Balthazar54

OS for a old pc similar to Raspberry Pi

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:54 pm

I have an old Compaq 5000 series pc with Windows XP on it. It has an 80gb hard drive, dvd, cd r+w, 500 mb ram shared with the video card, and if I remember right an AMD cpu running somewhere about 1.2 to 1.5 ghz. I have not even turned it on in years. What would be an os I can use to replace xp that would be similar to what the Raspberry Pi default os will be once it gets here, and where would I find it?

I'm thinking of using this system after adding another HD I have laying around as a server for the RP for backups, cd & dvd drives, and just figuring out how to communicate between them.
Question: linux != tanstaafl ?

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: OS for a old pc similar to Raspberry Pi

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:10 pm

Ubuntu? Maybe a slightly older version like lucid lynx? I run lucid on a Pentium IV 2 GHz with 60 Gb HDD. Runs much better than XP :lol: If you make a live CD you can try it out before you commit yourself too. :D
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

nick.mccloud

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:19 pm

http://www.debian.org/distrib/

Pretty much the same as the original RPi OS release - assumes some knowledge when it comes to installing the GUI.

brainsys

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:53 pm

Ubuntu is the domesticated version of Debian so easier easier to install and more community support. One downside is their new GUI 'unity' which has a bit of a Marmitey reputation. Kubuntu is the same underneath the hood but sports the KDE GUI much favoured by the more geeky tendency (and is more Windozy).

When you get down to command level then the differences are cosmetic and with the initial set of software. But you can just apt-get with either to build the system you want. Most Linux distributions provide a 'Live' iso you can download, burn a CD and try it out without installing it on your hard disk. Runs slower. When you are happy just click the Install icon, make a pot of tea and in 20 minutes or so you are in a real Redmond free environment.

Balthazar54

Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:17 am

Thanks for the tips folks. I'll try burning a couple of live cd's and see what works out.
Question: linux != tanstaafl ?

999frogs

Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:17 am

• good: find what you like to use on the pi then install the equivalent on the pc
  • better: find what you like to use on the pi then install something different on the PC and learn how to make them work together
  • best: find what you like to use on the pc, then port it to the pi :)

NickT

Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:10 am

I had a similar machine (Athlon/ Duron?, about 1.2GHz and only 256M RAM) with a corrupted Windows ME OS. I put Xubuntu 10 on to it, which saved it from the dump. It was fairly slow, paging a lot, but spending £5 on ebay for 500 MB of old format memory turned into a workable machine. It's very useful now for cross-compiling for the RPi, resizing partitions etc. I've not tried upgrading to version 12, as the disk is now getting fairly full but it's still OK with version 11.

james968

Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:19 am

For Debian you might want to use the LXDE Live Image, that will give you (essentially) the same Desktop as the RPi.

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/relea ... esktop.iso

Return to “General discussion”