No
35%
Doesn't matter
15%

Total votes: 62
trip3980

raspberrypi zero + wifi and Bluetooth

Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:50 am

I am an owner of a raspberry pi a+ and I loved it from day one but the one thing that bothers me every time is the fact that it does not have built in wifi and bluetooth. The value here is it saves allot more space and I can attach many devices wireless saving me a lot of space in the end being able to hook it up to many outlets. I think the raspberry pi zero is on the right track tho. I can now see the raspberry pi zero as say corporate gifts or trade show hand outs like how USB sticks are given away with information on them. the creativity on how to distribute a cheep device like this is endless. I also feel that while I do love the arm processes The major problem is my ability to add other operating systems such as "Damn Small Linux" or mint. I get the boundaries here but I think this is kinda an issue for some developers and creative minds. I am sure I would love to see a little more power but I won't go their because I think at that point I am just being shamelessly greedy. But with everything else aside I would like to see wifi and bluetooth added. But Knowing this new pi zero you guys may be producing this thing out the eyeballs cause the demand will be so high.

DougieLawson

Re: raspberrypi zero + wifi and Bluetooth

Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:46 am

What's the problem with running a USB hub?
Why do you assume everyone needs both WiFi and Bluetooth? It runs OK with just a serial console.
How much more do you want to pay for your $20 A+ with your extra useless (to me) hardware on the board?
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:48 am

trip3980 wrote:I am an owner of a raspberry pi a+ and I loved it from day one but the one thing that bothers me every time is the fact that it does not have built in wifi and bluetooth. The value here is it saves allot more space and I can attach many devices wireless saving me a lot of space in the end being able to hook it up to many outlets. I think the raspberry pi zero is on the right track tho. I can now see the raspberry pi zero as say corporate gifts or trade show hand outs like how USB sticks are given away with information on them. the creativity on how to distribute a cheep device like this is endless. I also feel that while I do love the arm processes The major problem is my ability to add other operating systems such as "Damn Small Linux" or mint. I get the boundaries here but I think this is kinda an issue for some developers and creative minds. I am sure I would love to see a little more power but I won't go their because I think at that point I am just being shamelessly greedy. But with everything else aside I would like to see wifi and bluetooth added. But Knowing this new pi zero you guys may be producing this thing out the eyeballs cause the demand will be so high.
Absolutely pathetic post, just buy a CHIP

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... 9-computer

Anything welcome to the forum, do you have a problem with your RPi0, or do you not have one yet ?
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

ame

Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:03 am

trip3980 wrote:I am an owner of a raspberry pi a+ and I loved it from day one but the one thing that bothers me every time is the fact that it does not have built in wifi and bluetooth. The value here is it saves allot more space and I can attach many devices wireless saving me a lot of space in the end being able to hook it up to many outlets. I think the raspberry pi zero is on the right track tho. I can now see the raspberry pi zero as say corporate gifts or trade show hand outs like how USB sticks are given away with information on them. the creativity on how to distribute a cheep device like this is endless. I also feel that while I do love the arm processes The major problem is my ability to add other operating systems such as "Damn Small Linux" or mint. I get the boundaries here but I think this is kinda an issue for some developers and creative minds. I am sure I would love to see a little more power but I won't go their because I think at that point I am just being shamelessly greedy. But with everything else aside I would like to see wifi and bluetooth added. But Knowing this new pi zero you guys may be producing this thing out the eyeballs cause the demand will be so high.
Cool story, bro'. So glad you made an account today to share it with us.

mikerr

Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:14 am

Radio based tech like WiFi and BT add a whole lot of certification and testing problems, as well as cost. ($5 !)

Just use a usb dongle - or wait for a gpio/spi add on,
Given the huge popularly of the pi zero I doubt it will be long.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

trip3980

Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:19 am

For those not understanding what I wrote I think you should re read what I said. The whole point to wifi and bluetooth is to reduce the amount of connections to the pi. that means it can be used for many many applications. While the price point of the zero is great I feel that there are many who could use the functionality of it being a truly portable price valued device. No one is saying you don't have to buy something with wifi or bluetooth but their is a reason why mobile sales are out the roof. think about it for a second something you can put in your pocket or wrist with your complete control. No cables, or anything to tie the vice up. hell it can be part of a flashlight or exploration gadget with your imagination. My whole point here is to build wifi and bluetooth in to the board to decrease the size instead of adding on it with third party attachments. The Only reason why raspberrypi.org is out selling their product is not just because of its price point but its mobility and convenience factor. Price does help but honestly people would still pay $15 dollers and they have for a pi in the past hence why they are bringing out more products like the zero. My point is just because you like this product doesn't mean that others won't enjoy these changes. I think I speak for many when I say wifi and bluetooth is the future and the market data will prove and back my point. the servay was just to see what you guys think. so rather then saying this post is pointless why not vote NO. Be stuck with the IBM and Microsoft mindset while others take the apple road. if raspberry pi won't do it then someone else will. this I promise.

BMS Doug

Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:20 am

trip3980 wrote:For those not understanding what I wrote I think you should re read what I said. The whole point to wifi and bluetooth is to reduce the amount of connections to the pi. that means it can be used for many many applications. While the price point of the zero is great I feel that there are many who could use the functionality of it being a truly portable price valued device. No one is saying you don't have to buy something with wifi or bluetooth but their is a reason why mobile sales are out the roof. think about it for a second something you can put in your pocket or wrist with your complete control. No cables, or anything to tie the vice up. hell it can be part of a flashlight or exploration gadget with your imagination. My whole point here is to build wifi and bluetooth in to the board to decrease the size instead of adding on it with third party attachments. The Only reason why raspberrypi.org is out selling their product is not just because of its price point but its mobility and convenience factor. Price does help but honestly people would still pay $15 dollers and they have for a pi in the past hence why they are bringing out more products like the zero. My point is just because you like this product doesn't mean that others won't enjoy these changes. I think I speak for many when I say wifi and bluetooth is the future and the market data will prove and back my point. the servay was just to see what you guys think. so rather then saying this post is pointless why not vote NO. Be stuck with the IBM and Microsoft mindset while others take the apple road. if raspberry pi won't do it then someone else will. this I promise.

cool story bro
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

bugsy_malone 666

Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:50 am

wifi+bluetooth = more power consumption and cost, whats good about having something so cheap if it could be better on power/cheaper and I have to have it built in.

wifi and bluetooth modules are really cheap to add, its always easier to add than take away. You can get such tiny modules too, strip them down and make them fit with the pi

having neither makes it perfect as a stand alone datalogger where this is not available, but its easy to add small serial radio transmitters. bluetooth and wifi only work if your trying to tap in that way or in an area where its there.

Price is totally the point.

Heater

Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:53 am

I want to use a little board like the Zero with LoRa. WiFi and Bluetooth have such a pathetically short range and suck battery power.

Wait, the Zero has none of that junk, perfect it's just what I'm looking for :)
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

fruitoftheloom

Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:00 am

trip3980 wrote:For those not understanding what I wrote I think you should re read what I said. The whole point to wifi and bluetooth is to reduce the amount of connections to the pi. that means it can be used for many many applications. While the price point of the zero is great I feel that there are many who could use the functionality of it being a truly portable price valued device. No one is saying you don't have to buy something with wifi or bluetooth but their is a reason why mobile sales are out the roof. think about it for a second something you can put in your pocket or wrist with your complete control. No cables, or anything to tie the vice up. hell it can be part of a flashlight or exploration gadget with your imagination. My whole point here is to build wifi and bluetooth in to the board to decrease the size instead of adding on it with third party attachments. The Only reason why raspberrypi.org is out selling their product is not just because of its price point but its mobility and convenience factor. Price does help but honestly people would still pay $15 dollers and they have for a pi in the past hence why they are bringing out more products like the zero. My point is just because you like this product doesn't mean that others won't enjoy these changes. I think I speak for many when I say wifi and bluetooth is the future and the market data will prove and back my point. the servay was just to see what you guys think. so rather then saying this post is pointless why not vote NO. Be stuck with the IBM and Microsoft mindset while others take the apple road. if raspberry pi won't do it then someone else will. this I promise.
You have absolutely ZERO idea how a SBC is created, the complexities of designing, manufacturing and finally getting the price point right, jeez............ :roll:

As these "I want or need" posts keep popping up can someone explain to me how BT, WiFi, Ethernet, USB, OTG all be hung of the SoC's SINGLE USB BUS :?:
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..

mikerr

Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:15 am

trip3980 wrote: pi. My whole point here is to build wifi and bluetooth in to the board to decrease the size instead of adding on it with third party attachments.
Yes, there is room for a Pi with everything onboard, but that fits the model B size and pricepoint more than the Zero ("reduction to zero"...)
trip3980 wrote: stuck with the IBM and Microsoft mindset while others take the apple road.
Fanboyism aside, apple and microsoft are very alike. They seek to hide complexity and turn tech into a black box which people use without understanding.

Raspberrypi is in many ways quite deliberately the opposite of that.
Rpi is all about understanding the tech, and learning it (and also about absolute minimal cost)
- that's why it may seem a little raw/unpolished to someone first coming across it.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

DougieLawson

Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:22 am

mikerr wrote: Raspberrypi is in many ways quite deliberately the opposite of that.
Rpi is all about understanding the tech, and learning it (and also about absolute minimal cost)
- that's why it may seem a little raw/unpolished to someone first coming across it.
And that is exactly why we don't need all those strange networking and radio devices pre-installed and pre-configured on our RPis.

Part of the teaching and learning experience is "How do I add this <insert strange device here> to my RPi?" "What does the I²C bus do for me?" "Why should I use SPI rather than I²C or USB?" "Is it best to use <device #1> or <device #2> for my project?" "How do I switch this <alien device> on and off from a web server running on my RPi?". All that exciting stuff that's covered in the 17800 posts I've made on here.

If that stuff is done for us we don't learn anything. Even as an expert it's brilliant to learn something new every day.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

trip3980

Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:50 pm

So from the responses all I heard was people saying its impossible from a pricing and manufacturing standpoint and it won't happen because it will turn the device into a NSA tinfoil hat. While I understand about security and beleave me I KNOW about security I can tell you that rejecting the idea because people think its impossible are the ones who have the inability to think creatively and outside the box. I still think its silly to reject the idea because the cost may be a little more expensive. I know this because its like telling the consumer no they don't need it because we know whats best for them. Its old thinking and this is the kind of thinking that causes society and innovation to be held back. Ironically I thought coming to this forum people would embrace new ideas but many are still stuck in the dark ages. People said its impossible to bring the price point of digital HD cameras down and sell them to the consumers but its always the brave companies or innovators that say we can succeed. People talk about the unicorns of society like they are some rare creature but the reality is they are not rare its the nay sayers that prevent progression in technology. I can understand if adding WIFI and bluetooth may be expensive or someone hasn't figured out a way to incorporate the technology in the board yet because we are not their yet but to down right reject the idea because its "Stupid" only kills innovation. As for security, their are a lot of SMART individuals out their who can fix the connection problems that's the value of the PI people can make their own programs their own protocols they have the CHOICE to except the product or not. But I have not heard one sound argument as to why we should not put this in to a board not just the zero but some other device that's like the zero. When I came here I felt like I was talking to a community of ridit junkies who only have a one sided opinion about how things ought to be like somehow it will effect their way of life or thinking if change where to happen. As for those talking about fanboy mentality you completely missed the ball on what I was saying and that is what point I am making you like it when the pi foundation comes out with something new but yet if someone else says the obvious you reject it because its not coming from the foundation. Rather then saying its impossible and not cheap to mass produce why not acknowledge the problem and work for a solution rather then being negative Nancy. We have a world of smart people I am sure their is a solution just waiting to be introduced. After all we finally have a laptop with desktop GPUs why can't we have a pi with a simple wifi and bluetooth connection. Its just irritating to hear the childish degrading comments coming from a community of people who I though was open minded enough about something as simple as bluetooth and wifi. its very sad.

trip3980

Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:58 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
mikerr wrote: Raspberrypi is in many ways quite deliberately the opposite of that.
And that is exactly why we don't need all those strange networking and radio devices pre-installed and pre-configured on our RPis.

Part of the teaching and learning experience is "How do I add this <insert strange device here> to my RPi?" "What does the I²C bus do for me?" "Why should I use SPI rather than I²C or USB?" "Is it best to use <device #1> or <device #2> for my project?" "How do I switch this <alien device> on and off from a web server running on my RPi?". All that exciting stuff that's covered in the 17800 posts I've made on here.

If that stuff is done for us we don't learn anything. Even as an expert it's brilliant to learn something new every day.
I totally understand what your saying here its taking away from the learning curve children and adults can grow from. However, I am not saying get rid of the zero and replace it with new wifi and bluetooth tech I am saying make a new device with a smaller form factor rather then adding board after board or usb after usb increasing the size of the device considerably. This will give community members the chance to innovate or create on a different level. I say this because I have projects that could use something with this forum factor and the only reason why I didn't use the past pi's is because it was two big with too many inputs to add just to do 2 more things. I know I am beating a dead horse here but I am staying strong because I like many others still need wifi and bluetooth capabilities with a small forum factor. Small robotics is one such aria.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:03 pm

Paragraph breaks. We love 'em.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

fruitoftheloom

Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:07 pm

trip3980 wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:

I totally understand what your saying here its taking away from the learning curve children and adults can grow from. However, I am not saying get rid of the zero and replace it with new wifi and bluetooth tech I am saying make a new device with a smaller form factor rather then adding board after board or usb after usb increasing the size of the device considerably. This will give community members the chance to innovate or create on a different level. I say this because I have projects that could use something with this forum factor and the only reason why I didn't use the past pi's is because it was two big with too many inputs to add just to do 2 more things. I know I am beating a dead horse here but I am staying strong because I like many others still need wifi and bluetooth capabilities with a small forum factor. Small robotics is one such aria.
Again can you explain to me how BT, WiFi, Ethernet, USB, OTG, SATA etc are all hung of the SoC's SINGLE USB BUS

Yes some can be on GPIO but that makes it a sole use SBC

If you really want this type of RPi and you are convinced there is a market then Element14 will design and develop 3,000+ for you to sell, so the horse will no longer be flogged......
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..

PiGraham

Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:13 pm

If you want smaller with WiFi and / or BT there are other options.

CHIP (WiFi & BLE)
Bluno beetle (Arduino with BLE)
Blueno (Arduino with BLE)
ESP8266 NodeMCU (Microcontroller with WiFi)
Banana Pi M2 (Pi clone with WiFi)
Onion Omega (MIPS with Linux & WiFi)
Particle (CortexM3 Arduino with WiFi)

No doubt there are many others

And yes, you can always design your own Pi with Farnell and maybe make money from it, if it's what everyone wants.

Pi is great, but it can't be all things to all people.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:17 pm

RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..

trip3980

Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:33 pm

liz wrote:Paragraph breaks. We love 'em.
Haha yes sorry. Its a product of the way I think. I'll work on braking my thoughts down in paragraph forum in the future :)

trip3980

Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:53 pm

[/quote]
Again can you explain to me how BT, WiFi, Ethernet, USB, OTG, SATA etc are all hung of the SoC's SINGLE USB BUS

If you really want this type of RPi and you are convinced there is a market then Element14 will design and develop 3,000+ for you to sell, so the horse will no longer be flogged......[/quote]

I'll give you an example I have xbmc with my pi now currently this is my setup attached to the pi. One bluetooth dongle one wifi dongle one keyboard one mouse one power input and one hdmi output. with wifi and bluetooth I can have one power input and thats it for XBMC. I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse which work well but if I can make a device that frees me from all that in an ultra forum factor I can build it in to cloths head ware and so on.

Its really about imagination. Hence why we have wifi Go Pros. Everything is getting smaller and more compact. I saw some video on youtube the other day where roaches where outfitted with these electrical devices and probed for control wirelessly. just thinking like that has enormous potential despite what PETA of the bug world says lol. I know building a solid wifi is harder because of reception issues I am sure with a little bit innovation this problem can be addressed. I can only imagine the possibilities.

We can put these things in very small drones and amp up the single to do robotic tasks. The reality is the more mods I have to make the bigger the device has to be in the end. And outfitting just wifi and bluetooth would take out 4 or five devices that may be unnecessarily redundant.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:13 pm

trip3980 wrote:

If you really want this type of RPi and you are convinced there is a market then Element14 will design and develop 3,000+ for you to sell, so the horse will no longer be flogged......
I'll give you an example I have xbmc with my pi now currently this is my setup attached to the pi. One bluetooth dongle one wifi dongle one keyboard one mouse one power input and one hdmi output. with wifi and bluetooth I can have one power input and thats it for XBMC. I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse which work well but if I can make a device that frees me from all that in an ultra forum factor I can build it in to cloths head ware and so on.

Its really about imagination. Hence why we have wifi Go Pros. Everything is getting smaller and more compact. I saw some video on youtube the other day where roaches where outfitted with these electrical devices and probed for control wirelessly. just thinking like that has enormous potential despite what PETA of the bug world says lol. I know building a solid wifi is harder because of reception issues I am sure with a little bit innovation this problem can be addressed. I can only imagine the possibilities.

We can put these things in very small drones and amp up the single to do robotic tasks. The reality is the more mods I have to make the bigger the device has to be in the end. And outfitting just wifi and bluetooth would take out 4 or five devices that may be unnecessarily redundant.
You have yet again singularly failed to answer the question, like all the wanters you are not interested in the practicalities....

How would you integrate your wants into a SBC using the current BCM2835 SoC, please provide links to suitable components, and provide a cost case that it would be comparable to similar devices.

I am absolutely certain that the RPF have looked at all the posts asking for "whatever" and no doubt have already decided what is and what is not doable...

...but he-ho carry on regardless !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..

trip3980

Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:44 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
trip3980 wrote:

You have yet again singularly failed to answer the question, like all the wanters you are not interested in the practicalities....

How would you integrate your wants into a SBC using the current BCM2835 SoC, please provide links to suitable components, and provide a cost case that it would be comparable to similar devices.

I am absolutely certain that the RPF have looked at all the posts asking for "whatever" and no doubt have already decided what is and what is not doable...

...but he-ho carry on regardless !
I am not an engineer. Just a creative mind that's willing to hack at something till it gets right. I know that adafruit is doing some indescribably things like their Bluefruit LE - Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE 4.0) - nRF8001 Breakout - v1.0 and Adafruit HUZZAH CC3000 WiFi Breakout with Onboard Antenna - v1.1. I can only imagine that as long as you stay away from the power and adding some kind of shield you can achieve good results. I don't know how this tech works but I am sure that the tech can be somehow integrated in the board and remove redundancies to save space. I think this is a job for Ben Hack lol. after all he did build a cell phone out of the PI! :P

davidcoton

Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:03 pm

trip3980 wrote:Its really about imagination.
Imagination is just the start. Often a good start, but seldom the end of the process.

There are other inputs too -- for the Zero, notably backwards compatibility and price point.

Then there is a LOT of design and development. Balancing the inputs, trying different compromises, working out what is practical and what is not. At this stage there may still be more than one possible solution (though for the Zero's price point, probably not).

If there are alternatives, someone has to decide which one is most likely to please most people for most time. RPF's track record at this is pretty good. It is even possible that other products (Pi Zero B?) are already designed and ready to roll (what will be on the cover of the January MagPi?)

So ideas are still good, to feed in to future products. Just don't blame anyone for not using your idea in the last product. And don't blame them for not using it in the next product, unless you can demonstrate that it has technical and economic legs. Without those, ideas will rightly remain as just that.
Signature retired

trip3980

Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:48 pm

davidcoton wrote:
trip3980 wrote:Its really about imagination.
Imagination is just the start. Often a good start, but seldom the end of the process.

There are other inputs too -- for the Zero, notably backwards compatibility and price point.

Then there is a LOT of design and development. Balancing the inputs, trying different compromises, working out what is practical and what is not. At this stage there may still be more than one possible solution (though for the Zero's price point, probably not).

If there are alternatives, someone has to decide which one is most likely to please most people for most time. RPF's track record at this is pretty good. It is even possible that other products (Pi Zero B?) are already designed and ready to roll (what will be on the cover of the January MagPi?)

So ideas are still good, to feed in to future products. Just don't blame anyone for not using your idea in the last product. And don't blame them for not using it in the next product, unless you can demonstrate that it has technical and economic legs. Without those, ideas will rightly remain as just that.
I liked how you spoke. and I agree with you. As for the economic legs I am a marketer and brander by trade and I can provide some base numbers to prove my theory that pi sale will go out of the roof with wifi and bluetooth added.

It makes sense tho why people are resistant to the idea because its no different then the days of the "Telephone." Public Skepticism was pretty big at first, but once the tech was implemented history was made. From a marketing perspective I can tell you that sometimes you have to sell it as a product that people didn't know that they needed it. Hell I would personally consult my marketing expertise for free because I believe in the idea and product so much. Not that my enthusiasm its obvious lol.

I love innovation and I think the PI opened the doors for innovation and tech freedom. So much so the little guy can create major ideas in his own basement. Living in California we don't have basements but you get the ideal lol.

Sometimes I think for tech to be implemented you have to sell it at cost then and in the long run when tech goes down in price you will have gained a foot hold in that market already. Innovators will later figure out how to improve upon the idea meanwhile the over head costs will go down allowing for increased ROI in the future.

For example think about sony playstation and amazon kindle. Its a long shot but profits are generally greater in the long run and holding a monopoly from that position means greater returns. The difference is you are looking at 5-7 instead of 3-5 years in ROI growth, but the margins are bigger overtime.

Return to “General discussion”