troombatzia

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:54 pm

Max wrote:
troombatzia wrote: A question. I would like to know if shared.tgz has some kind of sign and if its integrity is checked when berryboot boots. I would like to add some bash script in sbin. Is bash supported by berryboot? Thanks.
shared.tgz is only used during installation (and when there is no local data partition available, like when you are using iSCSI).
Put files you want to have available under all operating systems in /shared on the data partition instead.
Ok. I explain my last question. I'm going to use BerryBoot with no DHCP, nor WiFI. I have to setup a fixed IP before starting installation (I read an howto on this thread). Just wondering if I could save a little script to do the job. Not a big issue. I know that I can install from a usb stick too, so that's not a problem. Just to know. Thanks for attention.
English isn’t my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.

Max

Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:04 pm

troombatzia wrote: Ok. I explain my last question. I'm going to use BerryBoot with no DHCP, nor WiFI. I have to setup a fixed IP before starting installation (I read an howto on this thread). Just wondering if I could save a little script to do the job. Not a big issue. I know that I can install from a usb stick too, so that's not a problem. Just to know. Thanks for attention.
Can put your yourscript.sh on the SD card
And call it from the rescue shell like:

Code: Select all

mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot
sh /boot/yourscript.sh
Alternatively extract the initramfs from kernel_berryboot.img with a tool like: https://github.com/mistadman/Extract-Ke ... -initramfs
Add your script to the initramfs and glue it back to the kernel.

troombatzia

Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:10 pm

Max wrote:
troombatzia wrote: Ok. I explain my last question. I'm going to use BerryBoot with no DHCP, nor WiFI. I have to setup a fixed IP before starting installation (I read an howto on this thread). Just wondering if I could save a little script to do the job. Not a big issue. I know that I can install from a usb stick too, so that's not a problem. Just to know. Thanks for attention.
Can put your yourscript.sh on the SD card
And call it from the rescue shell like:

Code: Select all

mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot
sh /boot/yourscript.sh
Alternatively extract the initramfs from kernel_berryboot.img with a tool like: https://github.com/mistadman/Extract-Ke ... -initramfs
Add your script to the initramfs and glue it back to the kernel.
Thanks a lot! First solution is more than enough for my needs. So sh is supported. Good to know!
English isn’t my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.

itimpi

Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:05 am

[quote="Max"}
Can append " nobootmenutimeout" to cmdline.txt to always prompt for a selection.
(note that all cmdline.txt settings must be on a single line, separated by spaces. Unlike settings in config.txt that can have seperate lines)
I have tried this and it works for disabling the timeout. Can I suggest that when using this option the OS set as the default should be preset as the highlighted one so that you can then just press Enter to load the default OS? Alternatively put the default OS as the first in the list rathe than in strict alphabetical order which would achieve the same effect.

inder

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:31 pm

@ Max, thanks for this great tool. Worked fine and the system detected my wifi adapter (realtek 8188 cus) and downloaded the OSs etc. Is there a way to have all the OSs get the wifi driver (not necessarily the password or even ssid) from Berryboot? Even a procedure to do one OS at a time might help.

Max

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:41 pm

itimpi wrote:Can I suggest that when using this option the OS set as the default should be preset as the highlighted one so that you can then just press Enter to load the default OS?
Maybe later.
Not sure if the library used to display the menu supports that.

Is there a way to have all the OSs get the wifi driver (not necessarily the password or even ssid) from Berryboot?
All OSes already share the same modules with Berryboot.
So as long as you do the configuration part it should work.

Aydan

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:33 pm

Hi,

concerning having to use the same kernel for all OSes, it seems you can use kexec on the Raspberry: http://www.bootc.net/archives/2012/05/2 ... pi-kernel/
Would it be possible to use this for Berryboot to not only select OSes but select different kernels for OSes as well?

Regards
Aydan

Max

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:44 pm

Aydan wrote: concerning having to use the same kernel for all OSes, it seems you can use kexec on the Raspberry: http://www.bootc.net/archives/2012/05/2 ... pi-kernel/
Would it be possible to use this for Berryboot to not only select OSes but select different kernels for OSes as well?
Berryboot relies on the principle that all distributions share a single partition using aufs+squashfs which depends on running under the patched kernel we are using now.

It does not have any support for creating, deleting and resizing additional partitions, which would be necessary if you want to boot an unpatched kernel or a non-Linux operating system.

Aydan

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:53 pm

Max wrote:
Aydan wrote: concerning having to use the same kernel for all OSes, it seems you can use kexec on the Raspberry: http://www.bootc.net/archives/2012/05/2 ... pi-kernel/
Berryboot relies on the principle that all distributions share a single partition using aufs+squashfs which depends on running under the patched kernel we are using now.

It does not have any support for creating, deleting and resizing additional partitions, which would be necessary if you want to boot an unpatched kernel or a non-Linux operating system.
That brings me back to my earlier question:
Is it possible use a "normal" root partition e.g. from a USB HDD with Berryboot.
Maybe Berryboot is the wrong tool for this but I think this should be possible to do anyway.

Max

Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:15 pm

Aydan wrote: Is it possible use a "normal" root partition e.g. from a USB HDD with Berryboot.
No.
While it is possible to use a USB HDD with Berryboot, it will not have a normal root partition.

At least not until BTRFS gets more stable.
BTRFS supports subvolumes and could be used as an alternative to the current approach to have multiple operating systems sharing a partition.
Advantage would be that BTRFS is part of the main kernel, wouldn't require patches, and can easily be mounted from other Linux systems.

Maybe Berryboot is the wrong tool for this but I think this should be possible to do anyway.
Correct, it is not the right tool.
Berryboot's goal is making it easy for an average user to run multiple operating systems on the same storage. And to encourage users to try out other distributions, instead of just Debian.

It is not meant as a bootloader like grub/uboot.

raspito

no keyboard

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:59 am

I use the raspi without keyboard. As a media player I control it with the tv remote or the xbmc android app, and as a server I access to it remotely from a laptop through ssh. I have it close to the TV and I don't have much space. The thing is that I would prefer to use the mouse to select the OS that will boot, would it be possible?

Thanks.

Max

Re: no keyboard

Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:17 pm

Do not plan to add mouse support to the textual menu.

In case anyone else wants to have a go at that.
Uploaded the Berryboot code to Github: https://github.com/maxnet/berryboot

Homwer

Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:30 am

Hi,
when i boot, i have a blue screen and a windows telling me

Waiting for storage

but nothing happens.
What can i do?

Max

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:07 pm

Homwer wrote:Hi,
when i boot, i have a blue screen and a windows telling me

Waiting for storage

but nothing happens.
What can i do?
It should give up after 10 seconds.
If not your Pi may be hanging. Does it still respond at all? E.g. does pressing the numlock key light up the light?

Did it work before?
Do you have any USB devices connected other than keyboard and mouse?

Homwer

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:11 pm

Yes it worked perfectly well before.
Could it be the SD card? It runs great under linux, testing it with windows right now - but same error on the pi every time.

The keyboard seams to work well, the num light turns on and off it i press num

Max

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:21 pm

Homwer wrote:Could it be the SD card?
That's quite possible.
It runs great under linux
Double check that cmdline.txt on the FAT partition says "datadev=mmcblk0p2"
And try performing (forcing) a file system check in Linux of the ext4 partition ("fsck.ext4 -f /dev/your-linux-mmc-device2")

Homwer

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:38 pm

hm... the cmdline.txt is empty - but it's also empty in your zip file.

Homwer

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:42 pm

I just tried with a brand new sd card - same problem.

Max

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:58 pm

Homwer wrote:hm... the cmdline.txt is empty - but it's also empty in your zip file.
An empty parameter means it will start the installer to perform a new installation.

After installation it should be filled in with "datadev=mmcblk0p2" if you chose to put the operating system files on SD card, or something like "datadev=sda1" when they are stored on USB stick/drive.

I just tried with a brand new sd card - same problem.
Does it work properely when you put something other then Berryboot on it?
SD card holder could be broken.

Homwer

Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:24 pm

Afer i don't know how long, there came this screen with errors

The Pi works fine with a nother card, also my sd writer/reader it seams to be a problem with this specific type of sd cards - even if it worked with the same brand earlier

Max

Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:29 pm

Homwer wrote: The Pi works fine with a nother card, also my sd writer/reader it seams to be a problem with this specific type of sd cards - even if it worked with the same brand earlier
Did you update Berryboot shortly before the issues?
Perhaps the new kernel has compatibility issues with your SD brand.

mrdeli

Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi, i am sorry if my question is already answered.

How can i upgrade openelec? I am using Berryboot and tried to put the KERNEL and SYTEM file into the .update folder, but nothing happened.
Is there a way to update it?
And another,
how can i upgrade berryboot itself?

Thanks for your help.
Deli

Max

Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:42 pm

mrdeli wrote: How can i upgrade openelec? I am using Berryboot and tried to put the KERNEL and SYTEM file into the .update folder, but nothing happened.
Is there a way to update it?
There is no easy "update" button for OpenELEC.

But if you like to do things manually:
On the second partition of the SD card you have a file with a name like /images/OpenELEC_r12345.img128 which is SYSTEM
Just copy your newer SYSTEM over that.

Do not replace the kernel.

how can i upgrade berryboot itself?
Simply press the "add OS" button in the GUI.
If will fetch a list of available operating systems from the Internet, and checks if there is a new version of Berryboot available at the same time.
If there is, you will get a popup asking if you want to upgrade.

mrdeli

Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:54 pm

Ok, that sounds easy :) .
Thanks for your help and 2 times thanks for your development on Berryboot.

migube

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:45 pm

[quote="Max"]
There is no easy "update" button for OpenELEC.

But if you like to do things manually:
On the second partition of the SD card you have a file with a name like /images/OpenELEC_r12345.img128 which is SYSTEM
Just copy your newer SYSTEM over that.

[quote]

Hi Max,

I'm now booted on Raspbian image and wanna upgrade the OpenElec image by copying it over the old one.
but I can't find the /images folder, I searched for *.img128 & others, but can't determine where they 're ;-p
tx

Return to “General discussion”