stever29

9/10" screen - any real world opinions?

Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:41 am

Hello,

I need a 9/10" display for a project and have already bought an HDMIpi. Unfortunately it's not really appropriate for what I need it for - the viewing angle is pretty awful and the colour representation is fairly poor out the box (though after a lot of fiddling with the colour settings this is kinda ok now).

So my attention has been drawn to 2 options instead, the adafruit 10" IPS or the tontec 10" IPS. Does anyone have any experience with either of these displays? Particarly with regard to colour representation and viewing angle?

I'm partly swayed to the adafruit as they supply a pretty comprehensive data sheet with the viewing angle detailed but would like opinions as I don't want to make the same (expensive!) choice again.

Thanks
Steve

stever29

Re: 9/10" screen - any real world opinions?

Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:40 pm

Thought I'd come back and post an update incase it helps anyone else.

I bought the 10" adafruit IPS and I have to say it's multiples better than hdmipi, both in colour representation and in viewing angle. I couldn't be happier!

To give a balanced view the drawbacks of the adafruit are that it doesn't come with the Perspex case (which I didn't need) and the fact the driver board doesn't have a 5v out to power the pi (nothing a soldering iron won't sort).

I can't stress how much better this screen is. It cost me £100 vs the £75 for the hdmipi. Quite honestly this makes the hdmipi look expensive. It'd be fine for normal PC use, but for media it's a no contest.

Return to “General discussion”