S0litaire

Re: Server

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:02 pm

You should take a look at BackTrack it's a security "penetration testing" Distro..

Their is an ARM version of the OS in KDE or Gnome flavours (go for BackTrack 5 NOT "BackTrack5 R1" for ARM version)

http://www.backtrack-linux.org.....downloads/

I've played about with it, it's got a good set of comprehensive software for testing and seeing how secure your network is.
--
Laters

Bill "Solitaire" C

Anáil nathrach, ortha bhas betha, do cheol déanta

alexhawdon

Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:06 pm

Maybe I've spent too long on sites full of trolls and other such idiots, but I think you're all being a bit gullible here.

Claims to have some sort of official arrangement to help security test systems but can't figure out whether or not the RPi can be used as a fileserver
Apparently the testing involves DoS attacks.  This doesn't happen.  Everything is vulnerable to DoS attacks - a legit tester would examine the system and point out what an adversary would have to do to effect a DoS.
Mention of a script sending 'thousands of emails a second'...

There's a great community here and the fact that this discussion has continued really is testament to how much people just want to help - that's great, I'm not advocating that stops.
However, in this instance I have the following advice on the topic: Using the RPi for its intended purpose (learning about how computers work and how to program them) is the quickest way for this kid to become a hacker/computer security expert/whatever-you-call-it-these days.  
If someone can't figure out for themselves whether the RPi is 'strong enough to perform DDoS attack' then we just need to politely encourage them to take a step back and start with more basic questions, like 'How can I use the RPi to learn programming'.

To the OP - good luck getting the answer - the right way! And I genuinely mean that  

abishur

Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:23 pm

alexhawdon said:

Maybe I've spent too long on sites full of trolls and other such idiots, but I think you're all being a bit gullible here.

Claims to have some sort of official arrangement to help security test systems but can't figure out whether or not the RPi can be used as a fileserver
Apparently the testing involves DoS attacks.  This doesn't happen.  Everything is vulnerable to DoS attacks - a legit tester would examine the system and point out what an adversary would have to do to effect a DoS.
Mention of a script sending 'thousands of emails a second'...

There's a great community here and the fact that this discussion has continued really is testament to how much people just want to help - that's great, I'm not advocating that stops.
However, in this instance I have the following advice on the topic: Using the RPi for its intended purpose (learning about how computers work and how to program them) is the quickest way for this kid to become a hacker/computer security expert/whatever-you-call-it-these days.  
If someone can't figure out for themselves whether the RPi is 'strong enough to perform DDoS attack' then we just need to politely encourage them to take a step back and start with more basic questions, like 'How can I use the RPi to learn programming'.

To the OP - good luck getting the answer - the right way! And I genuinely mean that

Less "gullible" and more "willing to give the benefit of the doubt" you'll notice that there hasn't actually been much given in way of "here's how to set it all up" responses.  Plus what they've claimed is that they have permission from their school to mess with a specific server which implies that this is a student at a school in a tech class trying to learn thing (still giving the benefit of the doubt ).  I had a single course like that my senior year of high school.  It was off campus and we ran the local network for the building (well the student side of things anyway).  So I'm willing to throw the individual a bone and say "there's no such thing as a device with network capabilities that cannot be used in a nefarious manner
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

alexhawdon

Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:49 pm

Abishur said:

Less "gullible" and more "willing to give the benefit of the doubt"

You're absolutely right - poor choice of words there!

Return to “General discussion”