big250

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:35 pm

its fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bjones7

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:16 pm

Max,

Why is there no ssh domain with berryboot? Also I can use the cmdline.txt to use a vnc viewer via external os with berryboot, which is nice, but is this module not included in other O/S that work on the Raspberry PI? Example, I'm connected via vnc viewer to berryboot until I select and boot XBian.

joesnose

Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:18 pm

Hello thanks for berryboot it is great.

I have a question.

Is it possible to have berryboot ask whether to boot from sdcard or usb. I ask because I have used berryboot to inststall openelec on an unused 256mb sdcard and then use this to play mdia files from usb. I would like to use the same card to boot other OS's from usb.

Is this possible?

Max

Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:41 pm

joesnose wrote: Is it possible to have berryboot ask whether to boot from sdcard or usb.
I ask because I have used berryboot to inststall openelec on an unused 256mb sdcard and then use this to play mdia files from usb. I would like to use the same card to boot other OS's from usb.

Is this possible?
If you want to use USB storage, you will need to reinstall Berryboot, and select during installation that you want to store all data on the USB stick.
In that case only the Berryboot system files will be installed on the SD card, and everything else will be on the USB stick.

Having some operating systems on SD, and some on USB is not supported.

Max

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:10 pm

bjones7 wrote: Why is there no ssh domain with berryboot?
Because the majority of users does not need a SSH daemon for their boot menu, and it is somewhat complicated.
Would require a method to share SSH host keys between operating systems and Berryboot, otherwise you are going to get a fingerprint mismatch error when connecting.

joesnose

Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:50 pm

If you want to use USB storage, you will need to reinstall Berryboot, and select during installation that you want to store all data on the USB stick.
In that case only the Berryboot system files will be installed on the SD card, and everything else will be on the USB stick.

Having some operating systems on SD, and some on USB is not supported.

would be a nice addition.

joesnose

Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:58 pm

I just found out that it does actually boot from the sdcard after looking for the usb stick, it boots around three times but then loads whatever you have installed to the sd.

nice work, thanks alot. this is a fantastic app.

Max

Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:43 pm

joesnose wrote:I just found out that it does actually boot from the sdcard after looking for the usb stick, it boots around three times but then loads whatever you have installed to the sd.
Ah, you are right. Didn't thought about that feature for this purpose.

If it doesn't find the data at the location specified (datadev=sda in cmdline.txt), it will indeed search all other drives for a partition labeled "berryboot".
Its original purpose is for situations when the drive letter changes. E.g. if you had one USB drive connected during installation it will be /dev/sda. But if you add a second USB drive later, your first USB drive may still be /dev/sda and the second /dev/sdb, but it could also be that the first drive will be named /dev/sdb instead, as the order is not guaranteed.

malakai

Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:57 pm

Trying to search but found nothing I run wheezy and when I did the raspi-config to change memory to 128 the Pi rebooted now only 5 flashes of green light and nothing any ideas I believe I just need to replace a file but not sure which one?
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

Max

Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:29 pm

malakai wrote:Trying to search but found nothing I run wheezy and when I did the raspi-config to change memory to 128 the Pi rebooted now only 5 flashes of green light and nothing any ideas I believe I just need to replace a file but not sure which one?
Try copying all .elf files from the Berryboot .zip to the SD card again.
And use the "operating system installer" to change the memory split in the future.

jwingfield

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:20 pm

Hi - I'm also new to this and had a similar problem with the 5 flashes. Can't remember where I found it but 5 flashes basically means that the Pi can't find a suitable boot image. There needs to be a file on the memory card called start.elf. If you put the memory card back in your PC you should see 3 files that start with something like start_.xxx.elf. These correspond to the different memory splits that you can have between system/graphics. At the moment I'm using the 240 one. Anyway, make a copy of the start_240.elf file and rename it to start.elf. When you've done that put it back in the Pi and restart it and hopefully all will be ok. It's happened to me a few times now, so not sure if the wheezy image is a little over zealous when cleaning up after itself.

Anyway hope that helps.

Jonathan

kavi96

Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:56 am

Is there any way to use the new turbo mode with this? As far as I know using that is the only way to overvolt without losing warranty.

Max

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:18 pm

kavi96 wrote:Is there any way to use the new turbo mode with this? As far as I know using that is the only way to overvolt without losing warranty.
Can edit config.txt manually if you know what you are doing.
Wouldn't recommend overclocking if that's not the case. It's too easy to render your system unbootable by choosing too high settings.

benz

Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:37 am

I have a 0 size /var/swap and nothing in /proc/swaps although /etc/dphys-swapfile specifies 100 MBytes.
sudo mkswap /var/swap gives input/output errors.

Does swapping to a file under / in aufs type fielsystem work? http://www.digipedia.pl/man/doc/view/mount.aufs.8/ states tha tis not supported.

Is there a way to put the swapfile outside the aufs root (without using a swapdevice)?

Ciderboy

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:08 am

Having just (finally) received my shiny new 512MB Pi and being a complete Linux noob could someone tell me what I would need to do in order to use the full memory when using Berryboot (assuming that this is possible)?

Max

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:09 pm

benz wrote:Is there a way to put the swapfile outside the aufs root (without using a swapdevice)?
Nope
Need a seperate swap device or file system outside of AUFS if you want that.

I wouldn't recommend swapping on a SD card anyway.

Max

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:20 pm

Ciderboy wrote:Having just (finally) received my shiny new 512MB Pi and being a complete Linux noob could someone tell me what I would need to do in order to use the full memory when using Berryboot (assuming that this is possible)?
Currently not supported.

benz

Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:27 pm

Max wrote:
benz wrote:Is there a way to put the swapfile outside the aufs root (without using a swapdevice)?
Nope
Need a seperate swap device or file system outside of AUFS if you want that.

I wouldn't recommend swapping on a SD card anyway.
So bottom line, if I understand you correctly, is that, given that aufs unifies all filesystems under Berryboot, swapping is not possible using Berryboot, be it by device or by file?
Or could I still create a separate ext4 filesystem/partition on a USB drive
and mount it on some aufs mountpoint and then create the swapfile on the separate partition.
(I'm using USB disk for / btw, not SD, and would want to swap to USB disk).

(T'is wat Floris, al dat engels ;-))

Max

Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:41 pm

benz wrote: Or could I still create a separate ext4 filesystem/partition on a USB drive
and mount it on some aufs mountpoint and then create the swapfile on the separate partition.
That is possible. You can mount another file system on top without issues and without being restricted by aufs.

Easier and more efficient to just create a separate dedicated swap partition though, than it is to create a separate ext4 partition, just for the swap file.
However you mentioned earlier that you do not want to use a swap device. Why?

benz

Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:34 pm

Max wrote:
benz wrote: Or could I still create a separate ext4 filesystem/partition on a USB drive
That is possible. You can mount another file system on top without issues and without being restricted by aufs.

Easier and more efficient to just create a separate dedicated swap partition though, than it is to create a separate ext4 partition, just for the swap file.
However you mentioned earlier that you do not want to use a swap device. Why?
Earlier/initially I expected to use the default provided by Debian_Wheezy_Raspbian_2012.09
of using /etc/init.d/dphys-swapfile. Which installs a swapfile in /var/swap. However as aufs does not support a swapfile, Debian_Wheezy_Raspbian_2012.09 under Berryboot cannot have a swapfile in /var/swap. So the next best thing is to have a separate ext4 partition and configure /etc/dphys-swapfile to setup a swapfile on the separate ext4. Of course I could have a dedicated swapdevice/partition but then I would have to de-install dphys-swapfile and configure /etc/fstab to mount it, which seems more work, and leads further away from the default configuration of Debian_Wheezy_Raspbian_2012.09.

Come to think of it, how do the other distros under Berryboot solve this?

(Of course limiting the load on the RPi, so as to not having to use swap at all, would be best. But sometimes you cannot do without).

Max

Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:54 pm

benz wrote:Of course I could have a dedicated swapdevice/partition but then I would have to de-install dphys-swapfile and configure /etc/fstab to mount it, which seems more work, and leads further away from the default configuration of Debian_Wheezy_Raspbian_2012.09.
Only need to add the swap partition to /etc/fstab
Can just let the dphys init script fail silently.

Earlier rPi Debian versions did use a swap partition.
Assume the reason they got rid of that is to make resizing the main partition to fit the SD card easier.
That is not an argument not to have one, when you are setting up things manually.
Come to think of it, how do the other distros under Berryboot solve this?
None use swap by default.

Ph1lj2

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:26 pm

Is it possible to run the Bootwebserver using a static Ip configuration ?

If so how can I set this up ?

hope some kind sole can help

cheers

Max

Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:40 am

Ph1lj2 wrote:Is it possible to run the Bootwebserver using a static Ip
vi /etc/network/interfaces
Syntax is the same as with Debian/Ubuntu

loganinak

Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:28 am

Does this support using the full 512 mb of ram on the new raspberry pi?

PappyGoodwill

Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:41 am

This has to be the easiest way to do it. Ilove it. I am one happy Pappy!
(:{)

Return to “General discussion”