rubikwizard

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:33 pm

I'll uninstall your Chromium and try the official one, then see if the sync issue is resolved.
How do I uninstall the Chromium that was installed with this guide?

Thanks

SvenVT85

Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:44 pm

I used my Raspberry Pi3 as a Google Cloud printing solution for a while. Everything worked fine until yesterday. Since yesterday I'm unable to assign a google account anymore to my Chromium 51. I've tried 2 different raspberry Pi3, different google accounts and even a clean install. It seems like Google is blocking (since yesterday) any attemp to assign/login a Google account to Chromium 51 installed on Rasbian Jessie. Does anyone else have issues with assigning a Google account? And why does this problem started yesterday? Does anyone knows how to solve this?

Pilosopong Tasyo

Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:58 pm

rubikwizard wrote:How do I uninstall the Chromium that was installed with this guide?
Reverse order from page 1, step 2:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove chromium-browser rpi-youtube
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-key del Bintray
Edit the sources list and remove (or comment out) the bintray repository:

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
Last step is to resync the package index files:

sudo apt-get update
Give a man a ghoti and he'll eat for a day; teach him how to ghoti and he'll eat for life. Ghoti?! - http://i.imgur.com/mAfBUdi.png
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way - http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

geev03

Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:11 pm

The new Chromium browser renders docker httpd webpageImage

docker run -it armhf/alpine /bin/sh
a bit faster ,using even less RAM.

dead

Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:12 pm

Hey guys, I'm trying to run the official chromium-browser in a docker container.
But when I try to execute it I get:

/usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser: undefined symbol: mmal_vc_init_fd
Since I'm running libreelec as host I can't simple use rpi-update :roll:

[email protected]:/# vcgencmd version
Sep 21 2016 13:17:10
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 2eaf52cc53435b5ce67253af1487f9a4f9f96e2d (clean) (release)
[email protected]:/# uname -a
Linux b44c0668abc4 4.7.5 #1 SMP Wed Sep 28 22:59:24 BST 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

Rascas

Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:16 am

dead wrote:Hey guys, I'm trying to run the official chromium-browser in a docker container.

/usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser: undefined symbol: mmal_vc_init_fd
Since I'm running libreelec as host I can't simple use rpi-update :roll:

[email protected]:/# vcgencmd version
Sep 21 2016 13:17:10
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 2eaf52cc53435b5ce67253af1487f9a4f9f96e2d (clean) (release)
[email protected]:/# uname -a
Linux b44c0668abc4 4.7.5 #1 SMP Wed Sep 28 22:59:24 BST 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux
Is this a joke ?
Libreelec is an embedded kodi system, it doesnt make sense to run a browser in a docker container. For it you need a X window system with all dependencies.

dead

Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:55 am

No, it's not. When running docker using --privileged you are able to access all devices from the host.
I know Libreelec is a embedded kodi system. Libreelec doesn't use a X window system, but you can run it inside the docker container as well. (ref: https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-234.html)

And I was able to run it. Just compiled the userland from the git and now its working :D

Rascas

Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:07 am

dead wrote:No, it's not. When running docker using --privileged you are able to access all devices from the host.
I know Libreelec is a embedded kodi system. Libreelec doesn't use a X window system, but you can run it inside the docker container as well. (ref: https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-234.html)

And I was able to run it. Just compiled the userland from the git and now its working :D
Ok. You are running now something that we are running from the the begining of the Raspberry Pi, some years ago, excluding this new optimizations f course. With xbmc/Kodi. Welcome to the club :D

rosede

Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:07 pm

Hello, Thank you for posting this guide.

I just stood up a RPi2 with Jessie, fully patched to the latest levels. I added the Chromium browser per this thread. For the most part works great. Much better than the way I had been doing things.

I have several plasma TV's that display different pages of different content. Tabs rotate every minute. The display that has the RPi2/Chromium had three tabs. The first tab is, of the most part, static content. I have to refresh the page to refresh the content. The second tab displays a graph of data. The data gets automatically updated from the source every time the tab opens. The third tab is a weather map of the entire globe. This map shows a lot data, weather fronts, cloud cover and lighting. The weather is animated while the tab is opened, and automatically gets refreshed when the tab opens.

This all works great, however, Chromium crashes from time to time and I'm not sure why. It had been up for about 24 hours, then all of a sudden, crash, and I had to reboot the pi to get things back. I don't see anything in the normal log files, and I don't see a debug option in Chromium. Is there a way that I can tell why its crashing? Am I missing a library or package of some kind? Any one have any idea's or suggestions?

Thank you.

Daryl

Dis93

Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:11 pm

I found I get a system freeze when the swapfile maxes out, needing a power cycle to get the Pi back up.
I increased the swapfile size and regularly stop/start the swapfile when needed (running top in a terminal to monitor it)

rosede

Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:22 pm

Dis93 wrote:I found I get a system freeze when the swapfile maxes out, needing a power cycle to get the Pi back up.
I increased the swapfile size and regularly stop/start the swapfile when needed (running top in a terminal to monitor it)
I bumped swap up to a 1G. I'll keep an eye on it for a few days and see how it works.

Thanks for the reply.

Daryl

jakky567

Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:32 pm

Has anyone gotten sync working yet?

kusti8

Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:25 pm

jakky567 wrote:Has anyone gotten sync working yet?
It's still being worked on.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Pilosopong Tasyo

Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:51 pm

jakky567 wrote:Has anyone gotten sync working yet?
PSA/FYI - RPF Chromium Browser "sign into chromium" not working thread:
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=161275
Give a man a ghoti and he'll eat for a day; teach him how to ghoti and he'll eat for life. Ghoti?! - http://i.imgur.com/mAfBUdi.png
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way - http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

numbat

Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:00 pm

dead wrote:Hey guys, I'm trying to run the official chromium-browser in a docker container.

I encountered this problem with a stock Jessie installation on a RPi 3. After trying everything listed in this thread:

$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
$ sudo reboot
...solved the problem.

k7ve

Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:05 pm

I am also having the undefined symbol: mmal_vc_init_fd on Raspbian Jesse (with Compass Linux Kernel)

Unsure where to look.

kusti8

Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:55 am

k7ve wrote:I am also having the undefined symbol: mmal_vc_init_fd on Raspbian Jesse (with Compass Linux Kernel)

Unsure where to look.
The problem is that you have an older and unsupported kernel. You could try:
sudo SKIP_KERNEL=1 rpi-update
But that's all I can think of and if it doesn't work, you need to use the default kernel.

dead

Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:34 pm

k7ve wrote:I am also having the undefined symbol: mmal_vc_init_fd on Raspbian Jesse (with Compass Linux Kernel)

Unsure where to look.
You can try compiling this https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland

@kusti8
How good chromium handles videos using mmal? I'm getting better results with Epiphany :|

kusti8

Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:19 am

dead wrote:

Unsure where to look.

@kusti8
How good chromium handles videos using mmal? I'm getting better results with Epiphany :|
It should be around the same. How are you judging that? You have all upgraded and h264ify is there?

The switch from Epiphany to Chromium was because Chromium was more stable, was easier to modify because it used it's own version of ffmpeg. Epiphany was horribly prone to crashing.

dead

Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 am

kusti8 wrote:
dead wrote:

Unsure where to look.

@kusti8
It should be around the same. How are you judging that? You have all upgraded and h264ify is there?

The switch from Epiphany to Chromium was because Chromium was more stable, was easier to modify because it used it's own version of ffmpeg. Epiphany was horribly prone to crashing.
I'm testing with a 480p mp4 file, It should work in an old raspberry pi b+, right? Epiphany runs it fine.

--use-gl=egl works?
Here its not working
[1349:1349:1011/011458:ERROR:gl_implementation_osmesa.cc(22)] Failed to load libGLESv2.so.2: libGLESv2.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

And if i rename the libGLESv2.so in /usr/lib/chromium-browser/libs to libGLESv2.so.2
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate

Maybe I'm missing something because I had to install X11 via ssh (only have a 4gb, so I can't use the full raspbian image)

TideMan

Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:21 am

I wonder if someone can tell me what is the big deal about Chromium?

I've been using Iceweasel/Firefox ESR on my RPIs for some time now and that has the advantage that it's almost exactly the same as Firefox on my PC, including Bookmarks which are linked over all my machines.

What extra would I get with Chromium that I don't get with Firefox?

cjan

Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:00 am

TideMan wrote:I wonder if someone can tell me what is the big deal about Chromium?

I've been using Iceweasel/Firefox ESR on my RPIs for some time now and that has the advantage that it's almost exactly the same as Firefox on my PC, including Bookmarks which are linked over all my machines.

can you play youtube on 720p ?

DNPNWO

Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:04 pm

cjan wrote:
TideMan wrote:I wonder if someone can tell me what is the big deal about Chromium?

Pepperflash support (e.g., ability to use/view alarm.com video feeds, Pandora Internet radio, Google Play Music, Full edit capability for Youtube video content, etc)

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:30 pm

dead wrote: I'm testing with a 480p mp4 file, It should work in an old raspberry pi b+, right? Epiphany runs it fine.
Pi1 is too slow for video with Chromium (at least currently). Using Epiphany (which is still installed) on Pi1 if you need video playback is recommended.

hellthrasher

Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:34 pm

Hello krusti8,

rpi-youtube seems to be a neat solution for YT on chromium, but somehow I can't get it to work.

I use the most recent Raspbian version on a Pi3 with chromium 51. All settings are quite default since it's the first "thing" I tried on a fresh OS.

This is what I installed:
-rpi-youtube extension for chromium
-the native script from https://github.com/kusti8/RPi-chromium
-kweb suite for the omxplayerGUI
-update/upgrade all and everything

This is what it does:
-by clicking on the button in chromium the YT-playback pauses and nothing else happens
-"omxplayergui ytdl [url]" starts omxplayerGUI and plays the video

Maybe a hint or not:
After installing the native script, "run_omx.json" opens and a new (and empty) chromium window (seemed weird for me atleast).

I'd be really happy with some help.

Return to “General discussion”