Rellac

Will This PCB Board Be Compatible With the Pi?

Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:17 pm

I always wanted to learn a thing or two about electronics beyond simple circuits and leds that I have learned and the pi seems like a fantastic opportunity.

I decided to look into setting up a nice retropie build inside my old gameboy case. I was looking up a resource which was explaining a process with using a snes controller to add the additional keys (X, Y, L, R), and it specified that the stock snes pcb wasn't compatible with the pi, and if using one, you should obtain an off-brand controller.

There wasn't much explanation as why, other than "it's incompatible" and it got me thinking about any issues that may arise using the retro nes pads I have laying around to add my additional keys.

I wanted to reuse the pcb on this controller, as the controller is going to become fairly useless without the buttons I plan to extract from it (the L/R especially, seem to have a perfect shape to fit on the back just above the battery case and suits the design of the gameboy very nicely) and as such, it would be convenient if I could just reuse this pcb.

This is the controller I'm planning to use: http://www.amazon.co.uk/8Bitdo-Bluetoot ... B00MB6CNN8

Here are some images of the pcb:

Front

Back

The id on the back is V140220 if it is important, I seemed to have some trouble focusing my camera on the back for some reason.

afaik, the circuits on the top are merely for the bluetooth functionality with the device and if I'm hardwiring the buttons, I should be safe to cut the pcb up to be able to fit it into place, since the button spacing on the gameboy is vastly different to the button spacing on the controller

Thanks for any wisdom (:

Rellac

Re: Will This PCB Board Be Compatible With the Pi?

Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:46 pm

anybody? :(

Seems like a really fun project with a really fun result and I don't want to mess up too much

Heater

Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:06 pm

Your question is so confusing I have no idea.

One minute it's about learning some electronics. Which I think is a really good idea.

Next it's about snes controllers or whatever.

It's all too much.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Rellac

Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:16 pm

I'm sorry if it's a tad confusing, I'll try to clear it up.

Basically, the resource I was looking at mentioned an issue with stock snes controller pcb's not being compatible with the pi and off-brand ones being required for a pi hookup.

This made me wonder if there might be issues with my pcb, I'm not sure if I will have success. I've linked the controller itself and images of the pcb for any info that may be needed on my controller.

I'd also like to know if there is anything I'll need to keep in mind if I decide to cut up the pcb to keep it fitting in the gameboy case.

I'm waiting on some tools to arrive at the moment, so I've not had the chance to tinker, seemed smart to check it up in the meantime and see if I might need to order another pcb to save time.

klricks

Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:40 pm

Still not sure what you are trying to do?
The controller in your link is BT. Are you trying to use it with the RPi as a BT device?
If you are intending to hack the board and get the buttons to interface with the RPi in some other way, (GPIO?), then I don't see any possible (feasible) way to do that.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Rellac

Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:29 pm

I want to use the pcb to translate my buttons to the pi.

I have to connect A/B/X/Y/L/R/Start/Select/4 d-pad buttons to the pi. I figured that GPIO would be the best way to do that. I don't want to utilise bluetooth with it.

This is what I wanted to ask here for as I'm just now learning to use a pcb, I suppose I'll need to find another pcb? Any chance of some suggestions as to what I might want to use? When searching, I did find something like this, but it seems too big for my gameboy case and I'm hoping to fit it inside with the pi. I only need a 12 pin board, but I seem to be having trouble finding something smaller, which is why I was hoping to use my controller's built in pcb.

klricks

Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:18 am

Rellac wrote:I want to use the pcb to translate my buttons to the pi.

I have to connect A/B/X/Y/L/R/Start/Select/4 d-pad buttons to the pi. I figured that GPIO would be the best way to do that. I don't want to utilise bluetooth with it.

This is what I wanted to ask here for as I'm just now learning to use a pcb, I suppose I'll need to find another pcb? Any chance of some suggestions as to what I might want to use? When searching, I did find something like this, but it seems too big for my gameboy case and I'm hoping to fit it inside with the pi. I only need a 12 pin board, but I seem to be having trouble finding something smaller, which is why I was hoping to use my controller's built in pcb.
The buttons in the BT controller are not simple switches. They are 'soft' switches that are read by a micro controller chip on the pcb. It would be very difficult if not impossible to interface the controller to the RPi GPIO. You would need an 'old school' wired controller instead or USB controller if one exists.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

PiGraham

Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:36 am

You can connect switches to GPIO and use gpiokeys or other drivers to get key presses into our emulator.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=8842

You can also use a USB console controller, e.g. XBOX

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Se ... controller

Lots of hits on Google.

Rellac

Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:54 pm

Well, I've already setup a retropie system using physical controllers, I believe I have a good enough understanding on the software side of things, I'm just trying to teach myself a thing or two about the hardware.

I'm not entirely sure what would be a good pcb to use to manage to get the button presses that I need.

Here are the parts that I've extracted and plan to use: http://i.imgur.com/66MfjMY.jpg
  • on the left, are the triggers I plan to use - the pcb for this uses buttons that don't seem to be soft switches
    middle are the two buttons I've extracted (X and Y)
    on the right is the pad that was on the back of the buttons that is used to interact with the pcb.
I'd like to know what I would need to acquire to have these interact with the pi. Of course, I don't expect instant success, I would just like to know how I can get a pcb for the sake of me learning how to use a pcb and eventually how to make the project I have planned.

Perhaps I would need some push switches like These to get the task accomplished? Alongside a pcb or will they be fine on their own?

Thanks for help so far

klricks

Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:20 pm

If any of your switches are 'dome' or metal on metal switches then possibly they can be used.
If the switch contact is the rubberized resistive type then not likely.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:36 pm

Those new bluetooth controllers are not a good startingpoint, its far better to use a genuine NES controller, which you can still buy.
http://www.amazon.com/NES-Controller-Ge ... B000UCF9TA
with them you should be able to remove the chip inside, and wire the buttons to eight GPIO's (add 10K pullups to 3.3V).
Or you could write a daemon that reads out the serial shift register in the NES controller, just like a real NES does.

Rellac

Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:32 pm

Well I'm looking for a 12 pin pcb, hence I don't want an nes one (I plan to use it for snes games)

I mean, I could purchase a snes controller like This, but what exactly is stopping me from doing a process similar to This one with the controller that I have? Does it not detect each button press in the same way and output a basic signal, which is then sent to its cpu, where I replace the signal to be sent to a gpio pin instead?

(Either way, I plan to take buttons off this controller as I like the way they look and it should translate fairly easy to another controller, but it seems like I could save myself time by repurposing the pcb here?)

I'm not denying that I'm a pre-novice here, but it does seem very similar to my untrained eye and it would only help me in my quest for knowledge to know exactly what might be the issue here

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:02 am

the issue is that the traces to the contact pads are far too thin to solder wires too, and the pads themselves are carbon thus unsolder-able. On top of that you must also remove the micro controller, (the left IC) so it doesn't interfere with your use of the contacts. it just a question of practicality, theoretical it would be possible to use the PCB, in practice, not so much.

bucker

Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:30 am

I'm facing the same issue that OP does, trying to figure out how to wire a Wii U pad to my Rpi, the thing is:

http://i.imgur.com/8GnOOTQ.jpg

How can i wire this conductive strip to Rpi GPIO? i'm really lost. :|
Winning is for losers.

Pi Zero W (inside a Pikachu case ;) ) with DietPi running Sonarr,Couchpotato,Pi-hole,Pi-VPN
Pi B running Home Assistant
Pi 2B & HiFiBerry DAC+ running Volumio OS
Pi 3B (inside a genesis case 8-) ) running RetroPie
--

klricks

Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:22 am

bucker wrote:I'm facing the same issue that OP does, trying to figure out how to wire a Wii U pad to my Rpi, the thing is:

As mentioned several times already in this thread there is no feasible way to connect that type of switch to the RPi GPIO.

bucker

Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:31 am

What if i use a connector and solder every line of the strip to a wire that goes to the GPIO? (assuming each line on the strip is a pad button)
Winning is for losers.

Pi Zero W (inside a Pikachu case ;) ) with DietPi running Sonarr,Couchpotato,Pi-hole,Pi-VPN
--

BMS Doug

Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:25 am

bucker wrote:I'm facing the same issue that OP does, trying to figure out how to wire a Wii U pad to my Rpi, the thing is:

http://i.imgur.com/8GnOOTQ.jpg

you could try to find the correct connector for your flexible circuit board and solder your connections to that.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

bucker

Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:14 am

thanks for the link, actually i already have 2 connectors but its soldered to the gamepad's PCB, but i think i can manage to desolder or at least identify the right connectors and get new ones. So it could work the way i thought, guess i'll have to try and see. ;)
Winning is for losers.

--

Return to “General discussion”