procount

Re: Pi Zero USB hub

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:27 pm

PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

mathew33

Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:54 am

Have you tried Hubpixed - it does not require any cable or connector and should work on HubPiZero W

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... hout-cable

m_stoops

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:07 am

Requiring a powered hub on a zero w just seems ridiculous! So much for the "Zero". Now I need to add all the support around it?!?

-Mike
••••••••••••••••••
Embrace technology. Share technology. Be technology. -MS

peterlite

Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:52 am

That USB 3 hub problem occurs across all types of computers. The USB controller chip is an incomplete implementation of USB 3. The Windows driver has special code to bypass the problem. The hubs work with Windows but nothing else. If you google the USB ID for the device, you will see dozens of posts for every OS and computer except Windows.

I have one USB 3 hub that works perfectly with Pi Zero and 3. The hub was the cheapest full power USB 3 hub at the time. The only difference is the brand of chip.

The hub power supply is 4 amps and powers a Pi 3 with Ethernet, HDMI active, keyboard, mouse, and a USB 3 2.5" 2 TB magnetic disk. Using the same hub with a Zero using VNC instead of HDMI, I managed to get two magnetic disks running.

CarlRJ

Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:28 am

m_stoops wrote:Requiring a powered hub on a zero w just seems ridiculous! So much for the "Zero". Now I need to add all the support around it?!?
No hub is required. It all depends on what you're trying to do with the Zero W. If you're trying to use a Zero W as a replacement for a desktop computer, you probably bought the wrong model of Raspberry Pi. The B+, 2B, and 3B all have a built-in 4-port USB hub and ethernet. They have a variety of models available, it's expected that you'll examine the various options before buying and pick the one that best suits your needs.

digger72

Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:54 am

mathew33 wrote:
Have you tried Hubpixed - it does not require any cable or connector and should work on HubPiZero W

Yes, it has been verified to work on the Raspberry Pi Zero W. Also works on the Raspberry Pi Zero.

HawaiianPi

Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:52 am

m_stoops wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:07 am
Requiring a powered hub on a zero w just seems ridiculous! So much for the "Zero". Now I need to add all the support around it?!?

-Mike
Expecting to use a $5 computer like a normal desktop computer is ridiculous. If you want to use a Raspberry Pi like a normal computer with multiple peripherals, then get a Pi3. The PiZero only has a single USB data port, and that's not exactly a secret, so if you bought one thinking that you could connect a keyboard, mouse and another USB device or two, then I suggest you do more research in the future to avoid purchasing the wrong product.

And technically you don't *require* a powered hub. That depends on what you are connecting. Sometimes a passive hub will work fine. In my experience, the number of interconnections is where problems arise. PiZero micro-USB port > micro-USB to USB-A OTG adapter > USB-A to USB Mini-B cable > USB hub > USB hub to whatever device or device connecting cable, etc. Lots of links in that chain to break, and micro-USB connections were not designed to deliver high current (only 500mA by spec).

So yes, a cheap USB hub with a cheap interconnecting cable and a cheap USB OTG adapter may very well be problematic. Then again it may work fine if the cheap components are of decent quality. Better quality components, fewer interconnections or a powered hub are all possible solutions (the latter being the most recommended),

In my case I normally use my PiZero headless with only a USB WiFi dongle. However, at one point I did experiment with connecting multiple USB devices through hubs that I already owned. Using the passive hub as described above with a USB keyboard, mouse and WiFi dongle often resulted in one device not working (usually the WiFi dongle). With a powered hub it was fine. Using a USB mini-B to micro-USB cable between the hub and PiZero (to eliminate the OTG adapter) fixed the problem. So it would seem that the OTG adapter was the problem, but that same OTG adapter works fine with only the WiFi dongle. There are hubs that have a built-in micro-USB cable for the PiZero, and in theory those should work better due to fewer interconnection losses, but I haven't tried any myself.

Bottom line is, passive hubs are always a crapshoot. They are never guaranteed to work. Powered hubs are the best solution when a hub is needed.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

ab1jx

Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:50 am

I'm finding my ZeroW quite handy hooked to the HDMI input on my TV, with a bluetooth keyboard/mouse and WiFi internet. I'd like to put it in a box with a display and battery. But yes, you can spend as much on adapters alone to connect it as you spent on the Zero. I'd forgotten there were unpowered hubs, so many things like bitcoin plug miners and DVD burners and hard drives are power hungry and push you into needing powered. A typical desktop machine may have 30 amps or more available at 5 volts.

ravenousld3341

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:24 am

mathew33 wrote:

I bought one a while back. I finally have a project that could greatly benefit from the hubpixed 1.3, but no matter what I do I can't get it to work. I have tried several things.

My zero is a v1.3
The Hubpixed is a v1.3

Its fastened to the PI0 using the supplied screws, and contacting the correct test points on the underside of the board. I've tried several different power sources as well all the way up to 2.0amp.

Any suggestions?

Maarko

Thu May 03, 2018 9:06 am

Hi need some help here. I have Raspi ZeroW running with latest raspbian. Ihave connected through HDMI to dvi cable. The problem is I can not get to work both the mouse and the keyboard. I have one USB 2.0 hub connected through OTG.

* The hub is a passive one
* Only mouse and keyboard no other USB devices are attached
* Only one of the 4 ports works with either mouse or the keyboard
* others 3 ports works fine with pen drive and USB sound card
* the USB hub works fine with other devices ( laptop running fedora 27, Android Phone, Android tablet) with or without USB OTG.
*The OTG cable works good with other devices

What could be the issue. The wire of the hub is more than 1 meter. is it possible that wire is dropping voltage. Is there anything I can do to make it work. Plese help. Also Im not native English speaker. Please pardon my English.
TIA

HawaiianPi

Thu May 03, 2018 5:28 pm

Maarko wrote:
Hi need some help here. I have Raspi ZeroW running with latest raspbian. Ihave connected through HDMI to dvi cable. The problem is I can not get to work both the mouse and the keyboard. I have one USB 2.0 hub connected through OTG.

* The hub is a passive one
A powered hub is really the best option.

Is it a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 hub?

Maarko wrote:
* Only mouse and keyboard no other USB devices are attached
* Only one of the 4 ports works with either mouse or the keyboard
This sounds like a problem with the hub.

Maarko wrote:
... The wire of the hub is more than 1 meter. is it possible that wire is dropping voltage. Is there anything I can do to make it work.
Try it with a shorter cable and see if that helps.

In my experience, the number of interconnections is where problems arise. PiZero micro-USB port > micro-USB to USB-A OTG adapter > USB-A to USB Mini-B cable > USB hub > USB hub to whatever device or device connecting cable, etc. Lots of links in that chain to break.

There are hubs that have a built-in micro-USB cable for the PiZero, and in theory those should work better due to fewer connection losses, but I haven't tried any myself. There are also hubs designed to attach directly to the Pi Zero test pads (no USB cable).

Bottom line is, passive hubs are never guaranteed to work. Powered hubs are the best solution when a hub is needed.

drgeoff

Thu May 03, 2018 6:25 pm

I expect the mouse and keyboard are USB1 devices whereas the other devices are USB2 or USB3. USB has always been the Achilles heel of RPis. Broadcom didn't design that subsystem for the SoC. They used a bought-in solution that isn't quite standard. A lot of software effort resulted in it working fairly well in most situations but it is not problem-free.

A long-ago, long thread at viewtopic.php?t=12097

bertlea

Fri May 04, 2018 3:14 am

I also think it is the USB Hub issue. I use a micro-USB Ethernet adapter with 3 extra USB ports from Pimoroni. So I can use it on my RPi-zero-W with LAN, keyboard and mouse connected. I found no issue on that one.

Maarko

Fri May 04, 2018 9:01 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 5:28 pm

Is it a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 hub?

It is a USB 2.0 hub. I know USB 3 hubs don't really go well with rpis. I will try to reduce interconnections and with a shorter cable. Also I will add an external power supply to the hub and see if that works. But I don't really have high hopes. I have read a forum post where a lot of USB hubs are listed that are known to work with rpis. But I am from India and here I could not find any of the. Seems like I am stuck.
Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it.

Maarko

Fri May 04, 2018 9:06 am

drgeoff wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 6:25 pm
I expect the mouse and keyboard are USB1 devices whereas the other devices are USB2 or USB3.
Thanks for the reply. I am pretty sure none of my devices are USB 3.0. The keyboard and the mouse are fairly new and of Logitech. I think they are USB 2 . Also the pen drives I tried are USB 2. I have also tried different keyboard and mouse combos but the results are the same. Tough luck I guess.

Maarko

Fri May 04, 2018 9:27 am

bertlea wrote:
I also think it is the USB Hub issue...
Hey bro thanks for the reply. Can you suggest me a hub that works with rpi zero W. I just need keyboard and mouse to work. Please suggest a cheap one.

fruitoftheloom

Fri May 04, 2018 9:42 am

Maarko wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:27 am
bertlea wrote:
I also think it is the USB Hub issue...
Hey bro thanks for the reply. Can you suggest me a hub that works with rpi zero W. I just need keyboard and mouse to work. Please suggest a cheap one.

Just a quick question, I presume you use a microUSB to USB adaptor, if so have you tried a different one ??
Retired disgracefully.....

Maarko

Fri May 04, 2018 2:29 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:42 am
Just a quick question, I presume you use a microUSB to USB adaptor, if so have you tried a different one ??
If you mean the OTG adapter then yes I have tried 3 different ones. The all behave exactly same.

Solarapollo05

Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:26 am

liz wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:33 pm
You'll need a powered hub.

My hub is being powered but is however still not working

HawaiianPi

Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:41 am

Solarapollo05 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:26 am
My hub is being powered but is however still not working
What kind of hub is it (make, model, link)?

mrreality13

Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:57 pm

i use this ,its tha same size as a zero ,actually have it velcroed to the bottom of my zero case .I have a wireless keyboard dongle and 2 ssd usb drives pluged in and all work fine w/ a offical pi power brick
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JL ... UTF8&psc=1
remember ,never approach a computer thinking this will only take a minute
~~pi zero w and a 3b+

wh7qq

Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:45 pm

The "Zero4U", http://www.uugear.com/product/zero4u/ is dirt cheap and works great. It mounts under the RPi Zero and is powered by pogo pins in contact with the powered contacts on the bottom of the Zero. It has 4 standard USB ports with white LEDs indicating ports in use and a blue LED showing its powered status. It has exactly the same footprint and mounting holes as the Zero and separate versions for the early Zero w/o camera and the later versions with camera (1.3, W and WH). It leaves all GPIO pins fully accessible. They even include screws and spacers for mounting it and they also sell an acrylic case to accommodate the combination. I have an early version in use and it is exactly as advertised.

Return to “General discussion”