Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:46 pm

Max wrote:
daviddomingos2001 wrote: says that there is a input/output error :?:
Sounds like a broken SD card.
ok thanks Max

antonholmstedt

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:35 am

When installing, does it load usb drivers? Cause I only have a bluetooth keyboard...

Max

Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:04 pm

antonholmstedt wrote:When installing, does it load usb drivers? Cause I only have a bluetooth keyboard...
There is no support for native bluetooth with pairing and such.
Will only work if your bluetooth dongle has a mode in which it emulates a regular USB keyboard.

antonholmstedt

Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:27 pm

Max wrote:
antonholmstedt wrote:When installing, does it load usb drivers? Cause I only have a bluetooth keyboard...
There is no support for native bluetooth with pairing and such.
Will only work if your bluetooth dongle has a mode in which it emulates a regular USB keyboard.

Okey, too bad cause now I'm stuck at the raspi-config page and can't get any further :) better get an usb-keyboard then since its not possible to send keyboard commands through ssh, right?

Edit: Got through with command 'startx', but not sure how to get to the other os :)

daviddomingos2001

Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:54 pm

daviddomingos2001 wrote:
Max wrote:
daviddomingos2001 wrote: says that there is a input/output error :?:
Sounds like a broken SD card.
ok thanks Max
I formated the SD card and extracted the install files and it worked this time, so if you have the same problem as me FORMAT

fundamental

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:28 pm

Congratulations on producing an excellent tool!

I have spent quite some time experiementing with various flavours of Linux together with the joys of GParted, etc on PCs and wondered how much work it would be to port Berryboot to x86 so that PC users could install and play with a variety of Linuxes just like Pi users can.
I'm sure you would get interest from the Debian crew and I would be surprised if the Centos mob wouldn't be interested also.

Max

Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:07 am

fundamental wrote:I have spent quite some time experiementing with various flavours of Linux together with the joys of GParted, etc on PCs and wondered how much work it would be to port Berryboot to x86 so that PC users could install and play with a variety of Linuxes just like Pi users can.
I'm sure you would get interest from the Debian crew and I would be surprised if the Centos mob wouldn't be interested also.
It is not that hard to port Berryboot to other platforms.

However a lot of x86 users not only have Linux on their disk, but also other operating systems like Windows.
Or they might have a need to preserve existing data on disk (something Berryboot does not do).
In which cases you still end up creating/resizing partitions with GParted or a similar tool.

Collie714

Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:18 pm

Any idea if it's possible to extend the berryboot OS selection time? I'd like to extend it from 3 seconds to 10 seconds. I'm running it on an old monitor that takes a bit to warm up.

Collie714

Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:49 pm

Collie714 wrote:Any idea if it's possible to extend the berryboot OS selection time? I'd like to extend it from 3 seconds to 10 seconds. I'm running it on an old monitor that takes a bit to warm up.
Actually forget that, I found the post that said it was hardcoded. If it does change though it would be a great little feature

albundy

Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:40 pm

Can I use Berryboot without using a monitor?
My Pi is running headless and before the OS is loaded only the serial console can be used.
It would be nice to be able to configure and operate Berryboot from the serial console if necessary.

immolo

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:07 pm

Is there anyway this could be setup to run on a NFS root or at least a way for the images to be loaded from the network?

Max

Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:58 pm

Collie714 wrote:Any idea if it's possible to extend the berryboot OS selection time? I'd like to extend it from 3 seconds to 10 seconds. I'm running it on an old monitor that takes a bit to warm up.
The number of seconds is indeed hard coded.
However you can add "nobootmenutimeout" to cmdline.txt to let it always wait for user input, instead of automatically booting.

albundy wrote: Can I use Berryboot without using a monitor?
My Pi is running headless and before the OS is loaded only the serial console can be used.
Serial console might be possible by appending an option like "console=ttyAMA0" to cmdline.txt, but have not tried that.

To do an initial OS installation headless over the network, you can append "vncinstall" to cmdline.txt, and connect with a VNC client. (VNC only covers the Berryboot installer GUI and not the text boot selection menu.)

immolo wrote:Is there anyway this could be setup to run on a NFS root
Only support iSCSI, not NFS.

or at least a way for the images to be loaded from the network?
Can setup a HTTP proxy server, if you are concerned about bandwidth.

Max

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Now that the Broadcom userspace libraries are open source, my previous objection against linking against them is no longer valid. So added HDMI CEC support.

Changelog Berryboot 2012-11-17

• Replaced the text boot menu with a basic GUI one. Now it is possible to select the operating system you wish to boot with your keyboard, mouse or with the arrows on your TV remote control (HDMI CEC).
  • Added support for password protecting the operating system installer, so that admins can prevent that end-users uninstall operating systems or mess with the other settings.
  • Proxy server settings now persist across reboots.

• You can now enter a custom boot menu timeout duration. Click the "advanced configuration" button, go to the "cmdline.txt" tab and
    add "bootmenutimeout=<number of seconds>" or use "nobootmenutimeout" to not boot the default OS automatically.
  • For headless installations you can now also use a VNC client to select the operating system you wish to boot. Add the option "vncinstall" to cmdline.txt to enable.
Existing users can download the upgrade by going to the "operating system installer" and clicking the "add OS" button.

Franzl

Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:30 am

Max wrote:[*] For headless installations you can now also use a VNC client to select the operating system you wish to boot. Add the option "vncinstall" to cmdline.txt to enable.[/list]
great!
is it possible to add an option for the network settings? dhcp drives me crazy :shock:

Max

Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:12 pm

Franzl wrote: is it possible to add an option for the network settings? dhcp drives me crazy :shock:
Might add a decent configuration dialog for static network configurations in a future version.

If you need the functionality right now, you can do some initramfs patching.
On the Pi, under Debian, create a cpio archive containing /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf files with the desired settings:

Code: Select all

cd /tmp
mkdir -p etc/network
cat >etc/network/interfaces <<EOF
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
  address 192.168.88.222
  netmask 255.255.255.0
  gateway 192.168.88.1
EOF
cat >etc/resolv.conf <<EOF
nameserver 192.168.88.1
EOF
find etc | cpio -H newc -o > networkpatch.cpio
Move the archive to the boot partition on the SD card, and add an option to config.txt to tell the bootloader to feed the file to the kernel:

Code: Select all

sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot
sudo cp networkpatch.cpio /boot
sudo sh -c "echo initramfs networkpatch.cpio 0x08000000 >> /boot/config.txt"
sudo umount /boot
The Berryboot system files are inside a so called initramfs cpio archive built-in to the kernel.
The kernel supports having more then one initramfs archive, and will combine them.
If the second initramfs archive contains a file with the same name, it will replace that file, as is done here.
Advantage of having a second initramfs, instead of modifying the original Berryboot initramfs contained inside the kernel, is that it survives updates.

Franzl

Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:47 pm

thx, that works great!

antonholmstedt

Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:56 am

I would like to add squeezeplug as a custom image, but is there any way to convert the image using Windows?

itimpi

Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:18 pm

I would like to see an image added to BerryBoot that contained what was needed to create new Berryboot images. I know it would be slow, but it would avoid the need to use another machine for the job.

antonholmstedt

Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:21 pm

Another question; I installed openelec but its an old version, how do I update it? Just as it says at openelec.tv or do I need to do something different, since the kernel files shouldnt be updated?

Max

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:13 pm

antonholmstedt wrote:I would like to add squeezeplug as a custom image, but is there any way to convert the image using Windows?
Not under Windows.
If you are VERY patient, you can do it on the Pi.

antonholmstedt wrote:I would like to see an image added to BerryBoot that contained what was needed to create new Berryboot images. I know it would be slow, but it would avoid the need to use another machine for the job.
Just type "sudo apt-get install squashfs-tools kpartx" under Raspbian, and follow the instructions on wiki.
Might need to append "-read-queue 16 -write-queue 16 -fragment-queue 16" to the list of mksquashfs parameters to minimize memory use.
Do note that the process can take all night on a slow device like the Pi because it uses a compression method that is slow to compress (but fast to decompress).

Max

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:25 pm

antonholmstedt wrote:Another question; I installed openelec but its an old version, how do I update it? Just as it says at openelec.tv or do I need to do something different, since the kernel files shouldnt be updated?
Need to wait for a new Berryboot version that has Linux 2.6.x
Do want to switch to that soon as it has some other nice new features as well (like cma that eliminates the need to mess with the boot partition and reboot for memory split changes), but waiting a couple days to see if any new bugs surface.

antonholmstedt

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:53 pm

Max wrote:
antonholmstedt wrote:Another question; I installed openelec but its an old version, how do I update it? Just as it says at openelec.tv or do I need to do something different, since the kernel files shouldnt be updated?
Need to wait for a new Berryboot version that has Linux 2.6.x
Do want to switch to that soon as it has some other nice new features as well (like cma that eliminates the need to mess with the boot partition and reboot for memory split changes), but waiting a couple days to see if any new bugs surface.
I really like your work, and so does my girlfriend but she doesnt know it, just like the fact that she can surf the web on the tv :)

So you are working on that allready, sounds great! If you want to I can bug test it for you, got a new setup so dont need to save any settings etc.

truehl

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi,
I saw someone here asking if it's possible to integrate SqueezePlug in Berryboot. I'm the owner of the SqueezePlug project. Sorry, I haven't read the complete thread, maybe the answers are already given. So allow me to ask two questions:
1. How can I make a berryboot image from SqueezePlug?
2. Is it possible that berryboot integrates SqueezePlug from scratch? I can provide a very performant download URL!

P.S.: berryboot is a great idea!!!
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

Max

Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:13 pm

truehl wrote: 1. How can I make a berryboot image from SqueezePlug?
Convert your current root filesystem to SquashFS format, and give it a name like SqueezePlug.img240

Adding your own custom operating systems to the menu

Note that Berryboot handles things like firmware and kernel updates, and mounting the root file system automatically.
Please make sure your distro does not touch the boot and root partitions partitions directly (might need to comment out the entries in /etc/fstab).
2. Is it possible that berryboot integrates SqueezePlug from scratch? I can provide a very performant download URL!
Sure.
Provided the image works ok, and you can provide me with the SquashFS image URL, sha1sum of the image and 128x128 logo or screenshot in jpeg or png format.

truehl

Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:24 pm

Max wrote:
truehl wrote: 1. How can I make a berryboot image from SqueezePlug?
Convert your current root filesystem to SquashFS format, and give it a name like SqueezePlug.img240

Adding your own custom operating systems to the menu

Note that Berryboot handles things like firmware and kernel updates, and mounting the root file system automatically.
Please make sure your distro does not touch the boot and root partitions partitions directly (might need to comment out the entries in /etc/fstab).
Sure.
Provided the image works ok, and you can provide me with the SquashFS image URL, sha1sum of the image and 128x128 logo or screenshot in jpeg or png format.
Hi Max,
Thanks a lot! I have made a SquashFS file, that was easy! I've also loaded it to BerryBoot and it boots. I get some errors while booting and the system is started as read only. I think I have to remove some entries from fstab and some more things!

I will check this later, first I have some other important tasks with SqueezePlug. I'll come back to your offer later for sure, thanks a lot again!

P.S.: Can you give me I little support if I get lost?
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

Return to “General discussion”