mcalcam

Nexus 7 screen as pi display

Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:21 am

So I was doing some tinkering and took apart my old nexus 7 I hardly used and was thinking, what if I could take apart the screen and use it with my pi? Is there any lovely people out there that know how I could make that happen?

B.Goode

Re: Nexus 7 screen as pi display

Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:43 pm

If you can get it back together again it is probably easier to use it as working Android tablet accessing the RPi over wifi network connection.

stderr

Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:51 pm

mcalcam wrote:So I was doing some tinkering and took apart my old nexus 7 I hardly used and was thinking,
This alleged thinking occurred before or after you took apart a perfectly serviceable tablet?

fruitoftheloom

Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:52 pm

mcalcam wrote:So I was doing some tinkering and took apart my old nexus 7 I hardly used and was thinking, what if I could take apart the screen and use it with my pi? Is there any lovely people out there that know how I could make that happen?
Unless you have full schematics, can build a convertor board and program an interface to communicate, the chances are slightly better than Zero chance...
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

ejolson

Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:54 pm

mcalcam wrote:So I was doing some tinkering and took apart my old nexus 7 I hardly used and was thinking, what if I could take apart the screen and use it with my pi? Is there any lovely people out there that know how I could make that happen?
The fact that desktop PCs are made out of interchangeable parts is an amazing testament to IBMs market leadership 30 years ago. However, as has been pointed out, tablets and Pi computers are not made out of interchangeable parts.

It is, however, still possible to use a fully assembled tablet as an output and input device for another computer. This requires running an appropriate app on the tablet and communicating to the Pi over the network or USB. Except for running "JuiceSSH" from the Google play store on the tablet, I don't have much experience with this. Perhaps someone else can comment on displaying the whole Pi desktop through a tablet.

pete49

Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:55 am

just curious if my tab 2 Samsung could be used as a monitor. At present I'm using a 19 inch monitor but lack of room makes me wonder if this would work as it is a better solution for me. I will have a look at JuiceSSH to see if I can use that
Pete

mikronauts

Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:11 am

On the Pi (when connected to hdmi monitor, keyboard, mouse network) type:

sudo apt-get install xrdp

On the tablet / phone, find and install an RDP client.

I've used RDP from phones and tablets to many Pi's & SBC's.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

gman83

Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:32 pm

I setup my piZero and ssh and used the JuiceSSH to log into the pi from my android phone. I also used the below vnc app to log into the pi on my Nexus 7 and was able to view and control the pi desktop as if it were loaded up on the Nexus. A lot easier than trying to hack the tablet into a screen and you obviously keep the original functionality of the tablet itself.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... androidVNC

Fredfredrickson

Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:20 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Unless you have full schematics, can build a convertor board and program an interface to communicate, the chances are slightly better than Zero chance...
Great, so how do I do this / learn to do this?

bensimmo

Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:43 am

In fact it's much higher than zero chance now.
Have a good read here;

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=158525

Return to “General discussion”