4thdwarflord

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:55 am

Can someone help me? when i use berryboot, i cant connect to my wifi. i am using the edimax 7811un dongle, and it recognises it. my problem comes when i am trying to connect to the network. my network is open, could that be a problem?

Max

Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:42 pm

4thdwarflord wrote:Can someone help me? when i use berryboot, i cant connect to my wifi. i am using the edimax 7811un dongle, and it recognises it. my problem comes when i am trying to connect to the network. my network is open, could that be a problem?
Only support networks with WPA encryption.

kakemanx

Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:07 pm

In regards to the Chamelion image..

Anyone bother to help convert and upload the converted file somewhere?
Cant seen to get it working... i've managed to get it on to the berryboot card and it boots... but at the screen with the computer pictures, it just stoppes there with the text loading.... blinking...

danny54

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:43 pm

Hello,

I just found this tool and it looks great.

Hardware:
RPi type B 512Mb
SanDisk 32 MicroSDHC class 4 (both raspbian and raspbmc install and boot with no problems on it)
k360 wireless logitech keyboard

My problem is that after it installs the first OS (I tried with Raspbian and OpenElec), when I press Exit the screen just goes blank and only the red "Power" LED remains on. I left it like that for 10 minutes and nothing changed. If I disconnect/reconnect the power, either just the red power LED turns on or both Activity(continuously) and power for about half a minute and then the Activity LED turns off. In both cases the screen says no signal.

I've tried multiple tv's (HDMI only) and monitors (HDMI and dvi-d) no signal on any of them.

I also tried formatting (when it asks, within berryboot) using both the default ext4 notrim/discard and the normal ext4. - every time I had to use my main PC to reformat (using diskpart, clean <if I just reformat the fat partition that berryboot creates and copy the contents of the zip it doesn't work, shows the same symptoms) and recopy the contents of the berryboot zip

also, if I don't install anything after allowing berryboot to reformat and prepare the sd card, and just exit, it still doesn't boot anymore after that

Max

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:58 pm

danny54 wrote: My problem is that after it installs the first OS (I tried with Raspbian and OpenElec), when I press Exit the screen just goes blank and only the red "Power" LED remains on.
Try a different SD card.
Or use a USB stick/drive as storage.

both raspbian and raspbmc install and boot with no problems on it
Does Raspbian still work properly if you update its kernel and firmware?
Berryboot comes with a newer version by default. Perhaps the new version doesn't get along with your SD card.

danny54

Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:59 pm

Max wrote:
danny54 wrote: My problem is that after it installs the first OS (I tried with Raspbian and OpenElec), when I press Exit the screen just goes blank and only the red "Power" LED remains on.
Try a different SD card.
Or use a USB stick/drive as storage.

both raspbian and raspbmc install and boot with no problems on it
Does Raspbian still work properly if you update its kernel and firmware?
Berryboot comes with a newer version by default. Perhaps the new version doesn't get along with your SD card.
Yes it does, at least the kernel... I've never done a firmware update. I haven't tried another SD card but I will try the usb drive later. I've just installed OpenElec with the latest build made today taken from Chris Swan's blog (what firmware does that have?) and it is awesome. I just wish I had multiboot along side it.

danny54

Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:18 pm

Ok, tested with a usb flash drive and it works :shock: . I wonder how I could troubleshoot this, or report it. :(

federmito

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:08 am

my tv says no signal ..i have extracted all the zip in the sd card but nothing.. :?

antonholmstedt

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:16 pm

New images made by me:

Newest OpenElec (2.99.2): http://ge.tt/72YDkdW/v/1
SqueezePlug 6.0.2 Hardfloat: http://ge.tt/72YDkdW/v/0

Just add them to the usb drive and have fun :)

DavidS

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:01 pm

Berrboot seems to be the only Multiple OS boot manager available at this time. Unfortunately itseems to use a small linux for setup and installation.

I would like to know:
Is there a manual install version, so that the binaries and config files may be dropped in the Boot partition and edited for the desired configuration manually. I use RISC OS as my primary OS, and I play on bare metal. Because I do not have a reliable SD Driver that runs on are metal I can not write my own Boot Manager for testing bare metal projects, and I am sure that I am not the only one that would apeciate this.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Max

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:20 pm

DavidS wrote:Berrboot seems to be the only Multiple OS boot manager available at this time. Unfortunately itseems to use a small linux for setup and installation.
Not just for setup, it always runs under Linux, and is only meant to start Linux distributions.
I use RISC OS as my primary OS, and I play on bare metal. Because I do not have a reliable SD Driver that runs on are metal I can not write my own Boot Manager for testing bare metal projects, and I am sure that I am not the only one that would apeciate this.
If you would like to add your own OS, you need to find a way to start it from within Linux. Perhaps that is possible with kexec(), but I have not tried it.

DavidS

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:07 pm

Ok thank you I will have to get my SD code far enough trite my own boot manager (I just do not like having to constantly swap the SD CARD out after testing to change the config.txt to boot back into RISC OS). I develop my bare metal stuff under RISC OS so I test it on the same SD Card as i run my development system on.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

DexOS

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:14 pm

If you want a simple bare metal multi boot loader, its would be very simple to code, the bare metal drivers to read sectors are out there and you only need to write a simple root dir file sys to find the file and load it into memory and jump to it, less than a weekends work ;) .
Batteries not included, Some assembly required.

antonholmstedt

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:16 pm

Max is it possible to overclock RPi when using Berryboot? Is changes in config read? :)

Max

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:20 pm

antonholmstedt wrote:Max is it possible to overclock RPi when using Berryboot?
Yes, but I will not provide instructions for it.
It is only safe to do so if you are not using a SD card as storage.

antonholmstedt

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:25 pm

Max wrote:
antonholmstedt wrote:Max is possible to overclock RPi when using Berryboot?
Yes, but I will not provide instructions for it.
It is only safe to do so, if you are not using a SD card as storage.
Thanks for quick answer! Will edit the file now since I'm using a usb drive.

Axilot

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:15 am

Max wrote:
Need to create a wpa_supplicant.conf file on the FAT partition of the SD card.
Can do this from within the Berryboot GUI by going to "advanced settings" -> tab "wpa_supplicant.conf"

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
ap_scan=1
network={
   ssid="your-ssid"
   psk="your-password"
}
Need to reboot before settings take affect.
Thank you for the reply.
I've tryed your suggestion but not work, berryboot say " there is an error in wpa _supplicant"
I' ve also try to copy wpa_supplicant.conf from installed Raspian (wifi working) with same error.
Moreover I found that cannot start the console with Ctrl+Alt+F2 (just to check if dongle was recognized)
Maybe is my wifi usb dongle with Rtl8187 chip unsupported from berryboot?

Max

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:35 pm

Axilot wrote: I've tryed your suggestion but not work, berryboot say " there is an error in wpa _supplicant"
I' ve also try to copy wpa_supplicant.conf from installed Raspian (wifi working) with same error.
Moreover I found that cannot start the console with Ctrl+Alt+F2 (just to check if dongle was recognized)
Maybe is my wifi usb dongle with Rtl8187 chip unsupported from berryboot?
Could be that it is too slow in making a connection.
Berryboot tries a DHCP request once.

Need to click ">>" -> "console" in the GUI to activate tty2.
It is only activated by default during initial installation.

Axilot

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:52 pm

Max wrote:

Thank you very much for the support.
Yes, I've clicked on the Gui button and try the key combination after message " terminal activated ", maybe a problem with my wireless keyborad I will try with another one.

zoidberg

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:34 am

antonholmstedt wrote:New images made by me:

Newest OpenElec (2.99.2): http://ge.tt/72YDkdW/v/1
SqueezePlug 6.0.2 Hardfloat: http://ge.tt/72YDkdW/v/0

Just add them to the usb drive and have fun :)
Thank you very much!!!

Can you make a tutorial on how to convert the openelec image to berryboot? I tried to follow the tutorial on berryboot page but all the images I created failed to boot :(

Max

Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:34 am

zoidberg wrote: Can you make a tutorial on how to convert the openelec image to berryboot?
Take SYSTEM file from OpenELEC.tar.bz2, rename it to my-openelec-image-for-berryboot.img128
Already in the right format. ;)

Does require that it is a recent version (version of rPi firmware/libraries it was compiled for, must match version that is shipped with Berryboot)

zoidberg

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:26 am

Max wrote:
zoidberg wrote: Can you make a tutorial on how to convert the openelec image to berryboot?
Take SYSTEM file from OpenELEC.tar.bz2, rename it to my-openelec-image-for-berryboot.img128
Already in the right format. ;)

Does require that it is a recent version (version of rPi firmware/libraries it was compiled for, must match version that is shipped with Berryboot)
so simple!

I was converting from img to squashfs, but with no success..

Thank you!

PS: how can we update? since the manual update does not work? can we replace the files inside the image somehow? using raspbian maybe?

Max

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:15 am

zoidberg wrote:PS: how can we update? since the manual update does not work? can we replace the files inside the image somehow? using raspbian maybe?
Inside Raspbian or any other Linux distribution (as long as it is not the one you are replacing):
  • mount the raw SD card storage somewhere: sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /mnt
  • Check what the full name of your old image is: ls -l /mnt/images
  • Copy the new image file over the old one: sudo cp your-new-OpenELEC.img128 /mnt/images/your-old-OpenELEC.img128
Changes you make to the file system are kept in a seperate folder: /mnt/data/name-of-image
So you can replace the original image with the operating system files, without affecting your own custom files.
If you want to rename an image f.ex because the old image has the old version number in its name, do make sure you rename both the image file, and its /mnt/data folder (or do the rename through the Berryboot GUI).

Axilot

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:11 am

Axilot wrote:
Max wrote:

Thank you very much for the support.
Yes, I've clicked on the Gui button and try the key combination after message " terminal activated ", maybe a problem with my wireless keyborad I will try with another one.
Ok the problem was the stupid microsoft keyboard.
Now can access the terminal and login as root,
but I've found that iwconfig is not present, with ifconfig I can see only ethernet adapter.

Max

Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:39 pm

Axilot wrote: Ok the problem was the stupid microsoft keyboard.
Now can access the terminal and login as root,
but I've found that iwconfig is not present, with ifconfig I can see only ethernet adapter.
Berryboot only uses the wpa_supplicant and udhcpc binary and not iwconfig.

Adapter doesn't appear in "dmesg" and "ls /sys/class/net" either?
Could be that your card is simply not supported.

Return to “General discussion”