Max

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:00 am

Stolen Goods wrote:Is there a chance we'll be seeing a repo upload of the Raspbian Chameleon Remix anytime soon?
Not at this time.
While I think it is an interesting project, there are some issues with distributing copyrighted bits, ancient or not.

jagcos

Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:58 pm

Can I request XBian 1.0 Alpha 4 squashfs image?

AddicusT

Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:02 pm

antonholmstedt wrote:
AddicusT wrote:
antonholmstedt wrote:Here it is, soft float Debian:
http://ge.tt/4J3u3ZV/v/0
Is this in squashfx format, because it doesn't work.
Yes it is, and it boots in berryboot for me. What happens when you start it?

Anyone else that have tried it?
it just says error copying file after a long time of trying to copy file.

apple does put invivible files on everything mabe thats it. i only deleted the invisible files off the sd card.

Max

Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:53 pm

AddicusT wrote:it just says error copying file after a long time of trying to copy file.
Sign of a broken file system on either the SD card or USB stick.
Can for example happen if you remove the USB stick from your computer too soon, before Windows/MacOS was done writing to it when initially copying the file over.

You get a different message ("Image is not in SquashFS format") if the image file itself was not right.

EluZioN

Re: OS Install From USB

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:55 am

Max wrote:
EluZioN wrote: I have made these images with squashfs on a debian VM using kpartx and also mounting the extracted image inside a download img.
Between mount and mksquashfs, try commenting out the lines in /mnt/etc/fstab

Commenting out the entry for the root filesystem should prevent fsck being executed. The root file system is already mounted read-write by Berryboot, so you don't need it.
And commenting out the /boot entry will prevent update software from messing with the Raspberry firmware (which lacks binary compatibility, and doesn't always get along that well with Linux kernels that were build for a different version).
Thank You Max. I commented out the partitions as you mentioned above and it boots and operates fine. I was unsure what to do with the /boot entry you mentioned so that was unchanged. Great utility and even better support, kudos :)

antonholmstedt

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:16 am

EluZioN wrote:
Max wrote:
EluZioN wrote: I have made these images with squashfs on a debian VM using kpartx and also mounting the extracted image inside a download img.
Between mount and mksquashfs, try commenting out the lines in /mnt/etc/fstab

Commenting out the entry for the root filesystem should prevent fsck being executed. The root file system is already mounted read-write by Berryboot, so you don't need it.
And commenting out the /boot entry will prevent update software from messing with the Raspberry firmware (which lacks binary compatibility, and doesn't always get along that well with Linux kernels that were build for a different version).
Thank You Max. I commented out the partitions as you mentioned above and it boots and operates fine. I was unsure what to do with the /boot entry you mentioned so that was unchanged. Great utility and even better support, kudos :)
What exactly did you write to comment it out? Think I have to do that myself with an image :)

Max

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:24 pm

antonholmstedt wrote: What exactly did you write to comment it out?
Put a # in front of the line, using your favorite text editor.

antonholmstedt

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:21 pm

Max wrote:
antonholmstedt wrote: What exactly did you write to comment it out?
Put a # in front of the line, using your favorite text editor.
Shuld I mount the hole image then and edit the file, and then mksquashfs?

Max

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:24 pm

antonholmstedt wrote: Shuld I mount the hole image then and edit the file, and then mksquashfs?
Yes, do any editing between mount and mksquahfs.

jfornango

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:07 pm

Quick question: Is there any reason, that you can think of, that I wouldn't be able to make one of the OSes on a BB card an Android install?

I am looking to set up a sampler card with Raspian, XBMC, RISC and Razdroid (each on a 2GB partition).

I realize that this is ambitious, and I have a lot more reading to do on BB and each of the distros, but I think that once I have this set up (assuming it's possible) and into a standard .img, folks might like to grab it as a "play card." A chance to try all the OSes, and flip around as desired.

Maybe play around with a smaller "developer card" image, with Raspian and Razdroid on a 4GB card.
I'm only wearing black until they find something darker.

antonholmstedt

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:18 pm

Max wrote:
antonholmstedt wrote: Shuld I mount the hole image then and edit the file, and then mksquashfs?
Yes, do any editing between mount and mksquahfs.
Thanks for your quick replies, maybe the best thing about Berryboot! :)

One more question then, do I just use the command described to mount at loop0p2, because I can only see one of the partitions then, right? Sorry for all the questions but I'm fairly new to linux :)

Max

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:43 pm

antonholmstedt wrote: One more question then, do I just use the command described to mount at loop0p2, because I can only see one of the partitions then, right? Sorry for all the questions but I'm fairly new to linux :)
Need to do "kpartx -av name-of-original-image.img" first.
You then mount the partition mapping that kpartx says it created for you, and ends with p2 (partition 2).
If it says it created mapping loop0p2 you mount that, if it says it created it created loop99p2, use that.

It will use the first available loop device, normally loop0. If you have something else already using a loop device, the number will be higher.

antonholmstedt

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:20 pm

Max wrote:
antonholmstedt wrote: One more question then, do I just use the command described to mount at loop0p2, because I can only see one of the partitions then, right? Sorry for all the questions but I'm fairly new to linux :)
Need to do "kpartx -av name-of-original-image.img" first.
You then mount the partition mapping that kpartx says it created for you, and ends with p2 (partition 2).
If it says it created mapping loop0p2 you mount that, if it says it created it created loop99p2, use that.

It will use the first available loop device, normally loop0. If you have something else already using a loop device, the number will be higher.
Yes that part is no problem, but how do I find fstab then?

Max

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:28 pm

antonholmstedt wrote:Yes that part is no problem, but how do I find fstab then?
If you do "mount /dev/mapper/loop0p2 /mnt", the files of the image will become accessible at mount point /mnt.
So /mnt/etc/fstab

antonholmstedt

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:00 pm

Max wrote:
antonholmstedt wrote:Yes that part is no problem, but how do I find fstab then?
If you do "mount /dev/mapper/loop0p2 /mnt", the files of the image will become accessible at mount point /mnt.
So /mnt/etc/fstab
Thanks a lot! Got Squeezeplug soft float up and running, but just read that a spotify plugin for hard float has been released så will start all over. Now I know how to do it so.. :)

strasharo

Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:13 pm

Is it possible to enter the LUKS encryption password remotely over the network for a headless setup? For example something like http://www.howtoforge.com/remotely-unlo ... an-squeeze or via a VNC session? :?

Max

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:53 pm

strasharo wrote:Is it possible to enter the LUKS encryption password remotely over the network for a headless setup?
Nope, is too complicated.
How do you know the server (Pi) you are sending your password to, is really your server?

strasharo

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:10 pm

Separate RSA/DSS are being generated for Dropbear and it has its own unique public key fingerprint which persists during reboots. :roll:

Max

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:42 pm

strasharo wrote:Separate RSA/DSS are being generated for Dropbear and it has its own unique public key fingerprint which persists during reboots. :roll:
Yes, but the main purpose of disk encryption is to protect your data against people that have physical access to it.
If someone has physical access to your Pi, he could also borrow the SSH host key (which has to be stored unencrypted) from it and impersonate your Pi.
Would require a board with TPM functionality to do this securely.

Axilot

Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:35 pm

Hi
I've installed openelec and raspian easly with Berryboot,
vnc headless option is amazing.

But I've selected ethernet connetion the first time,
now I don't understand how to change it and use wifi to upgrade/install new distro.

Max

Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:49 pm

Axilot wrote: But I've selected ethernet connetion the first time,
now I don't understand how to change it and use wifi to upgrade/install new distro.
Need to create a wpa_supplicant.conf file on the FAT partition of the SD card.
Can do this from within the Berryboot GUI by going to "advanced settings" -> tab "wpa_supplicant.conf"

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
ap_scan=1
network={
   ssid="your-ssid"
   psk="your-password"
}
Need to reboot before settings take affect.

kakemanx

Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:11 pm

Hi, i'm trying to mksquashfs the chameleon image file
But i'm getting this error:

[email protected]:/home/kenneth# mksquashfs /mnt chameleon_v021.img -comp lzo -e lib/modules
mksquashfs: invalid option

Anyone that can enlighten me, or point me to a allready modified img file? :)

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:14 pm

kakemanx

Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:39 pm

Davespice wrote:There is a torrent for it here;
http://chameleon.enging.com/chameleon.img.bz2.torrent
Can i put this directly to an USB stick and choose install os from USB?

Max

Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:10 pm

kakemanx wrote: [email protected]:/home/kenneth# mksquashfs /mnt chameleon_v021.img -comp lzo -e lib/modules
mksquashfs: invalid option
Means your mksquahfs is old and does not support LZO compression.
Either upgrade it, or leave out the "-comp lzo" to let it use gzip compression instead (which is slightly slower).

Return to “General discussion”