jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Farnell VS RS delivery times

Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:33 pm

It's worth reiterating that RS and Farnell have different production line and component ordering systems (They are after all completely independent companies) , and that the Foundation itself has NO influence over either company in either respect, apart from talking to them on the phone and asking politely! So if you have a problem with one or the other, it's worth checking out the alternative to see if you can reduce your lead time, and whether it's worth doing.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

bobc47

Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:11 pm

I ordered mine from Newark / Element 14 on Aug 11 and got notified it was shipped yesterday by priority mail so I should have it by friday. They initially said it would be shipped the first week of september so they are a little ahead

Bob
canibalimao wrote:Does anyone knows if Farnell is fulfilling the expected delivery time?
I ordered my first Pi on 30th June on RS, but after reading the warnings here and after try to contact RS without success, I ordered another one today on Farnell (ORP072***). I just want to know if it will take those 3 weeks to arrive, or if they are dalayed.
Bob

pulling what little is left of my hair out - again

W. H. Heydt

Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:26 pm

Since this is an "RS vs. Farnell delivery times" thread, here is a comparison....

RS (Allied):
Ordered 2 Pi: 5 July
Shipped: 24 August
Delivered: 29 August

Farnell (Newark/Element14):
Ordered 2 Pi: 13 July
Shipped: 25 July
Delivered: 1 August

Notes:
1.The two that arrived from Allied today have polyfuses, not 0 ohm resistors, so the inventory movement hasn't completely cleared that issue yet. These Pis have not yet been tested,which leads me to...
2. One of the units from Newark turned out to be defective (showed low on-board voltage with known good setup).
Tested as bad and RMA requested on 13 August.
RMA approved on 14 August, e-mail exchange initiated by Newark
to arrange an replacement unit.
Replacement Pi delivered 16 August, tested good.

bouillard

Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:56 am

W. H. Heydt wrote: RS (Allied):
Why have you been delivered with an order in July ?!
Are you a professionnal ?

sgegreen

Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:30 pm

I expressed an interest in the Raspberry Pi on RS' website in early May, was allowed to order at the end of June and now hope to get my Model B + clear case + power supply sometime in October.

Like every one else I paid RS at the time of order, but what troubles me is that business rather than private customers seem to have had no trouble in placing and receiving orders already.

I looked on eBay and there are literally hundreds of Raspberry Pi boards available at a typical Buy it Now price of £42-£50 including delivery from sellers who seem to have plenty for delivery within days.

I can't imagine that the foundation intended these sellers to profit so much from the shortages while indviduals who paid RS in advance have to wait for months.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:28 pm

I suspect that most of the sellers who have big stocks (as opposed to individuals with one or two to sell) bought them from farnell (who as has been discussed in this thread are far less backordered than RS are).

W. H. Heydt

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:26 pm

bouillard wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote: RS (Allied):
Why have you been delivered with an order in July ?!
Are you a professionnal ?
Well...the better part of 40 years of being paid to program computers, but not "professional" in the sense I think you mean it.

I'm in California (SF Bay Area), which is why I gave the order as being from "RS(Allied)". These Pis were shipped from Dallas, TX by FedEx Ground.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:04 am

plugwash wrote:I suspect that most of the sellers who have big stocks (as opposed to individuals with one or two to sell) bought them from farnell (who as has been discussed in this thread are far less backordered than RS are).
Hmmm... Problem is.... Which is cause and which is effect? I would have presumed that the large bulk orders were from RS, and that's why RS is so heavily back ordered and Farnell isn't.

itimpi

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:26 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
plugwash wrote:I suspect that most of the sellers who have big stocks (as opposed to individuals with one or two to sell) bought them from farnell (who as has been discussed in this thread are far less backordered than RS are).
Hmmm... Problem is.... Which is cause and which is effect? I would have presumed that the large bulk orders were from RS, and that's why RS is so heavily back ordered and Farnell isn't.
I suspect that there is no cause and effect. We do not have any evidence (as far as I know) as to whom is supplying Maplins and similar suppliers. I guess we will know more when Maplins start shipping and we see who their Pi's come from.

Farnell and RS will have their own independent contracts for sourcing components; manufacturing the Pi boards; and getting them assembled into the finished product. It seems to me that Farnell simply did a better job at forecasting their needs and managing their side of the manufacturing process compared to RS.

canibalimao

Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:41 pm

bobc47 wrote:I ordered mine from Newark / Element 14 on Aug 11 and got notified it was shipped yesterday by priority mail so I should have it by friday. They initially said it would be shipped the first week of september so they are a little ahead

Bob
canibalimao wrote:Does anyone knows if Farnell is fulfilling the expected delivery time?
I ordered my first Pi on 30th June on RS, but after reading the warnings here and after try to contact RS without success, I ordered another one today on Farnell (ORP072***). I just want to know if it will take those 3 weeks to arrive, or if they are dalayed.
My order (placed on 20th this month) was shipped today from Farnell. I hope it arrive next week as planed on the shipping report.

Excellent job Element 14 :D

ivoneto91

Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:22 pm

canibalimao wrote:
bobc47 wrote:I ordered mine from Newark / Element 14 on Aug 11 and got notified it was shipped yesterday by priority mail so I should have it by friday. They initially said it would be shipped the first week of september so they are a little ahead

Bob
My order (placed on 20th this month) was shipped today from Farnell. I hope it arrive next week as planed on the shipping report.

And RS order?
They send any news?

They still dont send any email to me...

canibalimao

Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:36 pm

ivoneto91 wrote:
canibalimao wrote:My order (placed on 20th this month) was shipped today from Farnell. I hope it arrive next week as planed on the shipping report.

And RS order?
They send any news?

They still dont send any email to me...
They just told me, this week, that shipping is delayed by about 4 weeks. Haven't you received that?
I'm considering cancel the order and wait for the money. I don't think that anyone would buy me that RPi in October or November even if I seel it by the tabled price...

bouillard

Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:47 pm

I have make an order to RS the 29 June (ID 122xxx).
Expected delay : 11 weeks + 4 new weeks

I have make an other order to Farnell the 16 August.
I just have received the ship mail !

THANK YOU FARNELL !
Now, I just have to cancel RS order...

ezod

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:45 pm

ezod wrote:
jambomac wrote: For what it's worth, I registered with Farnell on Sunday 19th Aug due to the fact the website said "within 3 weeks" only 1 week has past, 2 weeks to go. I also wait in anticipation. Therefore give them the benefit of the doubt.
Same here. Ordered 15th Aug with the message "within 3 weeks"...1 week to go ;)
A quick update: Today (31th Aug) I recivied my shipping confirmation.

brs

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:57 pm

From Farnell UK:

RPI-I: ordered July 16, shipped July 24
RPI-II: ordered August 20, shipped August 31.

canibalimao

Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:22 pm

bouillard wrote:Now, I just have to cancel RS order...
I'm in the same situation as you, but I don't know if it's a good idea cancel the RS order. Are they returning the money already? Some weeks ago, everyone is complaining about that (RS don't return the money after 14 days of the cancel date). I don't know if this scenario is still the same...

brs wrote:From Farnell UK:

RPI-I: ordered July 16, shipped July 24
RPI-II: ordered August 20, shipped August 31.
Seems that Farnell save this day to ship all the RPi :mrgreen:

jambomac

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:04 pm

A quick update: Today (31th Aug) I received my shipping confirmation.

Estimated delivery 2-5 days.

Well done Farnell

sgegreen

Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:35 pm

Second RPi ordered, this time from Farnell.

If they deliver promptly, yet another RS order will be cancelled.

RS give one of the cancellation reasons as 'Long lead time'.

I guess it's a choice between that and 'No longer required'.

It's time you renamed that website, RS...

ivoneto91

Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:48 pm

[/quote]

Excellent job Element 14 :D[/quote]

And RS order?
They send any news?

They still dont send any email to me...[/quote]

Im thinking, if i cancel the order, have a probability to be without money and without the raspi.

I learn a thing with this purchase.
Next payments, only paypal.

canibalimao

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:00 am

ivoneto91 wrote:Im thinking, if i cancel the order, have a probability to be without money and without the raspi.

I learn a thing with this purchase.
Next payments, only paypal.
That is, probabily, the most certain thing that could happen to you. But there are users who said that have canceled the order, and, weeks later, the Pi arrives :?

When my Pi from Farnell arrives I will cancel the RS order. If they don't return me the money I'll have to report the situation to my bank and see what they recomend me to do...

The problem with paypal is that they "steal" your money everytime they see the most small thing wrong with your account... But yes, on this cases is the most safe way to buy stuff.

troombatzia

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:29 am

Do you know if Farnell works on sunday?

My credit card was charged by Farnell yesterday. As they say they charge the credit card after the goods are dispatched, could I think my Raspy was dispatched? I still didn't receive confirmation email.
English isn’t my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.

Cotard

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:35 am

sgegreen wrote:Second RPi ordered, this time from Farnell.

RS = Really Slowly

canibalimao

Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:40 pm

troombatzia wrote:Do you know if Farnell works on sunday?

My credit card was charged by Farnell yesterday. As they say they charge the credit card after the goods are dispatched, could I think my Raspy was dispatched? I still didn't receive confirmation email.
I have no idea, but I don't think so.

Maybe they've already send it to you or will be sent this week.
Mine was sent on friday, but they haven't charged my credit card yet :shock:

Huntsekker

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:59 pm

March 29th: Registered interest with RS
June 20th: Invited to order with RS
June 20th: Order placed with RS, 9 weeks expected delivery, order #819XX
August 28th: Email sent to RS enquiring about order - ignored
August 29th: Generic email received from RS with updated delivery schedule not relevant to my order #
August 29th: Order placed with Farnell, delivery expected within 3 weeks
August 30th: Email sent to RS enquiring about order - ignored
September 3rd: Order shipped from Farnell
September 3rd: RS order cancelled
Now I just need to wait to be refunded and then I'll close my RS account.

It appears that Farnell can deliver quicker than RS can respond to emails.
sgegreen wrote:Second RPi ordered, this time from Farnell.

If you select "other" it gives you a box to enter the reason. I listed mine as "Broken queuing system, non-existant customer service. Will never do business with you again."

troombatzia

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:47 pm

Huntsekker wrote:March 29th: Registered interest with RS

August 29th: Order placed with Farnell, delivery expected within 3 weeks
August 30th: Email sent to RS enquiring about order - ignored
September 3rd: Order shipped from Farnell
Fantastic! I placed an order on 30 August with Farnell. Hope my shipping is fast as yours. Thanks for news, anyway.
English isn’t my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.

Return to “General discussion”