit from it; unless there are plans for Zeroes to be shipped and sold/gifted where needed, bypassing others hoping to get their hands on one ( ten, or more ).

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:31 pm

Emma, et al, I took the opportunity to point out exactly how far some people have their craniums (cranii? ;) ) stuck up their posterior orifices (there's some quaint, colloquial English for you! :lol: ). They either don't know their own history from which they've benefited their entire lives (so much for the vaunted educational system, or their intellect, if that's the case), or they're trying very hard to ignore their history and the world in which they exist, of which the latter is not a choice. In either case, casting aspersions elsewhere doesn't change that history, nor their attachment to it, which is exhibited by the baggage they carry around so obnoxiously ... even though they apparently can't even stand to live there any more - very interesting.

As you've experienced, I also don't find the knee-jerk response surprising that reflects the lack of a constitutional guarantee of freedom of speech where the forum is hosted. Yeah, sure, try to hide behind the "we're not a pubic forum, so we can do whatever we want" excuse - at least we have "safe harbo(u)r" protection in the U.S. that's an extension of that right to freedom of speech. BTW, I've spent 22 years of my life serving to ensure that right, among many others, is not infringed by such tyranny, by which every other citizen of the world benefits. That's precisely because we can state facts and back them up without some miniature form of a Nanny State flopping around in a clumsy attempt to make things look only the ways they think they should, instead of as they actually are. Progress is a messy thing and it doesn't care what some may think of that, thank goodness. OCD people should just go rearrange the socks and underwear in their dresser drawers and not bother those of us trying to get something useful done.

OK, so, here's a completely on-topic request - will someone who's within reasonable trips please buy and mail to me the Zeroes that are reported by the MicroCenter web site to be available in their stores as follows (which may not be correct)?

- Brooklyn (off the Gowanus Expressway), where there are reportedly 10+ Zeroes on a shelf

- The Minneapolis area, where there are supposedly three Zeroes waiting to be bought

- Philadelphia, where one Zero is allegedly available

I will gladly reimburse you in advance for the cost of the Zeroes, taxes, cost of your transportation, and mailing to me.

Thank you!
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

emma1997

Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:53 pm

Sorry JM but it looks like all you may have done (aside from spitting on Supermans cape, LOL) is alert grabbers who might live nearby to take advantage of the Microcenter loss leader. I would be surprised if you managed to get your hands on one there.

It would have been a good idea to try acquiring one myself that way but no need anymore thanks to snagging a couple from Pimoroni. Wish I didn't have to stay up all night refreshing browser and then take that 300% markup but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Heater

Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:13 pm

billintad wrote:
Heater wrote:Did you know, there is only one official language in the United Kingdom?

Well not exactly true, as in Pi Land (Wales) you can also be official and talk Welsh :-).
I think you may have guessed wrong. If you guessed English you did guess wrong.

Turns out the only de jure official language in the UK is Welsh. It is written into law that in Wales the government has to deal with you in Welsh if you so wish. As far as I can tell there is no obligation for them to deal with you in English at all.

This is as opposed to English being de facto official.

Weird but true.

Heater

Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:22 pm

Jim,

Do stop it with abusive, baseless and muddled rants. You are an embarrassment to your countrymen.

There's a good chap.

ejolson

Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:35 pm

hippy wrote:The real shame is that the developing world the Pi Zero was priced for will probably be the last to benefit from it; unless there are plans for Zeroes to be shipped and sold/gifted where needed, bypassing others hoping to get their hands on one ( ten, or more ).
Are you sure the Pi Zero was priced for the developing world? I thought the main point of the Pi was to reverse the decline of computer literacy in the already developed world. If it makes any difference, I don't need ten Pi Zeros: I'd be happy with five!

Return to “General discussion”