Tichun

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:54 am

Installing python-tk made rpi-youtue work.
How do I change omxplayergui to omxplayer and select (default) video quality?

What is the name of the script that runs when rpi-youtube extension button is pressed?
I'd keybind it in dwm.

I appreciate your work! Thank you
Last edited by Tichun on Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

kusti8

Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:22 am

Tichun wrote:Installing python-tk made rpi-youtue work.
How do I change omxplayergui to omxplayer and select (default) video quality?
It only uses OmxplayerGUI and the quality is automatically the best. You can set the window size at the bottom right.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Tichun

Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:33 am

It only uses OmxplayerGUI and the quality is automatically the best. You can set the window size at the bottom right.
I assume it is defined in source code and to change it I would need to change line with omxplayergui to omxplayer and youtube-dl's -f part, although I don't know where to look for the source (on my pi)
(need the lowest quality to watch under data cap)
Last edited by Tichun on Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

kusti8

Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:34 am

Tichun wrote:
I assume it is defined in source code and to change it I would need to change line with omxplayergui to omxplayer and youtube-dl's -f part, although I don't know where to look for the source (on my pi)
Yes, but OmxplayerGUI does the youtube dl part as well. You can do it, but I switched to OmxplayerGUI because omxplayer is temperamental and OmxplayerGUI already works.

gkreidl

Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:41 am

kusti8 wrote:
Tichun wrote:
Yes, but OmxplayerGUI does the youtube dl part as well. You can do it, but I switched to OmxplayerGUI because omxplayer is temperamental and OmxplayerGUI already works.
You can select the "nogui" preset. Then omxplayerGUi will run omxplayer within a terminal (no other gui used). This will give you keyboard controls exactly the same way as when starting omxplayer manually from a terminal. For best results you should install xterm (but also works with lxterminal).
omxplayerGUI is still needed, as it extracts the video URLs before starting the player.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Tichun

Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:28 pm

Found kwebhelper_settings.py which helped me with removing gui but youtube_dl_options seem ignored (I set it to '-f','17' which is 144p but video is like 1080p)

gkreidl

Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:12 pm

Tichun wrote:Found kwebhelper_settings.py which helped me with removing gui but youtube_dl_options seem ignored (I set it to '-f','17' which is 144p but video is like 1080p)
1080p video from youtube cannot be played with omxplayer, because audio and video streams are separate streams and must be remuxed (youtube-dl can do this using additional software when after download, but omxplayerGUI doesn't download anything). The defualt settings is "-f best", which gets the best video quality served in one stream (usually 720p on youtube).
It's better not to modify kwebhelper_settings.py directly but to use the settings page ( either from kweb or by clicking "Settings" on the omxplayerGUI frontend). This will not only modify the settings but also recreate the settings page.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

Tichun

Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:17 pm

Thanks, it works if set through kweb

GekkePrutser

Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:18 pm

Is there no pi 1 build for Chromium anywhere?? I thought this pi I'm working on was a Pi 2, lol... Guess I'm out of those. It turned out to be a B+

It's just annoying because Chrome has such an excellent kiosk mode that just shows the web page and nothing else at all, kweb has all these annoying control bars.

I'll try to compile it then... But I'm not looking forward to finding gazillions of dependencies.

kusti8

Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:20 pm

GekkePrutser wrote:Is there no pi 1 build for Chromium anywhere?? I thought this pi I'm working on was a Pi 2, lol... Guess I'm out of those. It turned out to be a B+

It's just annoying because Chrome has such an excellent kiosk mode that just shows the web page and nothing else at all, kweb has all these annoying control bars.

I'll try to compile it then... But I'm not looking forward to finding gazillions of dependencies.
Look at the first post and there is a link to an experimental build for Chromium. You need a separate patch to get it to compile for ARMv6.

If that works mostly, I may replace this version with that.

gkreidl

Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:28 pm

GekkePrutser wrote:... kweb has all these annoying control bars.
This is nonsense. kweb has supported kiosk mode since version 1.0, which means: no control elements and no window elements at all.

GekkePrutser

Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:04 pm

gkreidl wrote:
GekkePrutser wrote:... kweb has all these annoying control bars.
This is nonsense. kweb has supported kiosk mode since version 1.0, which means: no control elements and no window elements at all.
Ah yes you're right, sorry!

I just couldn't find any command-line options (like the --kiosk for chromium) so I thought it wasn't there. But I found it in the settings, sorry.

I was just a bit annoyed because I have made several GUIs based on Chromium in the past and suddenly since I updated to the Jessie image it doesn't work anymore :)

Edit: I also found the javascript setting, it works great now! Thanks! And faster than Chromium.

GekkePrutser

Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:28 pm

kusti8 wrote:Look at the first post and there is a link to an experimental build for Chromium. You need a separate patch to get it to compile for ARMv6.

Ah, nice! I hadn't spotted that. I'll try that also. Thanks for your work on it!

Strange that a patch is needed, it worked on wheezy before (I was always using it). Is that for the new hardware acceleration? I have to say that would be very nice to have. Even my project I needed it for now is using a camera (MJPEG right now but h.264 would be way better)

kusti8

Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:07 pm

GekkePrutser wrote:
kusti8 wrote:Look at the first post and there is a link to an experimental build for Chromium. You need a separate patch to get it to compile for ARMv6.

Ah, nice! I hadn't spotted that. I'll try that also. Thanks for your work on it!

Strange that a patch is needed, it worked on wheezy before (I was always using it). Is that for the new hardware acceleration? I have to say that would be very nice to have. Even my project I needed it for now is using a camera (MJPEG right now but h.264 would be way better)
Small things like requirements of thumb and requesting ARMv7 in the source have been introduced which weren't there in v22 and even Wheezy needed a few patches to make it work.

lumsdot

Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:43 am

I'm now on version 51, but could not get the Chrome youtube-dl launcher to work.

So instead i have installed xsel apt-get install xsel
Xsel can pass the value of the clipboard to a script

i.e. script below will a play video link currently in the clipboard at best resolution

YT_LINK=`xsel`
omxplayergui --preset=default ytdl $YT_LINK

In Omxplayergui setup in Kweb, you can change the settings and default the resolution to a lower setting ie -f 18
and save that as another preset, i.e. call it youtubeLow

then you can have another script to play videos at low resolution

YT_LINK=`xsel`
omxplayergui --preset=youtubeLow ytdl $YT_LINK

I have 2 shortcuts for each of the above scripts on my desktop,
so can play youtube videos from any web brower (just need to copy link into clipboard and run shortcut)

think i will create another script as below which will download the video

i.e. to download 720p video

YT_LINK=`xsel`
youtube-dl -f 22 $YT_LINK

gkreidl

Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:56 pm

In the first beta of HW accelerated chromium-browser rpi-youtube did still work.
I cannot test it with the new version because I didn't run rpi-update (I need to keep a stable system) and without it chromium doesn't work at all.
The script solution described above of course should work, but will be slower to start, as it doesn't use the youtube-dl-server. There are two faster possibilities:
1) Run omxplayerGUI frontent, copy the URL into the text field and click "Extract"
2) Start youtube-dl-server manually and open it in a browser tab: localhost:99192/
Copy and paste the URL of the video page into the first text field and click "Extract & Play"

lumsdot

Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:10 pm

Another soultion would be to have a script constantly running in background which checks if the clipboard contains a youtube link, if it does it then pops up a dropdown box asking how you want to play the video i.e 1: 720p 2: 480p 3: Download. Etc

The problem with the existinng soultions , they make it very hard to select a resolution. Which is a problem if you broad band is slow

Ben_is_best

Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:12 pm

I installed Chromium 52 from here and it's working well (I'm typing this on it). Maybe you should compile it?
Last edited by Ben_is_best on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kradams

Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:45 pm

kusti8 wrote:Here's a quick guide for anyone wanting a updated Chromium with Chrome Web Store support on plain Raspbian.
THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO GET CHROMIUM ON JESSIE!

THIS WILL ONLY WORK ON A Pi2 AND PI3!

BETA ARMv6 and HW Video support: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=157049&p=1023466

1. Install and configure Raspbian. There are plenty of guides on how to do this.

A more detailed intro to RPi-youtube

2. Add the Chromium repository and install the software ANSWER Y TO ALL QUESTIONS!:

Code: Select all

wget -qO - http://bintray.com/user/downloadSubjectPublicKey?username=bintray | sudo apt-key add -
echo "deb http://dl.bintray.com/kusti8/chromium-rpi jessie main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install chromium-browser rpi-youtube -y

You should have Chromium 51 and RPi-youtube now installed! Simply install the extension from the Chrome web store (rpi-youtube) and click on the icon whenever you want smoother video viewing, on any supported website.

Flash support: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=99202

RPi-youtube, view youtube locally (much smoother)
http://kusti8.github.io/RPi-chromium/
I've released a Chromium extension for the RPi that allows you to play youtube videos in omxplayer, allowing much smoother playback.
Currently, when you install the extension and all the required files, when you visit a youtube video it will prompt you if you want to view the video locally. If you visit another video site and click on the icon, the same should happen, support more than 600 websites. After pressing OK and waiting a few seconds, omxplayerGUI will pop up displaying the video. It's as simple as that!
Supported sites
http://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/supportedsites.html:

Any problems, please post them here on this thread. It's the best place where I can reply.
I issued all of these commands in the Terminal window, now have an entry under "Internet" called Chromium web browser, but when I click on it I get the "working" icon for a few seconds and then nothing. Any thoughts as to what has has happened or not happened? This is a Pi3 using the Raspbian Jessie that NOOBS installed on first boot. Many thanks.

Dis93

Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:49 am

kradams wrote:... but when I click on it I get the "working" icon for a few seconds and then nothing...
I'm getting the same behaviour. It was working, now it doesn't even register as a running/launching process.
Re-install didn't help.

kusti8

Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:59 am

What does chromium-browser say on the terminal?

Dis93

Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:43 pm

Top in terminal doesn't even register the attempt at launching Chromium.

~ $ chromium-browser
/usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser: undefined symbol: mmal_vc_init_fd
Last edited by Dis93 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kusti8

Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:44 pm

Dis93 wrote:Top in terminal doesn't even register the attempt at launching Chromium.
No, what does it say when you enter:
chromium-browser
Into the terminal?

Dis93

Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:49 pm

Yeah, figured you meant that after I posted reply, now edited.

kusti8

Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:50 pm

Dis93 wrote:Top in terminal doesn't even register the attempt at launching Chromium.

~ $ chromium-browser
/usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser: undefined symbol: mmal_vc_init_fd
That's because you're using the dev branch. You need to do a rpi-update.

Return to “General discussion”