julianlewis

Tricky networking problem BBC

Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:41 am

My problem:

I have a raspberry pi attached to a router in the UK, so it gets an ip address 192,168.1.x
I install no-ip on it so that I can access it via its external wan ip address using ssh
I live in France and have a French ISP
I can easily ssh from France onto my UK raspberry pi

I want to have access to the UK Internet from France, the BBC has started to block VPN connections
The PI only has one Ethernet port !
I have looked at various ideas involving NAT, Masquerade, Squid Proxy, sockets, …..
I want to have UK Internet here in France, I have a second PI in France that can act as a wireless router for eth0.

So using no-ip the French PI can find the UK system.
I guess I want to set the default-gateway of the French PI to point to the UK PI

Question:
How should I configure the UK PI to share its Internet connection with my French PI
The only idea I can come up with is to implements a process that opens a TCP socket and copies packets to and from the local 192,168.1.x on the UK pi !!! This seems like a kludge.

Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks

stderr

Re: Tricky networking problem BBC

Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:39 am

julianlewis wrote:How should I configure the UK PI to share its Internet connection with my French PI The only idea I can come up with is to implements a process that opens a TCP socket and copies packets to and from the local 192,168.1.x on the UK pi !!! This seems like a kludge.
If you want to really be in the UK with your connection, I think you'd want to really connect from the UK to the source of whatever you want, then copy that source to wherever you are actually at. Of course I'd wonder about performance with the RPi if you are talking about streaming video, which is what they are blocking, right? My only personal experience is with a pi being used to bring in wifi and then send it out on the ethernet port for a network. That did work for modest things. Of course your bottleneck might be upload speed in the UK, I don't know.

julianlewis

Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:12 am

I have a very good connection in both countries, 100mb +
I have no performance issues when I implemented a wifi router. So this shouldn't be different.

davidcoton

Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:43 am

I'm afraid it may be very different. The Pi hardware architecture puts much lower limits on the port throughput, and with one port passing traffic in two directions, the performance won't be great. Only experiment will prove if it is adequate.

As to the original question about configuration, I'm sorry I just don't know -- I've never needed to try any such thing.
Signature retired

DougieLawson

Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:55 am

Why not run your own VPN?

There's a tutorial on the BBC (irony?) which shows you how to set it up on a Raspberry.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33548728
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

ethanol100

Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:01 am

If you can already connect from your France Pi to the your UK Pi per ssh it should be easy. You can use a SOCKS proxy like this on your France Pi:

Code: Select all

ssh -D 0.0.0.0:8080 user@uk-dyn-ip.addr
Now you can configure your local computer to use the France Pi as a proxy(local ip of the France Pi and the port 8080 as chosen as example above).

For automatic connection I would use ssh key authorisation and would use autossh to automatically create the ssh tunnel.

For Firefox the "FoxyProxy" is useful to configure the proxy.

julianlewis

Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:00 pm

The France pi is set up as a wifi router, that makes it easy to use chromecast to watch stuff. I obviously need to learn more about SOCKS. if I understand correctly you suggest letting ssh server on the UK Pi solve the problem with no special configuration.
Thanks will check that out.

ethanol100

Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:34 pm

Sorry, a chromecast is not very configurable, you can not directly use a socks proxy for it.

Woll

Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:15 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Why not run your own VPN?

There's a tutorial on the BBC (irony?) which shows you how to set it up on a Raspberry.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33548728
Does the BBC have regular tutorials on computing?
Who ate all the Pi's? Who ate all the Pi's?
Boris Johnson, Boris Johnson,
Who ate all the Pi's?

DougieLawson

Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:18 pm

Woll wrote: Does the BBC have regular tutorials on computing?
No. They have a regular magazine program called "Click" (which I won't watch because its presenter annoys me). It's also too simplistic for me. Click is made by BBC News and shown on their 24 hr rolling news channel.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

julianlewis

Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:20 am

Ok, I will put up a definitive guide on what I am doing. Basically the UK pi runs an ssh server that the French pi accesses across SOCKS using "ssh -D".
At my home end in France my second pi is set up as a wireless router. Using tun2sock or equivalent, I create a local tunnel connected to the remote UK pi socket. This gives my UK internet as wifi. So I can connect my tv across Chromecast and drive it with my android phone to watch the BBC, Netflix, YouTube.... As of I was on the UK. So no need for VPN, which the BBC is trying to block anyway. I hope this will be of general interest for all these expat s

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:32 am

julianlewis wrote: I hope this will be of general interest for all these expat s
It has been questioned as to if all of this is legal though. If it turns out it is not, this thread may well disappear........

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

Return to “General discussion”