bonjurkes

Question about Pi

Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:26 pm

Hey,

I just read faq, read some articles and decided to order pi :) But I have some questions to ask, probably easy ones.

1-) As power source, can I use my cell phone charger's micro usb cable with wall socket connector? It says on it output : 5V 1A. Will it be enough for pi, or too much or less?

2-) I am planning to use pi for downloading mainly, just for start. I wont waste it only with downloading tho :) Can I connect it some 320 gb disk to use for download files into it? Or insert some usb sticks 8 gb for storage?

3-) Can I install some download software and make it save files into external disk that i will connect from usb?

4-) Can I install vnc on raspberry pi to connect from my windows device? Or only way is using keyboard and mouse from usb?

5-) Do I need to order some gpio cable for starting? I will use ethernet connection, hdmi cable and usb ports with sd card.

thanks a lot for answers

JeremyF

Re: Question about Pi

Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:54 pm

bonjurkes wrote:Hey,

I just read faq, read some articles and decided to order pi :) But I have some questions to ask, probably easy ones.

1-) As power source, can I use my cell phone charger's micro usb cable with wall socket connector? It says on it output : 5V 1A. Will it be enough for pi, or too much or less?

2-) I am planning to use pi for downloading mainly, just for start. I wont waste it only with downloading tho :) Can I connect it some 320 gb disk to use for download files into it? Or insert some usb sticks 8 gb for storage?

3-) Can I install some download software and make it save files into external disk that i will connect from usb?

4-) Can I install vnc on raspberry pi to connect from my windows device? Or only way is using keyboard and mouse from usb?

5-) Do I need to order some gpio cable for starting? I will use ethernet connection, hdmi cable and usb ports with sd card.

thanks a lot for answers
1) Probably, assuming the voltage is stable enough. It probably will be.
2)Yes, powered hub needed for hard drive though (but flash drive should be fine without)
3)Yes
4)You can install a VNC server
5)No GPIO cable needed to get started
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

bonjurkes

Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:59 pm

Forgot to ask one more, can I install programs etc into the sd card that will contain debian image, or nothing else than image can be installed on sd card, and need to connect a drive (hard drive, usb etc)

AndrewS

Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:31 am

Most of your questions are answered on the Wiki :)
http://elinux.org/RPi_Hardware_Basic_Se ... _Will_Need
http://elinux.org/RPi_Tutorials
http://elinux.org/RPi_Guides

Please feel free to ask more questions though if you still can't find what you're looking for!

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:26 am

bonjurkes wrote:Hey,

thanks a lot for answers
1 = 2 = 3 = 4 = YES
5 = NO

And yes, you can install programs on the SD card.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

holmez

Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:29 am

bonjurkes wrote:Forgot to ask one more, can I install programs etc into the sd card that will contain debian image, or nothing else than image can be installed on sd card, and need to connect a drive (hard drive, usb etc)
Yes you can.
How much extra depends on the size of the SD card. A 2Gb card has a very limited amount of space remaining.

Return to “General discussion”