piglet

Is there an ETA for more general availability of PI Zeros?

Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:01 am

As per subject, does anyone know when there will be more general availability of Pi Zero boards at the foundation-intended price?

RaTTuS

Re: Is there an ETA for more general availability of PI Zero

Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:04 am

the foundation will ;) but I assume they will not say .... :(
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:04 am

They are being produced as I type this. As to when they hit the shelves, dunno, but there are some on the way.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

piglet

Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:12 am

Thank you.

I have to say it's really nice to see the Foundation able to do this without the commercial middle-men. Hopefully this will convert to a nice revenue stream for the charity as well as a lot more boards out there getting used for education in the wider sense. (i.e. I'm not "in education", but I'm learning new things every time I use a Raspberry Pi.)

jjex22

Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:19 am

Only two things I've read was that for those that subscribed to magpi and started their sub at #40, they were going to be delivering reprints from Dec 11, and one of the resellers here in Aus originally said they expected stock from mid Jan, which then changed to "not expected in 2015".

All rumours and gossip of course, but rest assured that they are being made, and I'm sure the wait won't be too long.. even if it's longer than we can bare :( I'm just telling myself Feb, hoping to be presently surprised ;)
I had the idea for a single board computer in every seat on airplanes... but it all just seemed a bit Pi in the Sky!

jamesh

Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:59 am

piglet wrote:Thank you.

I have to say it's really nice to see the Foundation able to do this without the commercial middle-men. Hopefully this will convert to a nice revenue stream for the charity as well as a lot more boards out there getting used for education in the wider sense. (i.e. I'm not "in education", but I'm learning new things every time I use a Raspberry Pi.)
It's not a good revenue stream (How much profit can you make on a $5 board!), but it is important to get more boards out there. It's a tradeoff.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

piglet

Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:12 pm

jamesh wrote:
piglet wrote:It's not a good revenue stream (How much profit can you make on a $5 board!), but it is important to get more boards out there. It's a tradeoff.
When I wrote my original post I actually added and then removed that I thought the $5 price point was too low. Much as I like cheap things, I can't see another couple of $ per unit as revenue stream for the Foundation making any impact on their popularity.

I don't know how best to suggest this, but if that was done and some of the money spent on developing a Foundation-approved bare-metal development environment then this would open up a massive new market in the maker space where Linux isn't wanted.

mikerr

Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:41 pm

piglet wrote:I have to say it's really nice to see the Foundation able to do this without the commercial middle-men.
Nice, but not sure its a good idea long term, would there be the same shortage of stock if farnell had fronted the cost / stock ?

First run of zeroes was 30k,compare that to first run of Pi-2 of 100k

I'll personally be ordering 10-20 when they come back in stock !
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

gkreidl

Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:45 pm

jamesh wrote: It's not a good revenue stream (How much profit can you make on a $5 board!), but it is important to get more boards out there. It's a tradeoff.
I think the Foundation should raise the price to 7$ to generate some revenue in 2016. And there should be an offer to registered resellers world wide to get them for $6 in quantities (50+), if they promise to sell them for the local equivalent of 7$ + VAT.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

RaTTuS

Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:09 pm

they came and went a pimoroni today
I saw then in stock but was not fast enough to nab one
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh

Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:13 pm

I think they would still sell at that price. Who knows what will happen!

Lots of thinking being done at the Foundation, interesting times!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:31 pm

piglet wrote:As per subject, does anyone know when there will be more general availability of Pi Zero boards at the foundation-intended price?
Probably its not a case of "the point in time when there will be general availability", as producing them, and putting them on sale is a continuous process.
The question "when will production meet or excess demand" is a more valid, but much harder to answer question.
I don't see the need to change the pricing.

piglet

Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:56 pm

Yes, "when will production meet or exceed demand"" was close to where I was heading. Actually what I was asking was "Please sir, can I have some more buy one soon?"

Re: "I don't see the need to change the pricing" - I see it more of "There could be significant benefits to the charity of increasing the price which might not adversely impact the sales or uptake."

[edit] Thanks - that works! [/edit]
Last edited by piglet on Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rpdom

Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:02 pm

piglet wrote:Yes, "when will production meet or exceed demand"" was close to where I was heading. Actually what I was asking was "Please sir, can I have some more buy one soon?" (Darn it, I miss the [strike] bbcode!)
That seems to work - change "strike" to just "s" :)

jamesh

Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:17 pm

Foundation couldn't survive if Zero was the only product. Simply not enough profit. They need to sell the whole range of Pi's.

Of course, the Zero is a targetted at a much smaller market the the other's Pi's - it simply doesn't have the features to compete with the PI2. So I suspect once the initial demand dies off, that other Pi sales will dwarf the Zero.

mikerr

Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:41 pm

RaTTuS wrote:they came and went a pimoroni today
I saw then in stock but was not fast enough to nab one
O Really ? pimorni shop itself, or the swag store ?
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Pithagoros

Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:48 pm

About an hour ago, official Raspberry Pi twitter account tweeted a photo of 5000 MagPi issue 40 on a pallet looking like it was ready to go out the door .

In fact https://twitter.com/Raspberry_Pi/status ... gr%5Etweet

I think they are for export, looking at the conversation below, some are going to the USA.

mikerr

Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:59 pm

From another tweet:
https://twitter.com/Raspberry_Pi/status ... 7141491712
https://twitter.com/EbenUpton/status/671745110174998528

They're making 2000 pi zeros per day
jamesh wrote:Of course, the Zero is a targetted at a much smaller market the the other's Pi's - it simply doesn't have the features to compete with the PI2.
So I suspect once the initial demand dies off, that other Pi sales will dwarf the Zero.
Hmm - i suspect most sales of Zero will be in multiples (I'm in line for another 10!) which may make it the top seller over time.

jamesh

Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:27 pm

mikerr wrote:From another tweet:
https://twitter.com/Raspberry_Pi/status ... 7141491712
https://twitter.com/EbenUpton/status/671745110174998528

They're making 2000 pi zeros per day
jamesh wrote:Of course, the Zero is a targetted at a much smaller market the the other's Pi's - it simply doesn't have the features to compete with the PI2.
So I suspect once the initial demand dies off, that other Pi sales will dwarf the Zero.
Hmm - i suspect most sales of Zero will be in multiples (I'm in line for another 10!) which may make it the top seller over time.
Given profit per zero is undoubtedly very low, being a really big seller doesn't help in the long run!!

LFHeller

Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:32 pm

I ordered two from Farnell. The acknowlegment states delivery W/C 25/1/2016, FWIW.

Leon
Leon Heller
G1HSM

paulhothersall

Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:02 pm

I would be happy when a distributor could have a predictable supply that they could they could speak about.

I am happy to order 500 pi zeros right now, (with multiple to follow) for a use case we where otherwise looking at a CM for.

davidcoton

Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:49 pm

piglet wrote: When I wrote my original post I actually added and then removed that I thought the $5 price point was too low. Much as I like cheap things, I can't see another couple of $ per unit as revenue stream for the Foundation making any impact on their popularity.
The Foundation is a charity. Presumably you can make a donation. And in the UK, Gift Aid means the government will contribute something too (AIUI they will pay slightly more than the basic rate tax on the income that funded the donation -- effectively increasing the donation's value by a third (WOW!). In some circumstances (not sure if it applies to RPF) donations under £20 each don't require any paperwork and Gift Aid is available even if no tax was actually paid, up to an aggregate for each charity of a few £1000. So if even one purchaser in ten donated £1 ... go on, do the sums yourself (on a Pi0 of course).

Just sometimes the taxman can be extremely generous.
Signature retired

piglet

Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:02 pm

davidcoton wrote:The Foundation is a charity. Presumably you can make a donation.
Yes, I know. I do my charity giving through GAYE "Give As You Earn". Even if I changed GAYE to "Give All You Earn" I most certainly couldn't get anywhere near what a couple of $ on each Pi Zero would achieve...

Anyway, enough of this. I have a corrupting I2C LCD on the Pi to try to work out what is going wrong. It's driving me potty.

stderr

Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:43 pm

jamesh wrote:Of course, the Zero is a targetted at a much smaller market the the other's Pi's - it simply doesn't have the features to compete with the PI2. So I suspect once the initial demand dies off, that other Pi sales will dwarf the Zero.
Except that people are often actually going to buy ten or twenty of the pi Zero if they can really get them for $5. And because it's a standard device which is very likely to be supported with operating system updates for a long time, it makes more sense than something with only a few thousand produced, assuming similar prices. But if the $9 selling for $8 people in Oakland are for real, their set up comes with the flash needed to boot, therefore there isn't a ton of room for the Zero to go up in price, assuming that, again, the stated price of the Oakland board is what they claim. If they are playing around making their profits with shipping, things come back to the pi.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:49 pm

piglet wrote:Yes, "when will production meet or exceed demand"" was close to where I was heading. Actually what I was asking was "Please sir, can I have some more buy one soon?"

Re: "I don't see the need to change the pricing" - I see it more of "There could be significant benefits to the charity of increasing the price which might not adversely impact the sales or uptake."

[edit] Thanks - that works! [/edit]
It's like the old Engineering line...Efficiency depends on what you are trying to efficiece. Sure...IF the RPF raised the price AND the boards sell at nearly the same rate, THEN the RPF would have more money to pour into its educational goals. But what if the idea of a $5 computer *is* an educational goal?

Return to “General discussion”