just_survive

upgrading my PC

Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:08 am

I want to upgrade my laptop with my raspberry pi, so it becomes faster ( I have the 2B) but I don't know how!?
I want to use my 'upgraded' laptop for daily use, (gaming)

please reply if you know how to do this

BMS Doug

Re: upgrading my PC

Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:25 am

just_survive wrote:I want to upgrade my laptop with my raspberry pi, so it becomes faster ( I have the 2B) but I don't know how!?

I shouldn't laugh, so I won't.

My 12 year old desktop is faster than a Pi2, unless your laptop is 10+ years old I doubt that the Pi2 will be any faster than it.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:29 am

just_survive wrote:I want to upgrade my laptop with my raspberry pi, so it becomes faster ( I have the 2B) but I don't know how!?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

BMS Doug

Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:39 am

BMS Doug wrote: I shouldn't laugh, so I won't.
fruitoftheloom wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Clearly FotL doesn't have my inner strength.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:17 pm

Folks: can we try being pleasant to the new poster, please?
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

just_survive

Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:03 pm

I wanted to use the Pi as some extra power (1gb ram) for my laptop.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:13 pm

just_survive wrote:I wanted to use the Pi as some extra power (1gb ram) for my laptop.
There is a lot more than just RAM when measuring the 'power' of a PC/laptop. I really don't think your idea will give you what you want.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

fruitoftheloom

Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:15 pm

just_survive wrote:I wanted to use the Pi as some extra power (1gb ram) for my laptop.
Apologies for earlier response, anyway computers do not work like that.

A Gaming Laptop starts at around a £1000.00 http://www.alienware.co.uk
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

liz

Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:16 pm

OP: the Raspberry Pi *is* a computer. It's not an add-on or upgrade or a RAM package for your existing computer. So unfortunately what you're asking for isn't possible. Lots of other stuff is, though: we'd recommend taking a look through the blog archive for some project ideas, or through back issues of our official magazine The MagPi (free) - or through our free learning resources.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Kratos

Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:21 pm

If you want a real computer, buy one. But, if you want a really small, relatively powerful, extremely cheap computer that works for most tasks, buy a pi. If you are planning on gaming, the pi is probably not for you; unless you're using RetroPie for some ancient games.

Kratos
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

expandables

Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:34 pm

So you want to upgrade your laptop? The only things you can upgrade on a laptop is the RAM and the Hard Drive :shock: .
If you want to upgrade your laptop i recommend you buying a laptop with an high-end GPU and a intel i7 cpu :P .
If you want to game on the raspberry pi you can but you only can play Linux/retro games :mrgreen: .
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794
:twisted:
By thinking like an engineer you can create a raspberry pi.
Michael Jackson enthusiast.
I got the PI model B, B+ and PI 2 model B.
When will I get the A? I don't know.

allfox

Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:43 pm

I would suggest a desktop PC for gaming.

Bigger PC means cheaper and more powerful.

Don't be tricked by those companies use same ID or name for both desktop and laptop, those are different hardware.

And I just feel bigger keyboard and screen is more comfortable.

stderr

Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:02 pm

This isn't as insane as people imagine. But you have to realise that you can't stick the pi to the laptop and everything gets a speed bump, what you can do is use the pi *and* the laptop at the same time doing operations that you can divide between the two.

For example, let's say you want to run more than one copy of firefox but your laptop doesn't have enough speed or ram for that. Maybe your pi can run firefox and then you can view the output on the laptop. This was one of my original plans for the first generation pi but it wasn't really fast enough and didn't really have enough ram. But the new one is quad core and has a gig of ram, it might be fine. From your laptop, you could type ssh -X [email protected] firefox and you should end up with firefox running on the pi but the output on the laptop. Because of the rather relaxed demands on the laptop in this scenario, you can use it for other things.

My current configuration takes this one step further. I have a main machine that has X2go installed on it. You can have several such machines if you get adventuresome. From that machine, I can run ssh -X to various programs on various desktops on that main machine. From any machine I want to *view* these applications, I simply access via X2go.

A while ago, I stupidly turned off the machine I was using to view the X2go session by hitting the power bar's switch. I was about to get mad because I had a bunch of stuff open and then I realised that it was still open, this machine couldn't matter less for what is going on with the main one. So I just started it up again and logged back in via X2go and everything was fine.This, of course, also works using vnc and other desktop sharing software, the reason I was using X2go is because it was working better.

In any case, the desktop I was viewing, was separating the firefox sessions and other programs into chunks that could then be run on various machines via ssh -X [email protected] program . So, for example, if I want to run intelliJ *and* want to loop sbt, the simple build tool for scala, I might divide these operations between two systems. (sbt is command line character based so doesn't need to even use X) This gives the full power of one machine to the building of the program while retaining the full power (and memory) of another for IntelliJ. You'll probably find that the pi lacks enough memory to do this very effectively in this case but the idea can be used with two or more systems that do have the needed resources.

Depending on your available systems, you may have to move around which systems are being used ssh -X and which one or more are being used via a desktop sharing program and which you are using to view into that. But you *can* do things with the pi that augment your laptop's capabilities, assuming you don't just want to play some silly video game faster.

DougieLawson

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:07 am

stderr wrote:
This isn't as insane as people imagine. But you have to realise that you can't stick the pi to the laptop and everything gets a speed bump, what you can do is use the pi *and* the laptop at the same time doing operations that you can divide between the two.
Loosely coupled multiprocessing across heterogeneous machine architectures is nothing a novice amateur user is going to be able to achieve. Offloading units of work from one system to something with an alien architecture is beyond what I'd be able to do and I don't mean just accessing a service on a secondary machines. Dividing stuff between the two sounds easy, but it isn't.

Doing it with homogeneous architectures (the way we do it on mainframes) is extremely complex because you need shared disks with high speed fibre channels, shared networks (gigabit speeds and higher) and for really high power / high throughput systems you need shared memory. We're talking about the sort of processing that runs the work for banks, insurance companies and manufacturers here.

You can experiment with clustering raspberries, but clustering a raspberry with a Intel based system isn't going to work.

Run the raspberry as a server (apache2, mysql, etc.) and use the Intel based system as a front end to drive those services running on the raspberry. That's trivial and easy and gives you something that's useful. It's also well documented and constitutes most of the traffic on this forum.

The other thing the raspberry is exceedingly good at is as a data acquisition device (aka Internet of Things) for sensor networks, all those GPIO pins, the I2C and SPI buses give us enormous scope to run exciting projects like weather stations. Combine that with apache2, mysql, NodeRED and mosquitto/MQTT and you're set-up to join the IoT game.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

ric96

Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:58 pm

In short:
Pros of pi as a "Regular PC"
1) great for medial consumption using KODI https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodi_(software)
2) Educational stuff like learning how to code etc. in a fun manner
3) Learning to use linux. If you want to lean to use linux and feel comfortable in an environment where linux is used all the time at the same time not spend too much money on it... buy a pi and try to use it regularly and get to know the OS.

CONS:
1) Web-browsing: although possible, its not very fast or reliable.
2) Gaming: just NOPE (except mini minecraft)
3) Heavy word processing: although libre office works, it can slow you down.
4) Androi..... shhhhh NOPE

even though their are many pros and cons, i have listed those which i think would effect an "average Joe"
PS: some of the cons "might" get solved after the gpu driver is stable enough to be released on the raspbian jessie build.
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: [email protected]
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

Return to “General discussion”