redhawk

software for hardware assisted h.264 video encoding??

Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:31 pm

From what I understand the PI can perform h.264 hardware decoding and h.264 hardware assisted encoding.

Is it possible to get ffmpeg to perform hardware assisted h.264 video encoding or to complie ffmpeg with this feature enabled??

Richard S.

Paul Webster

Re: software for hardware assisted h.264 video encoding??

Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Technically it would be possible for someone to write the code ... but in the meantime try omxplayer (lots more about it around this forum).

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:06 pm

You cannot use the HW encoder - there is no licence for it. We hope to provide encoding at some point, but it requires licence payment to MPEGLA, which would have put the price up for everyone by $2 had it been included with every Pi. When the camera board is released, that will need a licence for the encoder.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

khh

Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:40 am

jamesh wrote:You cannot use the HW encoder - there is no licence for it. We hope to provide encoding at some point, but it requires licence payment to MPEGLA, which would have put the price up for everyone by $2 had it been included with every Pi. When the camera board is released, that will need a licence for the encoder.
I don't suppose it'd be possible to frame in inquiry to MPEGLA, so that they'd have the options of either providing it for free or looking like power-hungry jerks who refuses allow a charity for children to use their technology? Just wondering... ;)

Burngate

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:38 am

Unfortunately, MPEGLA is set up in such a way that they find it impossible to do what we want.
They're a consortium with lots of members who would all have to get together to make a unanimous decision.
When first set up, a licence at $2 for a $200 settop box was reasonable. Now the same for a $35 board is not. But changing things now is difficult.

AndrewS

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:15 am

For more discussion along similar lines, see this big thread http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =24&t=3538

nmz787

Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:07 am

jamesh wrote:You cannot use the HW encoder - there is no licence for it. We hope to provide encoding at some point, but it requires licence payment to MPEGLA, which would have put the price up for everyone by $2 had it been included with every Pi. When the camera board is released, that will need a licence for the encoder.
But I don't need a camera board, since I can get an HD 1080P USB 2.0 camera from Amazon.com now for $12.95 shipped. I just need H.264 hardware-assisted encoding.

http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-RIWC-110 ... 80p+camera

jamesh

Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:58 am

We now provide a HW encoding licence for H264 for free - think you just need to upgrade to the latest distribution.

That webcam must do some compression already to get 1080p30 to the host.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Return to “General discussion”