donde

Reset pin?

Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:45 pm

Logging in as root, I notice a couple of points. If one chooses Shutdown, and the monitor shows "no signal", which is correct. Too bad no reset pin on P1 to restart. Also, does current consumption drop to lowest in Shutdown? If so, this seems the only purpose for it. One still has to unplug and plug back in to restart.

leon_heller

Re: Reset pin?

Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:04 pm

Shutdown prevents corruption of the SD card which can occur if one simply unplugs the supply.
Leon Heller
G1HSM

donde

Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:09 pm

OK.
Why no Shutdown option for a regular user? It just has Logout and Cancel.

jojopi

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:13 pm

"sudo shutdown -h -H now" will shut down to a more useful state, where you can still press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot.

There is a (not) reset pin, but it is not very exposed. Tap a 3K3 resistor between TP2 (ground) and the SoC end of R15. This works even in the new halt state. (The resistor is just to avoid shorting the 3V3 rail if you hit the wrong end. Anything from 1K to 33K will be fine.)

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:26 pm

donde wrote:OK.
Why no Shutdown option for a regular user? It just has Logout and Cancel.
Linux is a multi-user system and you don't want just anybody shutting down the system do you?
Of course, on a single user implementation it doesn't seem to make sense. But as pi you can

sudo halt
sudo shutdown -h now

sudo reboot
sudo shutdown -r now

Or are you talking about in LXDE? In which case all of the above still apply, but you'd have to open an LXterminal window first. :D

Since a couple of weeks ago, shutdown does reduce the power consumption from about 2 watts at idle to about half a watt.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

donde

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:04 pm

There is a (not) reset pin, but it is not very exposed. Tap a 3K3 resistor between TP2 (ground) and the SoC end of R15. This works even in the new halt state. (The resistor is just to avoid shorting the 3V3 rail if you hit the wrong end. Anything from 1K to 33K will be fine.)

Thanks Sir, for all the good reasons and info. Hey, I'm starting to like this "Raspbi" on Midori. Before, when super slow, I had to do Forum on Mint Debian ;)

avra

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:03 am

Hey, I'm starting to like this "Raspbi" on Midori. Before, when super slow, I had to do Forum on Mint Debian ;)
Check the amount of memory reserved for GPU and set it to some low value like 16. LXDE applications will fly, especially on 256MB model! This GPU trick will work if you do not run applications which use much GPU memory and OpenGL ES (like XBMC and few games do). You can also try not to use more then one or two tabs.

Return to “General discussion”