coloop
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:55 am
Location: iran
Contact: Website

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:12 am

There is some lag in sliding with chromium.
when i open pages which have full screen slider in it,i cant see smooth sliding !
in other side,cpu doesnt use its full power !

any idea ?

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3439
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:44 am

coloop wrote:There is some lag in sliding with chromium.
when i open pages which have full screen slider in it,i cant see smooth sliding !
in other side,cpu doesnt use its full power !

any idea ?
I have no idea what you are saying. Can you explain more clearly or take a video?
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

dkryder
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:33 pm

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:41 pm

kusti8, i had to rebuild my jessie overnight and the instructions were a help in getting chromium (and a few other programs) back so i wanted to say i thank you for the write-up. it's always less stressful with a good clear roadmap.

User avatar
Taxicletter
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:25 pm
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Contact: Website

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:40 pm

I just installed Chromium from the "add/remove software" repositories, and it works, I'm using it right now to view and post in the forum.

In About Chromium it says "Version 51.0.2704.79 Built on Ubuntu 15.04, running on Raspbian 8.0"

So is the guide still necessary? I DID use this guide before, and then deleted Chromium again, maybe that's why it works for me?
--::--::- 3 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian Lite 9 - RuneAudio - one broke (wifi) - not in use -::--::--

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3439
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:42 pm

Taxicletter wrote:I just installed Chromium from the "add/remove software" repositories, and it works, I'm using it right now to view and post in the forum.

In About Chromium it says "Version 51.0.2704.79 Built on Ubuntu 15.04, running on Raspbian 8.0"

So is the guide still necessary? I DID use this guide before, and then deleted Chromium again, maybe that's why it works for me?
It's because you added the repository. Instead of getting it from the official sources, it gets it from me. You don't need to do anything else on your end, other than update. That's the advantage of this new method, it's once and done.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

User avatar
Taxicletter
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:25 pm
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Contact: Website

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:30 pm

Ah! :-) Great! Thanks.
--::--::- 3 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian Lite 9 - RuneAudio - one broke (wifi) - not in use -::--::--

acrogenesis
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:11 pm

What video format/resolution is the best for chromium on the raspberry? Right now I'm using webm 720p and it starts great but after a few hours of running it starts stuttering. I have full control of the video that's going to be displayed and I don't need sound.

Thanks!

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3439
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:13 pm

acrogenesis wrote:What video format/resolution is the best for chromium on the raspberry? Right now I'm using webm 720p and it starts great but after a few hours of running it starts stuttering. I have full control of the video that's going to be displayed and I don't need sound.

Thanks!
They should all be around the same. You can try encoding it as H264 or AVC and then using the beta with HW acceleration to see if that helps. viewtopic.php?f=63&t=157049
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

rfv-370
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:58 pm

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:25 pm

Hi,
I have been using Rpi-Chromium in the past on Rpi3(Raspbian8) without any problem and it is great!
but today on a new Rpi3 I am encountering an issue which - it seems- is new (to me at least).
(I have read most of the 30+ pages of this thread and apologies if have missed the right workaround?)

At the end of the standard Rpi-Chromium install from Kutsi8 ( https://kusti8.github.io/RPi-chromium/ ), I get this:

Code: Select all

run_omxplayer.py -U
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/run_omxplayer.py", line 28, in <module>
    check_update()
  File "/usr/bin/run_omxplayer.py", line 21, in check_update
    open("run_omx.json", "w").write(new_man)
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'run_omx.json'
I though it was a permission issue and I sudo'ed but:

Code: Select all

[email protected]:/usr/local/bin $ sudo run_omxplayer.py -U
youtube-dl from github not found
strange but clear (I thought) and fair enough I have re-installed youtube-dl from github,and then checked :
[email protected]:/usr/local/bin $ update-ytdl
Already up-to-date.
main file ok
compiling modules ...
done
[email protected]:/usr/local/bin $ youtube-dl --version
[email protected]:/usr/local/bin $
So update-ytdl says all good but when I want to check the version: No version comes up out from youtube-dl???? Weird.
- and of course kweb or chromium(51) are not launching OMXplayer when asked for....

I tried to remove all, chromium and youtube-dl and re-install but same issue.

Any idea of a workaround ?

All my system is updated (dist-upgrade)- and it is a RPi3b running Raspbian8 (with some Pitop layer/desktop available on the xserver but I do not think it can interfere... as I use the standard :Lxde-Pi)

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3439
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:17 pm

Ah. I see the problem. You are in /usr/local/bin when you are running that and you don't have permission there. You should go to your home directory and do it.

Instead of that you can just do:
update-ytdl
Which does the same thing and works everywhere.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

rfv-370
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:58 pm

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:37 pm

Indeed. it worked once in my home directory.
All is back to normal and your chromium-plugin calling OMXPlayer works like a charm on a brand new Pitop!
Thank you Kutsi8.

theja0473
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:41 am

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:44 am

Hi Frineds,

I am not abel to install the chromium-browser on my RPI-3
Attachments
Screenshot from 2016-08-24 11-09-50.png
Screenshot from 2016-08-24 11-09-50.png (54.97 KiB) Viewed 4379 times

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3439
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:43 pm

What does
cat /etc/apt/sources.list say?

Try
sudo apt-get -f install
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

jimnbene
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:44 pm

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:31 pm

wget -qO - http://bintray.com/user/downloadSubject ... me=bintray | sudo apt-key add -

When I use this I get a "usage wget invalid option '0' I made sure that I has a Number zero not an "o" there but still no luck. Any Idea?

Thanks

Jim Alexander
newbi to Rasberry Pi but not to Linux

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3439
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:38 pm

Are you sure? Can you copy a log of what you entered?
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

User avatar
Gavinmc42
Posts: 3736
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:31 am

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:35 am

Next Jessie release going to come with Chromium?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3439
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:38 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:Next Jessie release going to come with Chromium?
I have no idea.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

coloop
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:55 am
Location: iran
Contact: Website

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:08 am

Does chromium compatible with any other mini pc's like "orange pi one"(CortexA7) ?!
raspberry pi 2's cpu articheture is same as orange pi !!! (Arm v7)

thanks

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5157
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:59 am
Location: Berkshire, England

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:48 am

coloop wrote:Does chromium compatible with any other mini pc's like "orange pi one"(CortexA7) ?!
raspberry pi 2's cpu articheture is same as orange pi !!! (Arm v7)

thanks
You wont get any help with anything called an orange pi here. This forum is run for support of genuine raspberry pi products only......
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

rfv-370
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:58 pm

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:44 pm

Hi Kusti8,
it worked all fine till yesterday. Not quite sure I did something wrong...
Now when in Chromium, on youtube for example, and calling OMX, it starts OMX but then straight away OMX crashes before anything plays... Any ideas?
where can I find a log to understand what is going on?
:shock:

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3439
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:48 pm

rfv-370 wrote:Hi Kusti8,
it worked all fine till yesterday. Not quite sure I did something wrong...
Now when in Chromium, on youtube for example, and calling OMX, it starts OMX but then straight away OMX crashes before anything plays... Any ideas?
where can I find a log to understand what is going on?
:shock:
With a YouTube url, try running:
omxplayergui ytdl [url]
And see what the output is.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

rfv-370
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:58 pm

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:06 pm

interesting:

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ run_omxplayer.py -U
Already up-to-date.
main file ok
compiling modules ...
done
[email protected]:~ $ omxplayergui ytdl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f9F-7x3y50
[email protected]:~ $ 
it does crash OMX and no message....

But even more interesting actually - only this video crashes OMX.... other youtube videos seems playing fine... may be not worth the time to look into it...?

let me know if we go further ?
(My daughter can survive without this trailer: ;) )

best

gkreidl
Posts: 6097
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:16 pm

rfv-370 wrote:interesting:

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ run_omxplayer.py -U
Already up-to-date.
main file ok
compiling modules ...
done
[email protected]:~ $ omxplayergui ytdl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f9F-7x3y50
[email protected]:~ $ 
it does crash OMX and no message....

But even more interesting actually - only this video crashes OMX.... other youtube videos seems playing fine... may be not worth the time to look into it...?

let me know if we go further ?
(My daughter can survive without this trailer: ;) )

best
Run the youtube-dl-server in a terminal before starting chromium.

Code: Select all

ytdl_server.py
Try to play the video. Watch for error messages.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

rfv-370
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:58 pm

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:36 pm

Hi gkreidl

here is what I got from this video stream... I am unable to understand:

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ ytdl_server.py &
[1] 11686
[email protected]:~ $ Starting youtube-dl-server on port 9192

[email protected]:~ $ omxplayergui ytdl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f9F-7x3y50
127.0.0.1 - - [27/Aug/2016 00:32:52] "GET /running HTTP/1.1" 200 -
WARNING: "id" field is not a string - forcing string conversion
127.0.0.1 - - [27/Aug/2016 00:32:56] "GET /info?url=https%3A//www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D9f9F-7x3y50 HTTP/1.1" 200 -
[email protected]:~ $ 

May be usefull?

gkreidl
Posts: 6097
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:42 am

rfv-370 wrote:Hi gkreidl

here is what I got from this video stream... I am unable to understand:

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ ytdl_server.py &
[1] 11686
[email protected]:~ $ Starting youtube-dl-server on port 9192

[email protected]:~ $ omxplayergui ytdl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f9F-7x3y50
127.0.0.1 - - [27/Aug/2016 00:32:52] "GET /running HTTP/1.1" 200 -
WARNING: "id" field is not a string - forcing string conversion
127.0.0.1 - - [27/Aug/2016 00:32:56] "GET /info?url=https%3A//www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D9f9F-7x3y50 HTTP/1.1" 200 -
[email protected]:~ $ 

May be usefull?
Yes. It tells me that youtube-dl is not throwing an error.
But this special video is protected by geolocation. It throws an error (not available in Germany) when I try to open it.

How large is your GPU memory?
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Return to “General discussion”