jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 22080
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Meet Raspberry Pi Zero: the $5 computer

Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:39 am

gregeric wrote:It's a difficult game to play, but here goes anyhow: I would say it seems they underestimated the popularity of the Pi2 & how it hit would hit the sales of the single core products. A nice problem to have in a business sense. Altenatively: they were committed to their promise of not deprecating existing products.
They always knew the Pi2 would sell big, and cannibalize sales of the now lower end devices. But there was always the desire to ensure supply of older devices was maintained as lots of people use them commercially.

Any supply problems were caused by lack of manufacturing capacity rather than incorrect predictions - the Sony factory can only make so many a day!!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

spock
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:33 am

Re: Meet Raspberry Pi Zero: the $5 computer

Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:18 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
scotty101 wrote:The zero doesn't have any power protection features.
And that is one factor that makes the Pi0 less than ideal for rank beginners....more ways to fry the board when you don't know what you're doing. In spite of the price, the Pi0 is really an "intermediate" or "advanced" board.
and what do the power protection features of the bigger raspberry pis protect? are the gpio's more secured? sorry, i have no clue about this power protection. :)

gregeric
Posts: 1508
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:08 am

Re: Meet Raspberry Pi Zero: the $5 computer

Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:41 pm

There is no protection on GPIO for any model Pi. The Zero is the only Pi with no polyfuse on the main power in. Power in goes straight through to the 5V on the GPIO connector and that on the USB Vbus. Short any of those to ground and as much current as your PSU is happy to send will flow... Nothing to worry about really, now you know that you'll be a little more careful when experimenting.

Edited to add: Just looked up the current rating of a typical 0603 package zero-ohm resistor (used on the Zero to link power in to Vbus) and the sheet says 1.5A. Doesn't say what current will cause magic blue smoke to escape from it, but in a sense there may be some form of protection for USB, but of course it will need a repair/bodge wire to bring it back to life.

Edit 2: It probably isn't a good idea to hook up directly 3/4 x AA rechargeables as a portable power source for the Zero without a fuse in between. Better still put a buck/boost converter in between.

User avatar
danpeirce
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 8:32 am
Location: Richmond & Surrey BC Canada
Contact: Website

Re: Meet Raspberry Pi Zero: the $5 computer

Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:20 am

$5 US or perhaps $10 Canadian sounds like an amazing price (can't see a price on http://canada.newark.com/ but $14 here http://www.bc-robotics.com/shop/raspberry-pi-zero/).

So can one move the memory card between different Pi models? I guess I'm thinking it would be easiest to load packages on a Pi with a Ethernet connection.

The Pi zero with Jessie lite looks like an economical way to add mass storage, OTG and Linux to projects.

User avatar
mikronauts
Posts: 2698
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:28 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Meet Raspberry Pi Zero: the $5 computer

Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:13 pm

Once the stock situation settles down it should be around $7Cdn

Personally, I am waiting for one of the US supplies to get them in at $5 so I can get 10 :)
danpeirce wrote:$5 US or perhaps $10 Canadian sounds like an amazing price (can't see a price on http://canada.newark.com/ but $14 here http://www.bc-robotics.com/shop/raspberry-pi-zero/).

So can one move the memory card between different Pi models? I guess I'm thinking it would be easiest to load packages on a Pi with a Ethernet connection.

The Pi zero with Jessie lite looks like an economical way to add mass storage, OTG and Linux to projects.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

gman83
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:09 pm

Re: Meet Raspberry Pi Zero: the $5 computer

Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:39 am

Just ordered a cheap mains powered USB hub (below). WIll it be possible to power the pi from the hub itself, saving a mains socket space? Or is that a bad idea? I will only be plugging a keyboard, mouse and wifi adapter into the usb hub.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-PORT-MAINS- ... Swv0tVHTSd

gkreidl
Posts: 5916
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Meet Raspberry Pi Zero: the $5 computer

Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:05 am

gman83 wrote:Just ordered a cheap mains powered USB hub (below). WIll it be possible to power the pi from the hub itself, saving a mains socket space? Or is that a bad idea? I will only be plugging a keyboard, mouse and wifi adapter into the usb hub.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-PORT-MAINS- ... Swv0tVHTSd
From the web link:
1 x 5 VOLT 500map POWER SUPPLY
Rubbish! A 7 port hub should come with a 3.5 Amp power supply.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

User avatar
RaTTuS
Posts: 10245
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK

Re: Meet Raspberry Pi Zero: the $5 computer

Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:09 am

gman83 wrote:Just ordered a cheap mains powered USB hub (below). WIll it be possible to power the pi from the hub itself, saving a mains socket space? Or is that a bad idea? I will only be plugging a keyboard, mouse and wifi adapter into the usb hub.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-PORT-MAINS- ... Swv0tVHTSd
those hubs back power,
but you will need a much better PSU TBH
get something with 2Amp
it may work but chances are you will be better off with a PSU that puts out more power
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

gman83
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:09 pm

Re: Meet Raspberry Pi Zero: the $5 computer

Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:05 pm

RaTTuS wrote:
gman83 wrote:Just ordered a cheap mains powered USB hub (below). WIll it be possible to power the pi from the hub itself, saving a mains socket space? Or is that a bad idea? I will only be plugging a keyboard, mouse and wifi adapter into the usb hub.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-PORT-MAINS- ... Swv0tVHTSd
those hubs back power,
but you will need a much better PSU TBH
get something with 2Amp
it may work but chances are you will be better off with a PSU that puts out more power
Thanks, I'll give it a go an report back. It would be a bonus if it did, but as long as I can hook up my k/board,mouse and wifi.

mikerr
Posts: 2747
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: UK
Contact: Website

Re: Meet Raspberry Pi Zero: the $5 computer

Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:47 pm

In stock at both thepihut and pimoni right now...
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Massi
Posts: 1690
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 1:52 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Meet Raspberry Pi Zero: the $5 computer

Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:22 pm

and as always in italy no chance to get one
i'm so tired of this..

ame
Posts: 3172
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:21 am
Location: Korea

Re: Meet Raspberry Pi Zero: the $5 computer

Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:35 pm

Massi wrote:and as always in italy no chance to get one
i'm so tired of this..
Did you try thePiHut or Pimoroni? They have them right now. I think they ship to Italy.

User avatar
ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4045
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:51 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Meet Raspberry Pi Zero: the $5 computer

Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:53 pm

mikronauts wrote:Once the stock situation settles down it should be around $7Cdn

Personally, I am waiting for one of the US supplies to get them in at $5 so I can get 10 :)
Microcenter is getting a freshly baked batch of 1100 in on the 18th. Supposedly it's still in-store only & one per customer/household but last time at least at one store if you didn't go crazy you could buy an extras

User avatar
dliloch
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:28 pm
Location: cleveland, ohio usa

Re: Meet Raspberry Pi Zero: the $5 computer

Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:57 pm

Pi-Hut is out of pi zeroes..

Massi
Posts: 1690
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 1:52 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Meet Raspberry Pi Zero: the $5 computer

Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:30 pm

ame wrote:
Massi wrote:and as always in italy no chance to get one
i'm so tired of this..
Did you try thePiHut or Pimoroni? They have them right now. I think they ship to Italy.
they do not

fritsvanbeukering
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 10:58 am

Re: Meet Raspberry Pi Zero: the $5 computer

Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:56 pm

Running Owncloud 8.1 on a Pi Zero.
Apache 2.4
PhP 5.6
SQLite3
On a 8 gb card.
Relatively responsive.

Because it is possible, that's why.

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 9999
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Meet Raspberry Pi Zero: the $5 computer

Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:29 pm

Massi wrote:
ame wrote:
Massi wrote:and as always in italy no chance to get one
i'm so tired of this..
Did you try thePiHut or Pimoroni? They have them right now. I think they ship to Italy.
they do not
Not strictly true. Pimoroni still has "kits"...a Pi0 plus other stuff for a good bit more that just a Pi0. Whether or not you think the extras justify the price or not is a personal call.

Massi
Posts: 1690
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 1:52 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Meet Raspberry Pi Zero: the $5 computer

Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:37 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Massi wrote:
ame wrote:I think they ship to Italy.
they do not
Not strictly true. Pimoroni still has "kits"...a Pi0 plus other stuff for a good bit more that just a Pi0. Whether or not you think the extras justify the price or not is a personal call.
they _do not_ ship to italy :)
(with standard shipping, i mean)

User avatar
liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5197
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:22 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Meet Raspberry Pi Zero: the $5 computer

Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:28 pm

I spoke to Paul at Pimoroni about that this morning: there are a few countries where they've had repeated problems with the local post office (deliveries turning up damaged, absurdly late, or just disappearing) and will only offer courier service to as a result. Looks like Italy's one of those.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

ame
Posts: 3172
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:21 am
Location: Korea

Re: Meet Raspberry Pi Zero: the $5 computer

Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:33 pm

Massi wrote: they _do not_ ship to italy :)
(with standard shipping, i mean)
Ah, sorry. I did not check. I just assumed you could get standard shipping to Italy. I can to Korea (w00tberries!).

Better luck next time.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 19483
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Meet Raspberry Pi Zero: the $5 computer

Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:19 am

As we have a lot of angst posting about missing features, thought I would undertake some research, still awaiting a RPi0 myself....

I am aware that over the last few months that the Google Chromecast have Ethernet over USB Support in the OS Linux Kernel Firmware for the AX88xx Chipset :

http://www.instructables.com/id/Connect ... a-Ethernet

Therefore would this work with the RPi0 to back power thru USB Port (and maybe the A+ as well ?) and have Ethernet Connection :?:
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 11739
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: Meet Raspberry Pi Zero: the $5 computer

Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:52 am

why an AX88xx chip? A LAN9512 chip does the same thing, and is directly supported by all PI software!

As I have previously stated, if you just need connectivity, why not use one of the many chips that interface via SPI, or USART, so you don't need to occupy the one USB port you have. Such chips can do Ethernet, Wifi or bluetooth for less than most USB dongles.
Pimorony already designed and sells a WiFi PHAT board for the Zero.

But yes, back powering though the data microUSB is very possible on a Zero.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 19483
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Meet Raspberry Pi Zero: the $5 computer

Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:48 am

mahjongg wrote:why an AX88xx chip? A LAN9512 chip does the same thing, and is directly supported by all PI software!

As I have previously stated, if you just need connectivity, why not use one of the many chips that interface via SPI, or USART, so you don't need to occupy the one USB port you have. Such chips can do Ethernet, Wifi or bluetooth for less than most USB dongles.
Pimorony already designed and sells a WiFi PHAT board for the Zero.

But yes, back powering though the data microUSB is very possible on a Zero.
Yes quite agree there are alternatives, not what I actually asked now is it, comprehension

.....was just trying to get a definitive answer if the scenario used for the ChromeCast would work on the RPiZero :?
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

gregeric
Posts: 1508
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:08 am

Re: Meet Raspberry Pi Zero: the $5 computer

Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:48 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:.....was just trying to get a definitive answer if the scenario used for the ChromeCast would work on the RPiZero[/b] :?
Can't see why it wouldn't, I guess the only reason they're stressing that chipset for use with the chromecast is cos it's the same as in the official product & therefore drivers are built in to the kernel on that device.

This http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-USB-to- ... Sw8-tWVCsG is a bit neater & has USB hub too. Reportedly it will back-power but I doubt it comes with a mains adapter, you'll have to find one or power the Zero conventionally.

Another option for (true) internet-over-USB (& power) on the Zero is to tether it to a mobile phone.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 19483
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Meet Raspberry Pi Zero: the $5 computer

Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:07 am

gregeric wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:.....was just trying to get a definitive answer if the scenario used for the ChromeCast would work on the RPiZero[/b] :?
Can't see why it wouldn't, I guess the only reason they're stressing that chipset for use with the chromecast is cos it's the same as in the official product & therefore drivers are built in to the kernel on that device.

This http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-USB-to- ... Sw8-tWVCsG is a bit neater & has USB hub too. Reportedly it will back-power but I doubt it comes with a mains adapter, you'll have to find one or power the Zero conventionally.

Another option for (true) internet-over-USB (& power) on the Zero is to tether it to a mobile phone.
Thank you yes the AX88xx is in the Official £15.00 product AFAIAA, but to expensive

https://store.google.com/product/ethern ... chromecast

Just need to wait for a RPi0.......
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

Return to “General discussion”