kusti8

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:09 pm

Yeah I've seen this. I have no idea what is causing this and I have limited time. I don't know if I want to continue with it. I can rework the script a little, but not till this weekend and maybe the next one.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

jakky567

Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:12 pm

Could there be a post for changelogs perhaps? Full screen video does not seem to be accelerated.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:09 pm

DELETED IRRELEVENT REPLY
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired disgracefully.....

kusti8

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:06 pm

jakky567 wrote:Could there be a post for changelogs perhaps? Full screen video does not seem to be accelerated.
It is accelerated, it's just a bit choppy because, well, it's full screen.

gkreidl

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:59 pm

kusti8 wrote:
jakky567 wrote:Could there be a post for changelogs perhaps? Full screen video does not seem to be accelerated.
A bit choppy? Which screen size do you have?
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:04 pm

kusti8 wrote:
Yes, video decode is fast. Composition of the video with whatever web controls are present by Chromium is the bottleneck.
It doesn't really matter if source video is SD or HD, its the destination window size that affects performance.

Work is continuing on this, but the path from decoded pixels to screen with Chromium is long and complicated...

kusti8

Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:27 pm

gkreidl wrote:
kusti8 wrote:
A bit choppy? Which screen size do you have?
1080p. I can still watch it, but it freezes every 5 seconds a little. Cinematic mode works fine.

jakky567

Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:07 pm

dom wrote:
kusti8 wrote:
Yes, video decode is fast. Composition of the video with whatever web controls are present by Chromium is the bottleneck.
It doesn't really matter if source video is SD or HD, its the destination window size that affects performance.

Work is continuing on this, but the path from decoded pixels to screen with Chromium is long and complicated...
Thank you very much for the explanation.

markmark

Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:25 pm

Many thanks for the effort!
This is what it does:
-by clicking on the button in chromium the YT-playback pauses and nothing else happens
-"omxplayergui ytdl [url]" starts omxplayerGUI and plays the video
Same issue here. Error-Message:

ERROR:native_process_launcher.cc(137) Can't find manifest for native messaging host run_omx

Manifest is as expected in /etc/chromium-browser/native-massaging-hosts/

Will do further investigation. But due to my lack in experience, don't expect too much.

Rgrds,

Mark

gkreidl

Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:02 pm

markmark wrote:Many thanks for the effort!
This is what it does:
-by clicking on the button in chromium the YT-playback pauses and nothing else happens
-"omxplayergui ytdl [url]" starts omxplayerGUI and plays the video
Same issue here. Error-Message:

ERROR:native_process_launcher.cc(137) Can't find manifest for native messaging host run_omx

Manifest is as expected in /etc/chromium-browser/native-massaging-hosts/

Will do further investigation. But due to my lack in experience, don't expect too much.

Rgrds,

Mark
kusti8's extension is currently broken. For a replacement (though less elegant) see here: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=163018&p=1054095#p1054095
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

markmark

Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:50 pm

@gkreidl

>kusti8's extension is currently broken.

OK, thanks for clarifying this.

>For a replacement (though less elegant) see here: view ... 5#p1054095

This is exactly what I was looking for. I really apprechiate this. I already checked out kweb before. Your docs are the best I have seen for years.

Rgrds,

Mark

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:11 pm

Off-topic troubleshooting split to viewtopic.php?f=28&t=163864&p=1058748

abfalleimer

Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:18 am

Hi everyone,

I did a fresh Raspian install on a new SD-Card today and ran into the same problems! After running all the install steps the mouse-click on the plugin/extension paused the video...but nothing happened afterwards.

The problem is caused by the newer 51er Chromium versions! ( Why ??? I don't know! If I find some time I will look a little deeper )

The latest working Chromium version is 51.0.2704.79-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1121

Luckily this working Chromium version is also avaible in kusti8's repository! So if downgrading to the lower/older Chromium version is on option for you then simply deinstall the current Chromium version and install the older one, or wait for a fix.

1. Delete the installed Chromium-Browser

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge chromium-browser chromium-browser-l10n chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra
If you already ran kusti8 install.sh script then also delete the following directories

sudo rm -rf /etc/chromium-browser
sudo rm -rf /usr/lib/chromium-browser
Keep in mind that the next step will delete all your Chromium settings! I'm not sure if this step is needed... I did it.

rm -rf ~/.config/chromium
2. Install the older Chromium version, make sure that kusti8's repository is already inside your /etc/apt/sources.list!

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install chromium-browser=51.0.2704.79-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1121 chromium-browser-l10n=51.0.2704.79-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1121 chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra=51.0.2704.79-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1121
3. Follow the Install-Instructions on kusti8 Github

git clone https://github.com/kusti8/RPi-chromium
IMPORTANT
But edit the install.sh file inside the RPi-chromium folder befor you execute it! Otherwise kusti8's install.sh will install the latest Chromium-Browser version which did not work with the plugin.

Simply delete the "chromium-browser" entries in Line 3 and 8 ( it depends on what you did / install before but it is absolutely OK to delete both entries )

The install.sh script should look like this afterwards:

if grep -q "http://dl.bintray.com/kusti8/chromium-rpi" /etc/apt/sources.list; then
  sudo apt-get update
  #sudo apt-get install chromium-browser kweb -y  //Delete the chromium-browser entry
  sudo apt-get install kweb -y
else
  wget -qO - http://bintray.com/user/downloadSubjectPublicKey?username=bintray | sudo apt-key add -
  echo "deb http://dl.bintray.com/kusti8/chromium-rpi jessie main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
  sudo apt-get update
  #sudo apt-get install chromium-browser kweb -y  //Delete the chromium-browser entry
  sudo apt-get install kweb -y
fi  
sudo cp native/run_omxplayer.py /usr/bin/
sudo cp native/start_ytdl_server.sh /usr/bin
sudo mkdir /etc/chromium-browser/native-messaging-hosts
sudo cp native/run_omx.json /etc/chromium-browser/native-messaging-hosts/

# You can also comment out the following 2 lines... 
#chromium-browser chrome://extensions &
#sudo leafpad /etc/chromium-browser/native-messaging-hosts/run_omx.json
4. Then run the install.sh.

5. Problem solved... now everything should work as expected! At least for me these steps does the trick :D

Excuse my bad english... bye Abfalleimer

piuser72

Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:23 am

The latest working Chromium version is 51.0.2704.79-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1121

Luckily this working Chromium version is also avaible in kusti8's repository! So if downgrading to the lower/older Chromium version is on option for you then simply deinstall the current Chromium version and install the older one, or wait for a fix.
This may be a bad idea. This version (and the older ones by kusti8 as well, e.g., v48; v49; v50), have all had their credential/authentication API keys revoked/disabled by Google.

Try logging into the browser and see what happens.

I myself have managed to get the newer chromium browser (51.0.2704.91) working just fine, and with only slight/minimal issues with Youtube playback. I installed chromium standalone, and then manually installed flash 23 (23.0.0.205). This is what I used. My experience may not be typical though, as I run a custom performance version of Raspbian, that is for multimedia use, and is significantly faster than normal Raspbian/PIXEL (just Google 'pi 3 performance image').

I don't install rpi-chromium-mods at all.

Updating apps and kernel seems to also help with some of the chromium issues.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
Last edited by piuser72 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:52 am, edited 6 times in total.

kusti8

Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:31 am

The rpi-youtube plugin does not work. See here for a workaround:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=163018

abfalleimer

Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:17 pm

piuser72 wrote: This may be a bad idea. This version (and the older ones by kusti8 as well, e.g., v48; v49; v50), have all had their credential/authentication API keys revoked/disabled by Google.

Hi piuser72,
could you be a little bit more precise ? What do you mean with "credential/authentication API keys revoked/disabled" ?

Could you give me an example of what should not work with the older Chromium version ?

For me the older 51.0.2704.79-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1121 version works fine... no problems so far! I installed the RPi-youtube plugin from the webstore, no problems! Can surf to any website without any troubles :?

bye Abfalleimer

kusti8

Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:20 pm

abfalleimer wrote:
piuser72 wrote: This may be a bad idea. This version (and the older ones by kusti8 as well, e.g., v48; v49; v50), have all had their credential/authentication API keys revoked/disabled by Google.

Hi piuser72,
could you be a little bit more precise ? What do you mean with "credential/authentication API keys revoked/disabled" ?

Could you give me an example of what should not work with the older Chromium version ?

For me the older 51.0.2704.79-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1121 version works fine... no problems so far! I installed the RPi-youtube plugin from the webstore, no problems! Can surf to any website without any troubles :?

bye Abfalleimer
It should work fine with the API keys there now. There's a workaround that I linked to if you want to use the latest supported Chromium.

abfalleimer

Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:06 pm

kusti8 wrote: It should work fine with the API keys there now. There's a workaround that I linked to if you want to use the latest supported Chromium.
Ok thanks for the reply kusti8, I already saw the workaround link! For now I'm fine with my solution.

Do you plan to fix / update your extension to work with the latest Chromium-Browser ?

bye Abfalleimer

kusti8

Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:45 pm

abfalleimer wrote:
kusti8 wrote: It should work fine with the API keys there now. There's a workaround that I linked to if you want to use the latest supported Chromium.
Ok thanks for the reply kusti8, I already saw the workaround link! For now I'm fine with my solution.

Do you plan to fix / update your extension to work with the latest Chromium-Browser ?

bye Abfalleimer
No I don't plan to fix it. I've moved onto other projects and I can't figure out why this won't work.

abfalleimer

Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:29 pm

kusti8 wrote: No I don't plan to fix it. I've moved onto other projects and I can't figure out why this won't work.
Sad to hear that kusti8... but after looking a little bit into your complete source code ( chrome extension, run_omx.json plus all the other components ), I can understand your decision.
Your solution is quite complex :shock:

I tried a different approach today:

1. A simple chrome-extension that converts all "watch?v=" links inside the current tab after clicking, from http to a custom protocol called "omx"
2. Then the only thing you have to do is register this custom omx protocol inside Raspian
3. Now whenever you click on this omx Video Links a shell script is triggered receiving the URL of the clicked video and starts your "start_ytdl_server.sh" and run the "omxplayergui.py ytdl URL" command to play the video!

A little bit easier and far less lines of source code...

I will do some further testing... but looks very promising and working fine so far ( no problems with the latest chromium version ) ! Just need to put all things together and write an install script.

Maybe I should fork your project ?

bye Abfalleimer
Last edited by abfalleimer on Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gkreidl

Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:31 pm

abfalleimer wrote:
kusti8 wrote: No I don't plan to fix it. I've moved onto other projects and I can't figure out why this won't work.
Sad to hear that kusti8... but after looking a little bit into your complete source code ( chrome extension, run_omx.json plus all the other components ), I can understand your decision.
Your solution is quite complex :shock:

I tried a different approach today:

1. A simple chrome-extension that converts all "watch?v=" links inside the current tab after clicking, from http to a custom protocol called "omx"
2. Then the only thing you have to do is register this custom omx protocol inside Raspian
3. Now whenever you click on this omx Video Links a shell script is triggered receiving the URL of the clicked video and starts your "start_ytdl_server.sh" and run the "omxplayergui.py ytdl URL" command to play the video!

A little bit easier and far less lines of source code...

I will do some further testing... but looks very promising and working fine so far! Just need to put all things together and write an install script.

Maybe I should fork your project ?

bye Abfalleimer
This only works for youtube, not for the other 600+ supported websites.

abfalleimer

Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:53 pm

gkreidl wrote: This only works for youtube, not for the other 600+ supported websites.
Hi gkreidl,
yes like kusti8's extension too,
but it should not be too hard to get this working "for the other 600+ supported websites" ;)

Just one 600+ big array of video-website-url's and the corresponding "video-links identifiers", as long as the video websites don't use "tricky tricks" to deliver the video links... everything is possible.

Is there a link to the "600+ websites" ?

bye Abfalleimer

gkreidl

Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:04 pm

abfalleimer wrote:
gkreidl wrote: This only works for youtube, not for the other 600+ supported websites.
Hi gkreidl,
yes like kusti8's extension too,
but it should not be too hard to get this working "for the other 600+ supported websites" ;)

Just one 600+ big array of video-website-url's and the corresponding "video-links identifiers", as long as the video websites don't use "tricky tricks" to deliver the video links... everything is possible.

Is there a link to the "600+ websites" ?

bye Abfalleimer
They are changing their methods all the time and they are using dirty tricks. youtube-dl has to adapt to the changes all the time. This will become an endless job for you - as it is for the youtube-dl team.
My user script solution doesn't require any changes at all. The only thing you have to do is start ytdl-server manually (or use a script that does it when chromium is started and stops it again afterwards).
youtube-dl has a link to supported websites.

abfalleimer

Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:05 pm

Guenter what was your real intention with this reply ?

Nothing constructive as it turns out...
gkreidl wrote: They are changing their methods all the time and they are using dirty tricks. youtube-dl has to adapt to the changes all the time. This will become an endless job for you - as it is for the youtube-dl team.
My user script solution doesn't require any changes at all. The only thing you have to do is start ytdl-server manually (or use a script that does it when chromium is started and stops it again afterwards).
are you angry that many use your OmxplayerGUI and not your whole "KIOSK" ? Should I write an OmxplayerGUI myself ? is that what you really want and fearing to say! I don't get the point.

bye Abfalleimer

kusti8

Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:44 pm

abfalleimer wrote:
Guenter what was your real intention with this reply ?

Nothing constructive as it turns out...
gkreidl wrote: They are changing their methods all the time and they are using dirty tricks. youtube-dl has to adapt to the changes all the time. This will become an endless job for you - as it is for the youtube-dl team.
are you angry that many use your OmxplayerGUI and not your whole "KIOSK" ? Should I write an OmxplayerGUI myself ? is that what you really want and fearing to say! I don't get the point.

bye Abfalleimer
Where did you get that? He's saying that it would only work for YouTube, while my extension used to do hundreds of websites and gkreidl's workaround does do hundreds. There is no real way you could do this other than making a button for an extension and then adding omx://. You cannot maintain a list of the supported websites because they constantly change, you just have to do what the user asks.

Return to “General discussion”