Max

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:07 pm

truehl wrote: Thanks a lot! I have made a SquashFS file, that was easy! I've also loaded it to BerryBoot and it boots. I get some errors while booting and the system is started as read only. I think I have to remove some entries from fstab and some more things!
Root filesystem is mounted read-write and is ready to use when Berryboot hands it over to your distro.
Empty fstab should do.

antonholmstedt

Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:01 pm

Max wrote:
truehl wrote: Thanks a lot! I have made a SquashFS file, that was easy! I've also loaded it to BerryBoot and it boots. I get some errors while booting and the system is started as read only. I think I have to remove some entries from fstab and some more things!
Root filesystem is mounted read-write and is ready to use when Berryboot hands it over to your distro.
Empty fstab should do.
I really hope that truehl will sort it out cause my attempts have failed :)

antonholmstedt

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:02 pm

How is it going with the new kernel? I'm looking forward to it so much! :)

DKeel

Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:44 pm

Fingers crossed that somebody can help me out here - before I go mad!?

Love Berryboot - wonderful! First noticed it last week, downloaded to my Mac, formatted a spare SDHC card (happened to be a Sandisk Ultra 15mb/s) placed it into my RasPi, booted up and it worked perfectly - great utility!

Told my friend about this and offered to make up a Berryboot SD Card for them. I have a couple of spare SD cards (an SD and a SD HC - both of which have had Debian etc on them in the past) and so formatted them as FAT32, placed the Berryboot files on them and tried to boot up - nothing … the HDMI monitor simply goes to sleep - no signal. I have tried formatting each of the cards in the Mac SD slot, tried formatting them in a card reader, tried formatting them using Windows in a VM - but none of them will boot up. Flashing lights on the RasPi - but nothing on the monitor.

I thought that it may be that the cards were too slow - and so have purchased another SDHD Ultra card (30MB/s) and tried this - the same problem - nothing on the screen. But if I simply remove the card and replace it with the original one that I made - it works perfectly!? Any ideas - anyone. Thats 3 different cards, tried 2 different RasPi's, 2 different FAT32 formatting methods and two different OS's for formatting. Only the first card that I made boots up?!

Help!?… Anyone?!

DKeel

Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:26 pm

Relax all! - worked out a fix. After updating the RasPi firmware (no joy there) and then Googling re HDMI issues and the RasPi I was able to get all the SD cards to boot and display over HDMI by changing the Berryboot config.txt file from:

disable_overscan=1
kernel=kernel_berryboot.img

to

disable_overscan=1
config_hdmi_boost=4
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
kernel=kernel_berryboot.img

Basically (I think?!) bully boy tactics - boost and force HDMI!
Works for me on all SD cards and both RasPi's. Thanks anyway - hope this helps somebody else who becomes as frustrated as I was. So - still love Berryboot ... anyone going to explain how to update OpenElec installed by Berryboot??!!

antonholmstedt

Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:03 am

DKeel wrote: ... anyone going to explain how to update OpenElec installed by Berryboot??!!
As far as I understand it's not possible at the moment, but will be possible when we get a new kernel update to Berryboot :)

cazz

Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:47 am

just two question

1)
Is it any FAQ about this, I did read until page 4 of this topic but it is a little hard to understand the information :)
It is a alot of information to understand what it can do and can't.

2)
Can I make it so it works like Debian Net install, I mean that I can pick what I want to install?
Like X, SSH, Webserver, SQL server and so on?
I don't use X on my Raspberry Pi, I just don't need to do that :)
/Cazz

Max

Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:41 pm

cazz wrote: Can I make it so it works like Debian Net install, I mean that I can pick what I want to install?
Like X, SSH, Webserver, SQL server and so on?
I don't use X on my Raspberry Pi, I just don't need to do that :)
Do not support that.
Problem with the Debian netinstaller is that it takes 90+ minutes on a Pi, according to: http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianInstaller
Most are not that patient.

If you want to create a very minimal Linux distribution, use buildroot: http://www.buildroot.org/
In "make menuconfig" set the target architecture to "arm1176jzf-s", the root file system image format to SquashFS, and select the packages you want, "make", and import the resulting image into Berryboot.

antonholmstedt

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:23 pm

Does this verison of openelec have problems with airplay? With Raspbmc I've been able to stream from my pc using Airfoil, but Openelec just start loading and then goes back to the start screen. No sound then, even though Airfoil can see and connect to Openelec.

Max

Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:28 am

antonholmstedt wrote:Does this verison of openelec have problems with airplay?
Don't know, do not use airplay myself..

If you wish to try out a Berryboot beta with the new 3.6 kernel and newer OpenELEC version, you can grab it from here: http://get.berryboot.com/tmp/berryboot- ... 121212.zip
Does require that you start with a fresh SD card (no upgrade procedure yet)

z4ph0d

Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:38 am

Dear all.

I finally have my pie and wanted to use the simple berryboot installer.

However I seem to have a problem I cannot solve. Maybe its trivial..
I can install xbmc with berryboot quick and easy.

However when i install any other OS (im looking for debian) i get an error after downloading.
OS downloads fast and fine and when installation starts black screen tty error.
Have to reboot the system then. Not responding anymore.

Anybody nows this?? When i choose advanced in berryboot and want to enter the console i get same message and have to press alt+ctrl+F2 in order to access it. To me seems like there is so permission abundand for berryboot to install?

Would appreciate the help lads!

Rgds

Max

Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:28 pm

z4ph0d wrote:However when i install any other OS (im looking for debian) i get an error after downloading.
OS downloads fast and fine and when installation starts black screen tty error.
What is the exact error message?
Does the keyboard still function in the console, and if so, what are the last lines you get when you enter "dmesg"?

Also try installing and running the "memtester" profile.

antonholmstedt

Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:58 pm

Max wrote:
antonholmstedt wrote:Does this verison of openelec have problems with airplay?
Don't know, do not use airplay myself..

If you wish to try out a Berryboot beta with the new 3.6 kernel and newer OpenELEC version, you can grab it from here: http://get.berryboot.com/tmp/berryboot- ... 121212.zip
Does require that you start with a fresh SD card (no upgrade procedure yet)
What a great job, it works soo good! Airplay works, it feels quicker, and no bugs found so far :) Can recommend to everyone to try it! Have installed latest Openelec and Raspbian.

toysareforboys

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:31 pm

After trying berryboot on three different SD cards and two different Pi's and nothing working, I was thinking it was never going to work!

I was talking to the local Pi guru and he said to follow these steps to make berryboot boot:

1. Format the SD card fat32.
2. Make the SD card bootable (I know I know, Linux ignores the bootable flag... lol), so he had me download this utility for Windows: http://pel.hu/down/EOScard.exe and said to make sure your SD card is detected at the top, click the big ML camera picture, click save.
3. Copy the berryboot files onto the SD card, stick it in your Pi, give it a try.

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

WOOT! IT WORKS!

Soooooo fast at installing too :)

Thanks for the super awesome program! :D

-Jamie M.
Seagate GoFlex Home, 1.2GHz ARM (kirkwood), 128MB RAM, Gigabit Ethernet, SATA2. Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD running Arch ARM Linux 3.6.11-0. nginx + php-fpm = LIVE STATUS hosted right on the SGFH!! http://tafb.yi.org

Max

Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:18 am

toysareforboys wrote:After trying berryboot on three different SD cards and two different Pi's and nothing working, I was thinking it was never going to work!

I was talking to the local Pi guru and he said to follow these steps to make berryboot boot:

1. Format the SD card fat32.
2. Make the SD card bootable (I know I know, Linux ignores the bootable flag... lol), so he had me download this utility for Windows: http://pel.hu/down/EOScard.exe and said to make sure your SD card is detected at the top, click the big ML camera picture, click save.
3. Copy the berryboot files onto the SD card, stick it in your Pi, give it a try.
Good to hear it is working.
Step 2 really shouldn't be necessary though.

A thing that is often overlooked:

Step 4: make sure you use the "safely remove hardware" icon in Windows, before you physically remove the card, or Windows might not be finished writing to it.
This is especially important when working with larger files, that take longer to write from memory cache to storage.

toysareforboys

Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:31 am

Max wrote:Step 2 really shouldn't be necessary though.

A thing that is often overlooked: Step 4: make sure you use the "safely remove hardware" icon in Windows
I know step2 should be required, but I confirmed it on back to back cards, it makes berryboot boot! lol.

My computer doesn't show the eject icon for my flash drive, but I can open up Computer, right click on the drive and choose "eject" which seems to accomplish the same thing :)

-Jamie M.
Seagate GoFlex Home, 1.2GHz ARM (kirkwood), 128MB RAM, Gigabit Ethernet, SATA2. Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD running Arch ARM Linux 3.6.11-0. nginx + php-fpm = LIVE STATUS hosted right on the SGFH!! http://tafb.yi.org

toysareforboys

Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:21 am

Ok, so I ended up ditching berryboot and loading up the regular wheezy image. There was just too many strange things going on. lxde, when you click "logout" only had the logout and cancel buttons, what happened to reboot and shutdown? And raspi-config, had strange messages for the GPU-split, like my Pi only had 256mb ram? A few errors on boot, couldn't set up swap file, etc.

:(

-Jamie M.

Max

Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:35 am

toysareforboys wrote:lxde, when you click "logout" only had the logout and cancel buttons, what happened to reboot and shutdown?
You only have those when you configure Debian to start X directly, instead of going to console first and typing startx.
Can change it with the setting "boot_behavior" in raspi-config
This is not something that is related to Berryboot, it is the same when you use the Wheezy SD card image.
And raspi-config, had strange messages for the GPU-split, like my Pi only had 256mb ram?
The memory split must be configured through the Berryboot GUI, instead of through raspi-config.
This is because the memory split will be changed by Berryboot each time you boot a different OS. OpenELEC needs a different split than Debian.
couldn't set up swap file
If you want to have swap, you will need to setup a swap partition instead of file. As swap files indeed do not work on top of aufs.
I would recommend against having swap at all though, especially when you are using a SD card as storage.

toysareforboys

Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:19 pm

Thank you for the detailed replies.

-Jamie M.

Lobo Blanco

Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:08 pm

Hi,

Has anyone managed to install Xbian following the method described for Berryboot? I do not get it to work.

Thank you.

Sorry for my bad English.

Aza-Industries

Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:55 am

This is great.

Seeing if I can get my own OS to work but I have no idea if it will. I only started using linux a few days ago when I got my Rpi

Converting from regular to squash from a mounted USB to a mounted usb..
I've learnt a lot of basic linux stuff I didn't know just to get to this point, thanks to Berryboot! =D

Seems to be going good so far..

toysareforboys

Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:10 am

Aza-Industries wrote:Converting from regular to squash from a mounted USB to a mounted usb..
Nice!! I just moved my OS from my SD onto USB and I was so impressed with myself! At first I thought I was going to have to fire up berryboot and re-install using the USB option, but I got er done :)

My USB drive:

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

The old SD card vs. the new SSD:

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

Those tests are using iozone with the command line: iozone -e -a -s 1000M -r 4k -r 512k -r 16M -i 0 -i 1 -i 2 -Rb chart.wks

It takes about 40 mins to run that on the slower SD cards, and not much status is displayed. If your Pi only has 256 ram you can use the -s 500M (instead of 1000M) to speed it up a little.

Check out my live Pi status page!! Source code is at the bottom :) http://toysareforboys.no-ip.info:8000/

For you peeps using berryboot, for sure think about the USB option for your target OS partition!!!

-Jamie M.

Aza-Industries

Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:41 am

toysareforboys wrote:
Aza-Industries wrote:Converting from regular to squash from a mounted USB to a mounted usb..
My USB drive:

LICK FOR HIGH RES!
Awwwww you have the RPi case I want, but no matter what I do I can't justify spending that much on a case =(

Also turns out my method was unsuccessful (fun though). I think I either stuffed up the last step or Berrbyboot isn't compatible with Arch?

toysareforboys

Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:45 am

Aza-Industries wrote:Awwwww you have the RPi case I want, but no matter what I do I can't justify spending that much on a case =(

Also turns out my method was unsuccessful (fun though). I think I either stuffed up the last step or Berrbyboot isn't compatible with Arch?
Yeah, that case is sweet. It keeps my Pi soooo cool. Unlike all the other cases which just cause your Pi to cook :(

Did you check out this guide? http://www.networkinghowtos.com/howto/r ... ory-stick/

Good luck :)

-Jamie M.

Aza-Industries

Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:32 am

Hey if enyone knows what could be causing this on my Archlinux install let me know!
It's not a biggy, I've got tons of working images. I would just like to see if I can get Arch to work in berryboot.
So if anyone knows what's up just let me know =D

I did follow the instructions on how to make your own OS (several times).

P.S. Horrible camera picture coming up, too lazy to type it.
Image supplied by my oldschool Nokia e63. =D

Return to “General discussion”