galicin

Raspberry Pi Zero + old dynadock

Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:50 am

I've received as gift a shiny new Pi Zero and decided to use it with my old Toshiba dynadock.
The result was not just proof of concept, but quite nice mediacenter which setup take me ~15min:
PiZero1.jpg
PiZero1.jpg (40.84 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
PiZero2.jpg
PiZero2.jpg (53.41 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
Dynadock comes with 5A power supply and have 4 rear and 2 front USBs. The front USBs are always powered and I've used one of them to power the Pi. On the rear you have Ethernet which works fine with OpenELEC without any extra settings. In the above configuration I also add 1.5T HDD, BT dongle (for my 8Bitdo FC30 GamePads) and Unifying receiver.

bugsy_malone 666

Re: Raspberry Pi Zero + old dynadock

Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:36 am

I did wonder if this might have been possible a while back, however I ended up throwing one I had away!

Having taken one of those docks (or possibly a levovo one)apart its actually an ARM processor that runs it inside, I think its something like a dual core 360mhz one or something.

With the pi being so small you could easily fit the pi inside it.

Have you tried getting video out through the dock?

Reuse old tech and repurpose = awesome :)

galicin

Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:54 am

In the past I did check with RPi2 the audio spdif (toslink) and it works with the standard OpenELEC image.
For the displaylink (DVI video output) - I'll try it and it should be possible as someone post info that he do that with a Pi, but I believe I should install extra packages and do specific configuration on OpenELEC.

castletonroad

Thu May 16, 2019 6:49 am

My pi3B does not seem to detect the networking interface of the Toshiba (U3) dock.

Currently my pi can use the dock as a powered USB hub, but I would like to get the network on this as well. (It's headless, so I'm not fussed about the display.)

Anyone else got their pi working with networking through a Toshiba dock?

Cheers - Steven.
Raspberry Pi 4 Model B | Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | Raspberry Pi 2 Model B

castletonroad

Thu May 16, 2019 7:21 am

Ah, all good now.

ifconfig shows a 'usb0' device; plugged in a CAT5 cable and we're good.

Not sure why this was not showing when I first hooked up teh dock to the pi...
Raspberry Pi 4 Model B | Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | Raspberry Pi 2 Model B

Return to “General discussion”