[quote]Quote from Jessie on November 8, 2011, 00:31
Do you want them to deliver a hot meal and a naked women with it as well?[/quote]
Maybe with the Model B?
[quote]Quote from kme on November 8, 2011, 01:21
Broadcom has already payed their license free to whoever owns the patents (otherwise they couldn\'t make the GPU).
So it\'s non-free, and that\'s acceptable to me and I choose willingly to buy knowing what I do. But it\'s still non-free and it isn\'t gratis either as Broadcom must charge a premium to recover their expenses for the license.
There ain\'t such as free lunches.[/quote]
You seem to be assuming that the license fee is paid in advance as a set fee either as a one-time or per device manufactured, and there\'s only one available pre-built set of licenses. As opposed to per sold device depending on what codecs are included in the binary blob or whatever. I don\'t think that\'s necessarily the case.
[quote]Quote from liz on September 21, 2011, 04:10
We haven\'t decided yet about codec licensing (which would be from MPEG-LA), although the board does support it in hardware. I\'ll be writing a post on the blog when we\'ve finished negotiation about codecs later on; I think you\'d be pretty shocked to find just how much of the cost of the final board is taken up in licence fees, so we\'re having to think very hard about exactly which ones to include. (Example: AAC costs us 4% of the price of each board!) For most people, the decoding done by h.264 should be sufficient, although there are good arguments for including the codecs you mention - we\'ll let everyone here know when we\'ve made a decision.[/quote]
This forum thread may be of interest to you as it\'s primarily about the licensing and the effects it will have, it\'s where the above quote was taken from:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum?mingle ... opic&t=565
This summary was confirmed by Liz:
[quote]Quote from yakovlev on September 21, 2011, 23:19
Just to add some information to my own question, from what I\'ve been able to determine.
Raspberry Pi uses an embedded acceleration API known as OpenMAX. This API basically requires a separate codec be supplied in the \"binary blob\" for each media type.
OpenMAX seems to have limited linux support, mainly with gstreamer and possibly also with VLC. Unfortunately, it sounds like most of the linux media applications use ffmpeg, which lacks OpenMAX backend support. Neither VA-API nor VDPAU are supported.
To make a long story short (too late) the ARM core will hopefully be sufficient for SD video, as that is all that most media applications will have access to. Selected media applications will be able to use the accelerated codecs, but only if each individual codec is licensed by the foundation (included in the binary blob) which will be a significant licensing cost per codec. There is no \"generic\" back end that can be used to accelerate all video codecs using OpenGL 2.0 (or something similar) primitives.
Also in the thread about 5.1 audio here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum?mingle ... opic&t=872
[quote]Quote from liz on October 27, 2011, 22:30
I have a *lot* to say about the price Dolby demands for licences, which will be going into a blog post later on when we\'ve finalised all the codec licences for the board. In short, the licence we have to buy for Dolby 5.1 takes up 4% of the $25 cost of the board, which seems absolutely obscene when you consider everything else that makes up the other 96%. (Hardware prices have been really manageable, and h.264, which does a hell of a lot more, costs a hell of a lot less - the licence for 5.1 was a real stand-out in terms of price.) It\'s a racket, and it\'s particularly infuriating because we know that a lot of our audience won\'t find the device usable without it.
I can\'t confirm yet whether or not it\'ll be on all the devices - we may go so far as to have two separate options you can buy, one with 5.1 and one without, calling out the cost as we go. Whatever we end up doing, I do want to draw attention to just how much of the cost of a unit is sunk in licensing fees. Pretty much all of the hardware manufacturers we\'ve dealt with have been extremely cool, have given us discounts because they want to support what the charity\'s doing, and have been very easy to work with. Not so the codec licensing guys, who have been absolutely immovable. [/quote]
I\'ve not seen any updates as to codec licensing but my search-fu on these forums (great content, awful forum interface) is not too strong. Liz is probably the person to ask if you\'re interested in the current state of play, I\'m content to wait until it\'s all announced. I trust the RasPi team to get us the best deal they can. If that means I\'ve got to pay an extra quid or three seperately to get more GPU accelerated codec support but not to burden others with unnecessary cost, that\'s cool. If they can include most of it at the already given price-point, even better.