DawletMazen
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:52 pm

RaspberryPI Freelancers

Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:01 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have started to use the PI like a couple of months ago and I have already some great ideas to use with the PI but I would need some professional help from someone who have more experience and I am willing to hire those who will be eager to help me

For now I am looking to hire someone who can help with creating a new customized OS distro for the PI, we can use one of the available distros and customize or we can start from scratch by picking the latest linux kernel and add the needed packages as we go

So if you are interested please let me know and we will have a great team :)

Thanks
Dawlet

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 21037
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: RaspberryPI Freelancers

Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:39 pm

DawletMazen wrote:Hi Everyone,

I have started to use the PI like a couple of months ago and I have already some great ideas to use with the PI but I would need some professional help from someone who have more experience and I am willing to hire those who will be eager to help me

For now I am looking to hire someone who can help with creating a new customized OS distro for the PI, we can use one of the available distros and customize or we can start from scratch by picking the latest linux kernel and add the needed packages as we go

So if you are interested please let me know and we will have a great team :)

Thanks
Dawlet
http://www.intestinate.com/pilfs
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

Heater
Posts: 13859
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: RaspberryPI Freelancers

Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:05 pm

You are living in Cloud Cuckoo Land if you think anyone is interested in a new/different Linux distribution. Do you understand why we are here at all?

Are you just expecting to make profit out of the billions of hours invested by people and companies in the Linux world?

We would all like to be part of a "great team". So please do tell what is the "great" idea you have?

I am available for hire by the hour, week or month. I would be interested to hear your proposition.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

User avatar
mikronauts
Posts: 2732
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:28 pm
Contact: Website

Re: RaspberryPI Freelancers

Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:56 pm

1) You do realize that experienced consultants charge $100++++ per hour?

2) You do realize that Pi OS's are licensed under the GPL, and you will have to give the source code to changes out?
(in most cases, unless you are extremely careful what libraries you link against etc)
DawletMazen wrote:Hi Everyone,

I have started to use the PI like a couple of months ago and I have already some great ideas to use with the PI but I would need some professional help from someone who have more experience and I am willing to hire those who will be eager to help me

For now I am looking to hire someone who can help with creating a new customized OS distro for the PI, we can use one of the available distros and customize or we can start from scratch by picking the latest linux kernel and add the needed packages as we go

So if you are interested please let me know and we will have a great team :)

Thanks
Dawlet
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

Heater
Posts: 13859
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: RaspberryPI Freelancers

Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:39 pm

Have a quick google for "Dawlet Mazen" to see what we are talking about here.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

User avatar
Jim Manley
Posts: 1600
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:41 pm
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe
Contact: Website

Re: RaspberryPI Freelancers

Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:03 pm

Heater wrote:Have a quick google for "Dawlet Mazen" to see what we are talking about here.
You mean this one?
Dawlat Mazen (deceased) - Genealogy - Geni
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! It's the living dead!!! :shock:
Oh, that's Dawl_a_t Mazen ... never mind! :lol:
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

Heater
Posts: 13859
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: RaspberryPI Freelancers

Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:18 pm

No, I did not mean the dead guy. God rest his soul.

No, no, I meant this new chap who does not seem to understand what goes on here. Or in the open source world.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

DawletMazen
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:52 pm

Re: RaspberryPI Freelancers

Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:04 pm

I don't have a problem in sharing the customized code to the open source community to meet the license agreements as my main target is not profiting from the software but rather the hardware that we will create and use the software to run it.

For the guy who was making fun of me and asking people to google my name I don't have a problem of sharing whatever you found if you find it very funny as I don't hide anything and instead of googling my name just ask whatever you need and I will answer

In general many replies seem to be mocking me instead of having a fruitful discussion, so for such people I have one thing to say " Grow Up" !

DawletMazen
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:52 pm

Re: RaspberryPI Freelancers

Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:15 pm

By the way I have 15+ experience in software products and I managed projects up to $3,000,000 so I do appreciate stopping the funny part to discuss business if you are really interested otherwise appreciate that you don't waste our time in some funny jokes

User avatar
mikronauts
Posts: 2732
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:28 pm
Contact: Website

Re: RaspberryPI Freelancers

Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:47 pm

You have to understand that this forum gets a ton of "I have a GREAT idea" (that the original poster has no idea if it has already been done, or is even feasible) that "needs only a little bit of coding" (where the poster has no idea about what is required) and it is usually asking for free / ridiculously low priced / for a tiny share of future profits (which will likely not exist) for doing the work.

After hundreds of such requests, people tend to become jaded.

Mind you, this is not unique to this forum - I am a very experienced developer (31+ years) and about half of the quote requests I get are similar to such posts.

My advice for anyone seeking consultants:

- have extremely detailed requirements of what you need
- make sure you have a realistic budget for your project
- pay a consultant to develop a proper requirements document for the project, including acceptance/testing criteria
- understand that you have to disclose ALL your requirements as project changes increase costs greatly

With the best intentions of everyone involved, quite a few ideas cannot garner the market share to make them a success - or even repay realistic development costs.

DawletMazen wrote:By the way I have 15+ experience in software products and I managed projects up to $3,000,000 so I do appreciate stopping the funny part to discuss business if you are really interested otherwise appreciate that you don't waste our time in some funny jokes
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

DawletMazen
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:52 pm

Re: RaspberryPI Freelancers

Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:20 pm

I appreciate your serious talk, in summary:

1) The business case is made
2) The high level requirements is available
3) A POC made on RaspberryPi 2 is created and tested
4) A market research is made to make sure we are going to market an udea that is available or had a failure track before

Finally I am not sharing the whole idea just to protect it and I am not promising any one to share my idea for a profit share that is not realistic or might be a promise that might not be realized so all what I am looking for is a freelancer who is willing to work on the software side for a realistic price

Thanks

mikronauts wrote:You have to understand that this forum gets a ton of "I have a GREAT idea" (that the original poster has no idea if it has already been done, or is even feasible) that "needs only a little bit of coding" (where the poster has no idea about what is required) and it is usually asking for free / ridiculously low priced / for a tiny share of future profits (which will likely not exist) for doing the work.

After hundreds of such requests, people tend to become jaded.

Mind you, this is not unique to this forum - I am a very experienced developer (31+ years) and about half of the quote requests I get are similar to such posts.

My advice for anyone seeking consultants:

- have extremely detailed requirements of what you need
- make sure you have a realistic budget for your project
- pay a consultant to develop a proper requirements document for the project, including acceptance/testing criteria
- understand that you have to disclose ALL your requirements as project changes increase costs greatly

With the best intentions of everyone involved, quite a few ideas cannot garner the market share to make them a success - or even repay realistic development costs.

DawletMazen wrote:By the way I have 15+ experience in software products and I managed projects up to $3,000,000 so I do appreciate stopping the funny part to discuss business if you are really interested otherwise appreciate that you don't waste our time in some funny jokes

User avatar
mikronauts
Posts: 2732
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:28 pm
Contact: Website

Re: RaspberryPI Freelancers

Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:56 pm

You are most welcome!

(and you have a PM)
DawletMazen wrote:I appreciate your serious talk, in summary:

1) The business case is made
2) The high level requirements is available
3) A POC made on RaspberryPi 2 is created and tested
4) A market research is made to make sure we are going to market an udea that is available or had a failure track before

Finally I am not sharing the whole idea just to protect it and I am not promising any one to share my idea for a profit share that is not realistic or might be a promise that might not be realized so all what I am looking for is a freelancer who is willing to work on the software side for a realistic price

Thanks

mikronauts wrote:You have to understand that this forum gets a ton of "I have a GREAT idea" (that the original poster has no idea if it has already been done, or is even feasible) that "needs only a little bit of coding" (where the poster has no idea about what is required) and it is usually asking for free / ridiculously low priced / for a tiny share of future profits (which will likely not exist) for doing the work.

After hundreds of such requests, people tend to become jaded.

Mind you, this is not unique to this forum - I am a very experienced developer (31+ years) and about half of the quote requests I get are similar to such posts.

My advice for anyone seeking consultants:

- have extremely detailed requirements of what you need
- make sure you have a realistic budget for your project
- pay a consultant to develop a proper requirements document for the project, including acceptance/testing criteria
- understand that you have to disclose ALL your requirements as project changes increase costs greatly

With the best intentions of everyone involved, quite a few ideas cannot garner the market share to make them a success - or even repay realistic development costs.

DawletMazen wrote:By the way I have 15+ experience in software products and I managed projects up to $3,000,000 so I do appreciate stopping the funny part to discuss business if you are really interested otherwise appreciate that you don't waste our time in some funny jokes
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

User avatar
solar3000
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 12:14 am

Re: RaspberryPI Freelancers

Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:23 pm

I charge $200 an hour.
Antikythera

User avatar
PeterO
Posts: 5128
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: RaspberryPI Freelancers

Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:39 pm

Dawlet,

While you may have 15+ experience in software products and manage projects up to $3,000,000, you have no track record here.

Coming in "all guns blazing" without even introducing yourself in NOT the way to get the kind of help you are asking about.

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Heater
Posts: 13859
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: RaspberryPI Freelancers

Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:15 pm

DawletMazen,

I did the growing up thing many years ago.

I have heard the X years of experience and bazillion dollar project history angle before. Many times. It means nothing and bankrupted one large company I consulted for that fell for it.

Now, since your opening post you have changed your tune with "hardware that we will create...". OK, sounds good. Even if you don't say what it is.

I stand my ground and state that "creating a new customized OS distro for the PI" is a very misguided idea.

If you want to develop software to go with your hardware magic, that is open source and usable on any Linux distro, then we can talk business.

Well, no we can't. You cannot afford me.

Good luck with your venture.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

DawletMazen
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:52 pm

Re: RaspberryPI Freelancers

Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:40 pm

Good luck for you in whatever job you have unless you make living by mocking others, and believe me when I say that I have raised a fund for my project that can afford a much better personality :lol:

Actually a very serious person with an excellent resume has already started discussing with me the details :D
Heater wrote:DawletMazen,

I did the growing up thing many years ago.

I have heard the X years of experience and bazillion dollar project history angle before. Many times. It means nothing and bankrupted one large company I consulted for that fell for it.

Now, since your opening post you have changed your tune with "hardware that we will create...". OK, sounds good. Even if you don't say what it is.

I stand my ground and state that "creating a new customized OS distro for the PI" is a very misguided idea.

If you want to develop software to go with your hardware magic, that is open source and usable on any Linux distro, then we can talk business.

Well, no we can't. You cannot afford me.

Good luck with your venture.

Heater
Posts: 13859
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: RaspberryPI Freelancers

Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:50 pm

DawletMazen,

I don't believe I was doing any mocking there. I did state my case, especially with regard a custom Linux disro, in all seriousness. May be I'm right, maybe I'm wrong.

I wish you luck with your venture.
Last edited by Heater on Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

User avatar
expandables
Posts: 654
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:34 pm
Location: Neverland with Michael Jackson

Re: RaspberryPI Freelancers

Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:49 am

I know "Hello World", and i am more than capable of echoing it on a new or existing Linux distribution also if you need me to do this please PM me as i am interested in the multi-million dollar project.
:twisted:
By thinking like an engineer you can create a raspberry pi.
Michael Jackson enthusiast.
I got the PI model B, B+ and PI 2 model B.
When will I get the A? I don't know.

hippy
Posts: 6210
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: RaspberryPI Freelancers

Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:21 pm

PeterO wrote:Coming in "all guns blazing" without even introducing yourself in NOT the way to get the kind of help you are asking about.
I don't see anything unreasonable in the opening post. Some guy has an idea, wants some help, is offering to pay for that help, asks for those interested to get in touch.

Then everyone piled-on, seemingly suggesting he's some sort of idiot, doesn't know what he's doing or what he's talking about, and now suggesting it wasn't the right way to ask.

Hardly a pleasant welcome.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 24116
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: RaspberryPI Freelancers

Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:39 pm

Quite. Can I remind people that going in all guns blazing before you really know what the post is about makes you look like a fool (and I'm not talking about the OP here). You can continue to do it of course, but then you'll look even more of a fool, and I'll delete the posts anyway.

If you think you are too expensive, I'd suggest dropping out of the thread completely. But since no figures have been mentioned, I'm not sure how anyone could know.

So please keep this on topic, and polite.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

ejolson
Posts: 3792
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:47 am

Re: RaspberryPI Freelancers

Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:00 pm

DawletMazen wrote: For now I am looking to hire someone who can help with creating a new customized OS distro for the PI, we can use one of the available distros and customize or we can start from scratch by picking the latest linux kernel and add the needed packages as we go.
While having your own distribution in house would allow control for quality assurance and reliability, security updates are turning out to be a big issue with internet connected devices. Therefore, unless your project is not going to connect to the internet, building upon a standard distribution with security updates might be a good idea. A full Raspbian distribution would not be appropriate, however, Minibian or Raspbian Light which are based off of the same repositories might work.

Return to “General discussion”