Max

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:27 am

furrysalamander wrote:I already downloaded that one I think, and It only showed 256mb of ram.
Showed where?

furrysalamander

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:31 am

not sure. I think it might have been something with the ram split, or when I launched the os it said 256mb ram. I'm redownloading everything, and I'm getting a 5mb download, so it should be done shortly. I ran speedtest.net at school today, they get 30mb up and down! With EVERYONE ELSE using it! crazy! I'll let you know when I get it reinstalled.

Max

Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:52 am

furrysalamander wrote:not sure. I think it might have been something with the ram split, or when I launched the os it said 256mb ram.
Ah, you can ignore what it says about memsplits.
Entering "free" on the console should show that you have about 470 MB of usable RAM.
I'm redownloading everything, and I'm getting a 5mb download, so it should be done shortly. I ran speedtest.net at school today, they get 30mb up and down! With EVERYONE ELSE using it! crazy!
Nice.

furrysalamander

Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:39 am

okay, thanks!

SimonSmall

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:41 pm

I have only recently discovered the BerryBoot utility - wow! It seems to be just the thing for the absolute beginner, but I have only just started playing with it. Having read this thread, there seems to be a lot of things that it can do. I don't seem to be able to find much information about how to use BerryBoot; is there a recommended place to get it?

If more information needs to be written, I can add the BerryBoot into the Wiki. I will just have to experiment a bit first.

Just a minor thing... I have downloaded Sugar and OpenELEC with BerryBoot, and thought I would also do the Raspian image (which I have on a separate SD card using the image write method). It starts to download, but freezes after a short (the mouse and keyboard don't respond). I have to power off the Pi to get out of the download screen. What do I need to check to resolve this? (I think I will try loading from USB soon, so it is not urgent)

Thanks for BerryBoot :o)

klamathxor

Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:53 pm

Max,

It took over 30 hours to finish repacking the berryboot.img file, im now getting a static IP address assignment, however the iscsi disconnect issues still persist when booting iscsi images with berryboot.

Example when booting Rasprazor, system boots OK, populating /dev and cleaning up /tmp file systems, however when DHCP advertisement occurs during boot, im unable to ping the static IP address of berryboot and Rasprazor ceases to boot and hangs with DHCP responses. I have noticed this with Raspbian when initiating a shutdown, once dhcp address deallocation is done, system halts without a clean shutdown taking place.

Im a little fuzzy on how berryboot assigns the iscsi session to the target OS, id like to dive into this problem further with you because I feel iscsi and the raspberry PI are the best match for IO seen in the wild at this point.

Very appreciative of all the help as well, I've picked up a few ticks while working with you on this matter.

-Tim

Max wrote:
klamathxor wrote:This is outside of my scope of knowledge. Would editing the 'buildroot-2012.05/package/berrybootgui2/init' and repackaging the berryboot.img take less time?
Repacking berryboot.img may indeed be faster.
In short:

Code: Select all

Edit buildroot-2012.05/package/berrybootgui2/interfaces 
./rebuild-berryboot.sh
Edit buildroot-2012.05/output/target/etc/resolv.conf
./rebuild-berryboot.sh
No need to edit "init".
When it needs network access Berryboot calls "ifup eth0" which parses /etc/network/interfaces.

Max

Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:28 am

SimonSmall wrote:It starts to download, but freezes after a short (the mouse and keyboard don't respond).
Your Pi might not be getting along well with your SD card.
File writes occur in the UI thread.
If writing to SD card never finishes, the UI will be unresponsive as well.

Max

Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:35 am

klamathxor wrote: It took over 30 hours to finish repacking the berryboot.img file,
Should take about an hour on modern hardware.
Check that your system is not running out of memory and swapping.
Example when booting Rasprazor, system boots OK, populating /dev and cleaning up /tmp file systems, however when DHCP advertisement occurs during boot, im unable to ping the static IP address of berryboot and Rasprazor ceases to boot and hangs with DHCP responses.
Might need to edit /etc/network/interfaces of the individual distributions.
Try removing "auto eth0" there.

furrysalamander

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:56 am

Just a thought for some distros you could add: pwnpi (pwnpi.net) and maybe all the distros available on the main downloads page as well.

furrysalamander

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:57 am

Just a thought for some distros you could add: pwnpi (pwnpi.net) and maybe all the distros available on the main downloads page as well.

furrysalamander

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:58 am

oops, double post. Darn 3DS...

noob

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:33 pm

are there also videos of it?

Galo

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:17 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to recompile Berryboot on a Ubuntu machine,
but I have this error

adddialog.cpp:54:27: fatal error: openssl/pkcs7.h: No such file or directory

It seems that the buildroot system misses the openssl dev library .

What is the correct way to solve it? 'cause I copied the file of the ubuntu distro in the correct directory, but now (obviously) the openssl lib misses. I should copy from the raspi distib....

Thank you

Max

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:44 pm

Galo wrote:I'm trying to recompile Berryboot on a Ubuntu machine,
but I have this error

adddialog.cpp:54:27: fatal error: openssl/pkcs7.h: No such file or directory
Make sure you have the latest Berryboot source and double check that openssl is listed as dependency in buildroot-2012.05/package/berrybootgui2/berrybootgui2.mk

Max

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:51 pm

noob wrote:are there also videos of it?
Believe there are some on Youtube.

Galo

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:31 pm

Max wrote: Make sure you have the latest Berryboot source and double check that openssl is listed as dependency in buildroot-2012.05/package/berrybootgui2/berrybootgui2.mk
You're right. I don't know who edited that file, maybe some little troll inside my box... or perhaps I used old berryboot. Thank you

Stolen Goods

Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:44 am

I'm currently using BB 1.0, and when I click on the option to update to 1.1, it downloads the patch, and then gives me the "Downloaded file corrupt (sha1 does not match)" error every time I attempt this.
I'm currently on a fresh, brand-new install of 1.0 as I type this. First boot.

Also, OpenElec isn't on the OS list anymore, even while all the others are still there. Any reason for that?
Defeating the 6KiB profile image limit since 2013.
(Guess who and I'll change it to something else!)

Max

Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:24 pm

Stolen Goods wrote:I'm currently using BB 1.0, and when I click on the option to update to 1.1, it downloads the patch, and then gives me the "Downloaded file corrupt (sha1 does not match)" error every time I attempt this.
Reuploaded the files. Can you try if it works better now?
Also, OpenElec isn't on the OS list anymore, even while all the others are still there. Any reason for that?
Need to update Berryboot first.
Newest version of OpenELEC doesn't work with older firmware.
That is the annoying thing about the Pi's userspace libraries/GPU firmware , they lack binary compatibility between versions.

Stolen Goods

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:20 am

Decided to just paste the new 2.0 files instead, as I hadn't done anything significant other than install Raspbian. All is well!
Defeating the 6KiB profile image limit since 2013.
(Guess who and I'll change it to something else!)

antonholmstedt

Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:17 pm

I'm trying to make a squashfs image of soft float wheezy but have no luck. Shouldn't be any problems, right? :)

Max

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:05 pm

antonholmstedt wrote:I'm trying to make a squashfs image of soft float wheezy but have no luck.
You will have to be a little more specific about which error you run into, if you would like to have help with that.
Shouldn't be any problems, right?
Correct
Berryboot doesn't care which calling convention your programs and libraries use.

antonholmstedt

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:26 am

Max wrote:
antonholmstedt wrote:I'm trying to make a squashfs image of soft float wheezy but have no luck.
You will have to be a little more specific about which error you run into, if you would like to have help with that.
Correct
Berryboot doesn't care which calling convention your programs and libraries use.
Thanks for taking your time helping me!

First steps works fine:

sudo kpartx -av 2012-08-08-wheezy-armel.img
add map loop2p1 (252:0): 0 114688 linear /dev/loop2 8192
add map loop2p2 (252:1): 0 3665920 linear /dev/loop2 12288
But when trying to mount loop0p2, that file can't be found, and when looking in that folder i find loop2p1 and loop2p2. Tried mounting 2p2 and that worked, even though I'm not sure what it does.

However, after that I run in to this:

sudo mksquashfs /mnt 2012-08-08-wheezy-armel.img -comp lzo -e lib/modules
mksquashfs: invalid option

SYNTAX:mksquashfs source1 source2 ...  dest [options] [-e list of exclude
dirs/files]
[code]
[/code]

Is mksquashfs not installed properly or is it something with the line? It lists the proper options under it.

Thanks again for your help!

excollier

Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:11 am

Strange, I was able to do this with PiBang last week, then my BerryBoot card corrupted and now I can't convert the PiBang image to get it back onto a new BerryBoot card, what's going on here?

Max

Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:40 pm

antonholmstedt wrote:
Max wrote:
Correct
Thanks for taking your time helping me!

First steps works fine:

sudo kpartx -av 2012-08-08-wheezy-armel.img
add map loop2p1 (252:0): 0 114688 linear /dev/loop2 8192
add map loop2p2 (252:1): 0 3665920 linear /dev/loop2 12288
But when trying to mount loop0p2, that file can't be found, and when looking in that folder i find loop2p1 and loop2p2. Tried mounting 2p2 and that worked, even though I'm not sure what it does.
That's fine. As shown in the output it indeed created a mapping called loop2p2.
That happens if loop0 and loop1 are already in use.

mksquashfs: invalid option

SYNTAX:mksquashfs source1 source2 ...  dest [options] [-e list of exclude
dirs/files]
[code]
[/code]

Is mksquashfs not installed properly or is it something with the line? It lists the proper options under it.
Probably means your mksquashfs is very old, and does not support the lzo compression algorithm.
Try without the "-comp lzo" to let it use gzip instead, which will work as well (but is slower).

antonholmstedt

Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:01 am

Max wrote: Probably means your mksquashfs is very old, and does not support the lzo compression algorithm.
Try without the "-comp lzo" to let it use gzip instead, which will work as well (but is slower).
I updated squashfs but now get this:

Can't find a SQUASHFS superblock on 2012-08-08-wheezy-armel.img
Failed to read existing filesystem - will not overwrite - ABORTING!
To force Mksquashfs to write to this block device or file use -noappend
Should I just force it? :)

Return to “General discussion”