StClark14

Please Help I'm New

Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:26 am

I just purchased the Raspberry pi 2 with the starter kit. What will be the first thing I have to do, In order to do Everything with my Raspberry Pi 2 in only C++ ?

Thank you

ame

Re: Please Help I'm New

Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:42 am

You already asked this question here:
viewtopic.php?p=819966#p819966

My first piece of advice is not to spam the forums.

My second piece of advice, and to answer your question, is that you'll need to plug everything in and boot it up. I don't know what your starter kit includes, but you'll need the Pi, a power supply, a micro SD card with the OS on it, a keyboard, a mouse, a display with HDMI input, an HDMI cable and optionally a network cable (and somewhere to connect it to).

Once you have everything working you can write C++ programs and compile and run them on the Pi.

StClark14

Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:46 am

I apologize about spamming, I'm just overly excited. So I don't need to download anything extra for C++? Because a guy I spoke with today, who teaches about Raspberry Pi's, said that you can only use Python on them and that to use C++ it would require downloading a different OS and an IDE which would take up a lot of memory. I'm just confused. Thank you so much for the help.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:48 am

Expanding slightly...
DVI-D input on monitors is compatible with HDMI, so if your monitor has DVI input, you'll need an HDMI to DVI cable. If all you have is VGA, it gets complicated.

You can program in pretty much any language you want. Typical starting languages are Scratch and Python. C and C++ are for people with more experience in programming. (Bear in mind that C was originally meant for writing operating systems and utility programs, NOT applications code.)

ame

Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:51 am

StClark14 wrote:I apologize about spamming, I'm just overly excited. So I don't need to download anything extra for C++? Because a guy I spoke with today, who teaches about Raspberry Pi's, said that you can only use Python on them and that to use C++ it would require downloading a different OS and an IDE which would take up a lot of memory. I'm just confused. Thank you so much for the help.
No worries. A lot of people view the "New Posts" view, so any message in any forum will pop up.

Assuming your starter kit comes with Raspbian OS you'll have everything you need:
http://www.element14.com/community/comm ... spberry-pi
Last edited by ame on Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:41 am

StClark14 wrote:I apologize about spamming, I'm just overly excited. So I don't need to download anything extra for C++? Because a guy I spoke with today, who teaches about Raspberry Pi's, said that you can only use Python on them and that to use C++ it would require downloading a different OS and an IDE which would take up a lot of memory. I'm just confused. Thank you so much for the help.
I think your friend? instructor? could use some instruction himself. The most common OS used on Raspberry Pis is Raspbian. It is a full Linux OS. It may not have *every* common program on it that one might expect (I always add "units"), but it's pretty complete when it comes to what one would expect on a Linux system. C/C++ compiler is part of the default install. It's only when you get to less commonly used languages, such as FORTRAN or COBOL, that you're going to have to install them on your own, and even then, it's really very easy.

metalj

Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:21 am

Hi. My nephew turned me on to this ide. It looks great but I haven't tested it. Hope it helps you.

https://youtu.be/p17i1nO-AG8

http://store.raspberrypi.com/projects/codeblocks
Backspace 28 times :)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:52 am

Worth noting, you don't NEED an IDE to do C++ (insert favourite language here) development - a simple editor will do the job! An IDE just makes things a bit easier.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:09 pm

http://www.suntimebox.com/raspberry-pi- ... ogramming/ looks like a reasonable starting point.

Where you go on to depends heavilly on what you want to do. You can do pretty much everything from c++ but you will typically find less documentation available and what documentation you do find will be less beginner-focused than the stuff for python.

Return to “General discussion”