donde

Show Off

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:48 pm

I live near a Big Mac. It has good wi-fi and many AC sockets. Lots come in with their laptops. I have a laptop and go there sometimes. I thought it would be cool to show the R-Pi to kids or anyone interested. Using a wi-fi dongle. It would ssh through to the laptop, and show the initial boot and GUI on the screen. Tried ssh just on local setup here at home, and just started getting the dongle on the R-Pi to work. How do I set up ssh at outside location?

redhawk

Re: Show Off

Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:44 pm

That might not be so easy since the IP address would be dynamically allocated by the wifi router.

Also don't these places require you to authenticate yourself with a username / password??

You could create a portable wifi hotspot my Android phone can be turned into a Wifi AP router with wpa2 encryption for sharing connections this too should be possible on most laptops (Ad Hoc) mode.

Richard S.

thrawed

Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:59 pm

You could always connect to the laptop via a 0.5m ethernet cable, I've done that with mine before.

obarthelemy

Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:01 am

Indeed, I would link the Pi to the Laptop via an ethernet cable an try to power it via the laptop's USB. Tack on a few flashing LED ^^

donde

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:46 am

I'm not following either of you. Why would need an HDMI monitor at home, just use my laptop screen? Could you please explain?

obarthelemy

Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:44 am

I'm not sure who talked about an HDMI monitor.

If you want to display the Pi's startup in a MacDo, you can

1- power the Pi fro your laptop's USB port (well, from *most* laptop's USB port, the Pi takes a bit more than the USB standard states, but so do USB hard disks, so most laptops can handle that)
2- SSH into the Pi via a Pi-to-Laptop wired ethernet connection, that way you don't have to mess with MacDo's Wifi
3- Connect some interactive hardware, like LEDs that you can make flash, to the Pi, to that the Pi is not just seen via a window on your laptop, but actually does something on its own.

Return to “General discussion”