gohigher

not a supported network camera

Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:58 pm

Hello

I'm trying to use a network ip camera the uses the onvif protocol. It's using RTSP streaming ( h.264)
Now i've a network video recoder that receives those cameras. I now want to be able to use the pi as motion detection. Because my nvr doesn't have that option build in. I just installed motion pi , and i wanted to add my first camera. But sadly it isn't working . I'm getting the following error "not a supported network camera" . So i guess that the motion pi can't handel this protocol. Isn't there a way to solve this? It's a smart mini computer no? I really would like to use the pi for this purpose.
Hope some one can help me out.

fruit-uk

Re: not a supported network camera

Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:41 am

gohigher wrote:Hello

I'm trying to use a network ip camera the uses the onvif protocol. It's using RTSP streaming ( h.264)
Now i've a network video recoder that receives those cameras. I now want to be able to use the pi as motion detection. Because my nvr doesn't have that option build in. I just installed motion pi , and i wanted to add my first camera. But sadly it isn't working . I'm getting the following error "not a supported network camera" . So i guess that the motion pi can't handel this protocol.
What do the motion pi docs tell you about supported hardware?
I don't know anything about motion pi so have no idea but the docs are where you should be looking.
Isn't there a way to solve this? It's a smart mini computer no?.
The Pi is a computer running linux.
It is possible to use many IP cameras under linux - but perhaps not that one with motion pi

stderr

Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:20 am

gohigher wrote:. I'm getting the following error "not a supported network camera" . So i guess that the motion pi can't handel this protocol. Isn't there a way to solve this? It's a smart mini computer no?
No, it can do nothing at all without being told exactly what and how to do it. Since the folks who made the pi have never met you, it is unlikely that they have included support for everything you own in their software.

If you want to run something you have with the pi, you'll need to find out what options your hardware has. If supported, I would absolutely start with still images. I realise this isn't the direction you are going, but I would look into it.

Read your camera's documentation and find out the simplest thing it can output, like I said, probably a still image. How do you access that? Some support silly things like an http file download. Start from the simple and work up.

gohigher

Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:55 pm

Thanks for the info. I wish that the people who made motion know me , than i could ask them myself. :-)
For me it's to hard to figure out all this myself. I just thought that with motion pi my cameras will work. But it isn't true. So what i want to ask next is , is there some one who can fix this for me? I would even like to pay them for it.

Thanks already.

Return to “General discussion”