Dis93

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:56 pm

Thanks, kusti8, that fixed it.

Dr1Agon

Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:05 am

just recently did an update/upgrade, everything went well, chromium is still working, but when I want to watch something on youtube I get no sound via the RPi-youtube/omxplayerGUI, sound works normally anywhere else, just not there!

any help would be greatly appreciated!

gkreidl

Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:02 pm

Dr1Agon wrote:just recently did an update/upgrade, everything went well, chromium is still working, but when I want to watch something on youtube I get no sound via the RPi-youtube/omxplayerGUI, sound works normally anywhere else, just not there!

any help would be greatly appreciated!
HDMI or analog audio?
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Dr1Agon

Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Oops!

Sorry should have put that in;

Analog

Thanks

gkreidl

Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:54 am

Dr1Agon wrote:Oops!

Sorry should have put that in;

Analog

Thanks
Select the "analogaudio" preset (open omxplayerGUI frontend, click on "Settings", then click the preset button).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

gambrogi

Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:18 am

I tried to install Chromium 45, 48 and 51, via wget/dpkg or via ppa/apt-get install and all the installations gives me an chromium-browser that crashes with the only message illegal instruction, and no more messages. Just Illegal Instruction. :cry:
I have an RPi2 with Jessie and uname -a retrieves:

Code: Select all

Linux raspberrypi 4.4.20+ #909 Tue Sep 13 16:41:32 BST 2016 armv6l GNU/Linux
I read this thread and tried all the answers that gives a different installation.
Any can help me? Which is the problem? Thanks.

Dr1Agon

Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:14 am

Thanks!, that's solved it!...

although i'm pretty sure i already tried that before posting without success, must not have...

oh well, working now!

kusti8

Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:04 am

gambrogi wrote:I tried to install Chromium 45, 48 and 51, via wget/dpkg or via ppa/apt-get install and all the installations gives me an chromium-browser that crashes with the only message illegal instruction, and no more messages. Just Illegal Instruction. :cry:
I have an RPi2 with Jessie and uname -a retrieves:

Code: Select all

Linux raspberrypi 4.4.20+ #909 Tue Sep 13 16:41:32 BST 2016 armv6l GNU/Linux
I read this thread and tried all the answers that gives a different installation.
Any can help me? Which is the problem? Thanks.
That is not a Pi2. There is an experimental version linked in the first post you can try.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Icestar65

Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:25 pm

Hi there, I am running into a strange issue with Chromium 51 running on Jessie. I run a dashboard with a tab-cycling plugin and after a few days, the browser will start to crash and cannot be reopened. When I try to reopen Chromium from the terminal, I get a "Segmentation Fault" and it does not open.

When I reboot the system, the browser will be able to start up again for a few hours, but it will ultimately crash again with Segmentation Fault until another restart. What is puzzling is that it runs stable for a few days until the first crash, and then it will crash much faster afterwards.

I've tried --disable-gpu, --no-sandbox, and --disable-pinch all to which does not resolve the issue. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

kusti8

Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:28 pm

Icestar65 wrote:Hi there, I am running into a strange issue with Chromium 51 running on Jessie. I run a dashboard with a tab-cycling plugin and after a few days, the browser will start to crash and cannot be reopened. When I try to reopen Chromium from the terminal, I get a "Segmentation Fault" and it does not open.

When I reboot the system, the browser will be able to start up again for a few hours, but it will ultimately crash again with Segmentation Fault until another restart. What is puzzling is that it runs stable for a few days until the first crash, and then it will crash much faster afterwards.

I've tried --disable-gpu, --no-sandbox, and --disable-pinch all to which does not resolve the issue. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Is segmentation fault all that is printed? Can you add --enable-logging=stderr -v=1
To get all the logs.

Icestar65

Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:23 pm

kusti8 wrote:
Icestar65 wrote:Hi there, I am running into a strange issue with Chromium 51 running on Jessie. I run a dashboard with a tab-cycling plugin and after a few days, the browser will start to crash and cannot be reopened. When I try to reopen Chromium from the terminal, I get a "Segmentation Fault" and it does not open.

Is segmentation fault all that is printed? Can you add --enable-logging=stderr -v=1
To get all the logs.
Thanks for your reply, the error occurred again today and from the terminal I tried the logging command but I still only get Segmentation Fault. Is there any other way to gather the logs?

[email protected]:/var/log $ chromium-browser --enable-logging=stderr --v=1
Segmentation fault

Thanks!

kusti8

Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:31 pm

That's weird. I would try reinstalling a test image and see if it still works. Chromium does have issues with staying open for a few days just because it uses so much RAM, but it shouldn't cause a segmentation fault.

Icestar65

Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:24 pm

kusti8 wrote:That's weird. I would try reinstalling a test image and see if it still works. Chromium does have issues with staying open for a few days just because it uses so much RAM, but it shouldn't cause a segmentation fault.
Sure thing, Ill try to install one of the Chromium test builds, I'm not too familiar with this, how would I be able to do that? Is it from apt-get? I see versions 51 to 45 in there. Thanks!

kusti8

Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:25 pm

Icestar65 wrote:
kusti8 wrote:That's weird. I would try reinstalling a test image and see if it still works. Chromium does have issues with staying open for a few days just because it uses so much RAM, but it shouldn't cause a segmentation fault.
Sure thing, Ill try to install one of the Chromium test builds, I'm not too familiar with this, how would I be able to do that? Is it from apt-get? I see versions 51 to 45 in there. Thanks!
No, just do the instructions at the top. The experimental builds will make no difference here.

jakky567

Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:44 pm

Hi, I've been using your browser and I'm having issues signing in with chrome sync (I use it for cloudprint a lot)

kusti8

Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:46 pm

jakky567 wrote:Hi, I've been using your browser and I'm having issues signing in with chrome sync (I use it for cloudprint a lot)
You need to give way more info. What is the error and what are the issues and are you sure your network works right?

jakky567

Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:35 am

The chrome sync sign in under settings is stating it cannot sign in, and to try again later. I'm not having issues with any other device. I'd rather use chromium because it handles network loss and reboots with grace.

jakky567

Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:36 am

Unfortunately my network is running perfectly.

Dis93

Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:27 am

With a version of Chromium being added to the official distro, what will happen to your Chromium project?
I haven't added the 'official' Chromium but I notice on screenshots that the 'official' version has a blue topbar inherited from the new Pixel desktop.

I'm also getting the sync failure triangle icon on my Chromium, despite signing in again.

kusti8

Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:09 am

Dis93 wrote:With a version of Chromium being added to the official distro, what will happen to your Chromium project?
I haven't added the 'official' Chromium but I notice on screenshots that the 'official' version has a blue topbar inherited from the new Pixel desktop.

I'm also getting the sync failure triangle icon on my Chromium, despite signing in again.
This chromium project I'm going to let die. I'm still working with the RPF to add some fixes to their version of Chromium.

Does the version in the official repos work with sync?

Dis93

Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:25 am

Understandable, kusti8.
Thank you for your work on this project, it made my Pi experience on the 'net much better.
I'll uninstall your Chromium and try the official one, then see if the sync issue is resolved.

cjan

Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:21 am

how to install official chromium?

kusti8

Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:22 am

cjan wrote:how to install official chromium?
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install chromium-browser

cjan

Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:41 am

kusti8 wrote:
cjan wrote:how to install official chromium?
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install chromium-browser
O..p, found official=51-Beta, why not .7001 OMG.

jakky567

Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:56 pm

Thank you very much for chromium on the pi's. It really is a very solid browser, plus, as a cloudprint solution, is slightly more robust than the headless options.

Return to “General discussion”