gordon77

Re: Pi0 out of stock

Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:35 pm

Woll wrote:£4/$5 is the RRP.
I paid £3.33 (5$), plus vat = £4. Including P&P = £6.50.

Pi's rrps are always exclusive tax and postage.

Woll

Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:45 pm

gordon77 wrote:
I paid £3.33 (5$), plus vat = £4. Including P&P = £6.50.

Pi's rrps are always exclusive tax and postage.
The quarterly subscription is the best deal, you get free cables included.
That's a MagPi master stroke.
Who ate all the Pi's? Who ate all the Pi's?
Boris Johnson, Boris Johnson,
Who ate all the Pi's?

gregeric

Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:08 pm

hoopdreams wrote:I didn't join this forum for this but, come on, emma1997...
I'm sitting here just imagining the flaming the poor US Postal guy is gunna get when he asks for taxes & duty on that little parcel which started off at $5 and ends up at >$30... :twisted:

emma1997

Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:22 pm

Yes, thank god Uncle Sam don't stick it to us that way.
I paid $17 so about 3x that even counting adapters and shipping. Hopefully at some point these will be available for close to RRP/MSRP plus actual postage. There are a few (VERY few) vendors over here that do that.

It's wonderful to see fanboys come to the aid of the target of their affections, even to the point of ignoring any of my positive comments. I guess it's like they say: Love Is Blind. I get similar reactions when criticizing dealers like Sparkfun and DimensionEngineering for rebranding exactly the same items available from Ali and Ebay at 8x-10x markup and 4x s&h (no exaggeration). I'm happy Pimoroni wasn't that bad. Anyway I'm glad everybody is pleased with the bargains floating around out there.

Woll

Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:33 pm

emma1997 wrote:Yes, thank god Uncle Sam don't stick it to us that way.
I paid $17 so about 3x that even counting adapters and shipping. Hopefully at some point these will be available for close to RRP/MSRP plus actual postage. There are a few (VERY few) vendors over here that do that.

It's wonderful to see fanboys come to the aid of the target of their affections, even to the point of ignoring any of my positive comments. I guess it's like they say: Love Is Blind. I get similar reactions when criticizing dealers like Sparkfun and DimensionEngineering for rebranding exactly the same items available from Ali and Ebay at 8x-10x markup and 4x s&h (no exaggeration). I'm happy Pimoroni wasn't that bad. Anyway I'm glad everybody is pleased with the bargains floating around out there.
A lot of retailers are greedy and like to rip people off. But I would have thought that the US market was to big an opportunity to miss and won't be long before they will be available there at the RRP. It's just a waiting game.

I don't like paying more than I have to myself.
Who ate all the Pi's? Who ate all the Pi's?
Boris Johnson, Boris Johnson,
Who ate all the Pi's?

gregeric

Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:43 pm

Emma, if you've not done so already, check out their youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuiDNT ... ZzHm0iriGQ. They put a fair bit back into the Pi community & do have to make a living just like the rest of us. They're having a live "Ship Ship Hooray!" stream tomorrow at 15:00 UTC.

hoopdreams

Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:49 pm

You are far away from reality calling me fanboy, just as far as blaming a store for something you did because you wanted. I have bought from Pimoroni, ModMyPi and Pi-Supply, because I liked what they offered me. The day I don't like it, I'll buy elsewhere instead of buying there and going to a forum to give my opinión of how bad they are, but adding two good comments with it.

REgards.
https://github.com/ikergarcia

gordon77

Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:59 pm

emma1997 wrote:Yes, thank god Uncle Sam don't stick it to us that way.

I'm certainly not blind to it. Companies can try and charge what they think the market will bear, you don't have to buy it, Fortunately you have a choice.

emma1997

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:19 pm

hoopdreams wrote:You are far away from reality calling me fanboy, just as far as blaming a store for something you did because you wanted.
Well I wasn't particularly referring to you because you did mention being less than thrilled with their shipping policy. After hearing your story I started counting my blessings. I do blame myself for being so impatient and also for not being a few minutes quicker on the draw to get a Zero only.

A friend of mine paid $40 couple weeks back and didn't even get adapters (or printed card). Suggesting they should have bought him dinner or at least kissed him first he hit the ceiling and went on and on about what a great deal he got. Seems like the more they get screwed the more romantically involved. Guess that does make sense. Maybe some manifestation of Stockholm Syndrome or something.

BTW as mentioned early in the thread I have watched many of their videos. They are educational and also quite entertaining. And as I hinted before probably does increase costs so somewhat justifiable. Personally though I prefer to get bottom line pricing and not afraid of a little googling. That's why most of the stuff I buy comes from other side of the world. Also why I am such a spoiled whining brat and hard to accept how things are done in the Wild Wild West.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:21 pm

hoopdreams wrote:f adaptors are expensive for you, buy a raw Zero.

Well...there's the rub. There are a lot of people who would *like* to buy just the "raw Zero", but they aren't available. and if some come in, they aren't in for very long. The kits stick around longer.

gregeric

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:35 pm

You have to understand this from the vendor's viewpoint too. This crazy $5 price point is as much a problem to the vendors as it is a boon to us users. Yesterday they were selling $25-35 boards, now it's $5 units. There can't be much profit, if any, for anybody in the chain. That's why, although they sell the bare boards at the headline price as stipulated by the RPF, they also bundle them with useful/essential accessories to make that sale worthwhile for them, & at the same time giving the purchaser a more instantly usable product. I'm still waiting on $1 cables, cheap hubs etc bought from China to go with the free bare Zero I got on the front of MagPi 40.

hoopdreams

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:37 pm

Excuse me for the misunderstanding of being called fanboy, emma1997, as I had posted before I thought you were talking about me. To finish with this little deviation from the topic, I want to add that you're free (as free as to choose where to buy :lol:) to give your opinion but Pimoroni forums, twitter or mail would be a better option. At least with me they have been very kind for each enquiry I had, also my complaing about the 24 pounds shipping (24 pounds, to euros in Spain are even more money).

W.H. Heydt, I bought them with adaptors but I saw stock of raw Zeros for a while. Anyway, I believe (and hope) that in a near future stock>demand and we'll be able to buy even more than one per order.

Coming back to the topic, I was able to get one at 12:01 :lol: and send it to a friend of a friend who lives in Manchester (not worth shipping to Spain, as I said before). If I'm lucky I'll get it the second week of january.

Regards.
https://github.com/ikergarcia

Pithagoros

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:52 pm

Anyone who happened to own a Nokia N8 phone was probably in possession of all the cables required to get a Zer0 up and running.
:D

ame

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:58 pm

emma1997 wrote:
hoopdreams wrote:You are far away from reality calling me fanboy, just as far as blaming a store for something you did because you wanted.
Well I wasn't particularly referring to you because you did mention being less than thrilled with their shipping policy. After hearing your story I started counting my blessings. I do blame myself for being so impatient and also for not being a few minutes quicker on the draw to get a Zero only.

A friend of mine paid $40 couple weeks back and didn't even get adapters (or printed card). Suggesting they should have bought him dinner or at least kissed him first he hit the ceiling and went on and on about what a great deal he got. Seems like the more they get screwed the more romantically involved. Guess that does make sense. Maybe some manifestation of Stockholm Syndrome or something.

BTW as mentioned early in the thread I have watched many of their videos. They are educational and also quite entertaining. And as I hinted before probably does increase costs so somewhat justifiable. Personally though I prefer to get bottom line pricing and not afraid of a little googling. That's why most of the stuff I buy comes from other side of the world. Also why I am such a spoiled whining brat and hard to accept how things are done in the Wild Wild West.
Cool story, bro'.

Shoka

Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:31 pm

Just in passing, purchased a Pi0 from Pimoroni last Monday.

I had no problem buying just the Pi0 at the advertised price. It was delivered Wednesday.

I did actually purchase more mostly unrelated kit along with the Pi0, as I tend to batch up my purchases from Pimoroni to keep the postage down.

For interest I watched the site for a while and the "Pi0 only" went out of stock before the various bundles did. They were accepting orders for "Pi0 only" for about half an hour, so the device is clearly being sold exactly as described by the RPF, though there is also obviously a mismatch between supply and demand at the moment. All versions eventually went out of stock.

Presumably Pimoroni are allocating some of their stock to make up the bundles, which seems a reasonable commercial decision AFAICS, since presently they can sell every Pi0 unit they can acquire. What proportion of their stock they were prepared to sell unbundled is not something I can determine, but I would estimate is a significant percentage because the Pi0 bundle options dried up pretty quickly after the "Pi0 only" went out of stock.

Once the rush eases, I see no reason to suggest that the Pi0 will not be available at the advertised price in pretty much any quantity you wish to purchase.
Cheers Harry

jjex22

Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:38 am

Shoka wrote:Just in passing, purchased a Pi0 from Pimoroni last Monday.

I had no problem buying just the Pi0 at the advertised price. It was delivered Wednesday.
Same here, I got mine from Pi Hut on monday, it shipped on Tues. It's still in transit, but that's to be expected for Australia. I really can't complain; the shipping was £3.50 which is very reasonable (If I'd bought it from E14 here in Aus -if that were possible - it would be around £4 domestic shipping!), and it was at the advertised price of £4. Sure it shipped to Aussie, so the VAT in that price isn't going to the government, but I don't mind Pi Hut keeping it - meant I didn't have to feel guilty about not purchasing a marked up accessory :D

I think the window of zero availability outside of kits was around 2 hours. To be honest they did all they could about that, limiting orders to one per person to prevent resellers to a certain extent. I'm sure a lot of people played the system by ordering one from pi hut and one from pimoroni, or using different accounts/their work address but really it was a pretty painless purchase and if felt pretty honest - not like the official E14 resellers here charging £13 + £4pp (converted) for a pi and 2 adapters.

I think people are mistaking how online payments and ordering systems work regarding the kits. In my retail experience, modern payments systems and procedures are the likely reason some of the pi's were restricted to being included as kits. It prevents double selling / zero selling as well as just the general stock nightmare. Given that the zero's by themselves were logically the most popular, and that the kits didn't outlast the zero's in terms of availability by more than a few hours, it seems reasonable to assume that it was not a case of *release as few zeros by them selves as possible so people HAVE to buy the kits* as some people have suggested.
I had the idea for a single board computer in every seat on airplanes... but it all just seemed a bit Pi in the Sky!

Jednorozec

Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:12 am

jjex22 wrote:t seems reasonable to assume that it was not a case of *release as few zeros by them selves as possible so people HAVE to buy the kits* as some people have suggested.
While Adafruit had Pi Zeros by themselves listed they never had any in stock. All they had were their rather expensive kits.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

gordon77

Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:18 am

jjex22 wrote:
Shoka wrote:Just in passing, purchased a Pi0 from Pimoroni last Monday.

Same here, I got mine from Pi Hut on monday, it shipped on Tues. It's still in transit, but that's to be expected for Australia. I really can't complain; the shipping was £3.50 which is very reasonable (If I'd bought it from E14 here in Aus -if that were possible - it would be around £4 domestic shipping!), and it was at the advertised price of £4. Sure it shipped to Aussie, so the VAT in that price isn't going to the government, but I don't mind Pi Hut keeping it - meant I didn't have to feel guilty about not purchasing a marked up accessory :D
£3.50 to Australia sounds a bargain, shipping cost me £2.50 in the UK.

jjex22

Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:59 am

Jednorozec wrote:
jjex22 wrote:t seems reasonable to assume that it was not a case of *release as few zeros by them selves as possible so people HAVE to buy the kits* as some people have suggested.
While Adafruit had Pi Zeros by themselves listed they never had any in stock. All they had were their rather expensive kits.
Sorry for the confusion, I was referencing how Pi Hut and Pimoroni handled the limited stock release last week. I was defending what I perceived as perhaps overly critical comments of that experience.

Afriad I have no experience of Adafruit in this context - I didn't even know they had stock last Monday! My experience has always been that adafruit provide reall good quality kits, but that they (and the shipping of them) aren't the cheapest around.
I had the idea for a single board computer in every seat on airplanes... but it all just seemed a bit Pi in the Sky!

Jednorozec

Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:11 am

jjex22 wrote:Afriad I have no experience of Adafruit in this context - I didn't even know they had stock last Monday! My experience has always been that adafruit provide reall good quality kits, but that they (and the shipping of them) aren't the cheapest around.
Adafruit only had stock the first day the Zero was released. There wasn't any stock in the US last Monday. I think that Adafruit is a great company and I do buy a lot of stuff from them but $30 for their cheaper kit was a bit much. I can get first class mail delivery on light items which makes the shipping really cheap. I'll get a Zero from them if I'm fast enough whenever they get stock again.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

gary_mostyn

Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:48 pm

Shame on those who purchased lots of copies of MagPi issue 40 with free pi zero with the sole intention of reselling on ebay @£25+ .People with that mindset should have tried harder at school to enable them to get a job that pays well enough that they don't need to scratch around to make a quick buck! Rant over...

DougieLawson

Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:08 pm

gary_mostyn wrote:Shame on those who purchased lots of copies of MagPi issue 40 with free pi zero with the sole intention of reselling on ebay @£25+ .People with that mindset should have tried harder at school to enable them to get a job that pays well enough that they don't need to scratch around to make a quick buck! Rant over...
Er, wrong!

The folks who need to get a clue are the ones who buy things at that overpriced market. If nobody buys stuff like that the resellers will end up with stock that can only be sold at a lower price. The same is true for ticket touting.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Pithagoros

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:11 am

DougieLawson wrote: Er, wrong!

The folks who need to get a clue are the ones who buy things at that overpriced market. If nobody buys stuff like that the resellers will end up with stock that can only be sold at a lower price. The same is true for ticket touting.
Indeed, those buying multiple copies of MagPi actually paid £5.99 for their £4 Pi Zer0s, because one copy of the mag is enough.

BMS Doug

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:18 am

Pithagoros wrote:
DougieLawson wrote: Er, wrong!

Indeed, those buying multiple copies of MagPi actually paid £5.99 for their £4 Pi Zer0s, because one copy of the mag is enough.
to be fair, my MagPi Pi zero's were 50p cheaper than my PiMoroni one, I had to pay £2.50 P&P taking the Pimoroni to £6.50 delivered.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Pithagoros

Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:26 am

BMS Doug wrote: to be fair, my MagPi Pi zero's were 50p cheaper than my PiMoroni one, I had to pay £2.50 P&P taking the Pimoroni to £6.50 delivered.
Hmm, how much P&P for five from Pimoroni? The folk in question were lifting handfuls of mags, so the overspend for 5 would be almost £10. I can't see Pimoroni charging that much.

Return to “General discussion”