kusti8

Re: Guide: Chromium 50 on Raspbian Jessie

Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:00 am

cjan wrote:51b, youtube play 360p snap a bit than 49, and it change user setting some where like enable GPU.
OK. I'll release it tomorrow.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

kusti8

Re: Guide: Chromium 51 on Raspbian Jessie

Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:58 pm

Chromium v51 has now been released for everyone!

cjan

Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:05 pm

kusti8 wrote:Chromium v51 has now been released for everyone!
so, 51b=51 ?

kusti8

Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:06 pm

cjan wrote:
so, 51b=51 ?
Yes, it's exactly the same.

cjan

Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:12 pm

kusti8 wrote:
cjan wrote:
so, 51b=51 ?
ok, downgrade to 49.

kusti8

Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:13 pm

cjan wrote:
kusti8 wrote:
cjan wrote: so, 51b=51 ?
ok, downgrade to 49.
Why?

cjan

Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:29 pm

50 can not play youtube forward.
51 can not play youtube 360p smooth.
ps. Rpi2

kusti8

Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:09 pm

cjan wrote:50 can not play youtube forward.
51 can not play youtube 360p smooth.
ps. Rpi2
You did this
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=148452
?

DNPNWO

Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:55 pm

Reverting back to v50.

v51 is choppy as hell in 720p on youtube. Almost unwatchable.

In v50 720p, full screen, with "Media Source API" disabled in "chrome://flags", video playback is smooth.

Tried to disable "media source api" in v51 flags, but it doesnt appear to even be there?

kusti8

Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:44 pm

DNPNWO wrote:Reverting back to v50.

In v50 720p, full screen, with "Media Source API" disabled in "chrome://flags", video playback is smooth.

Tried to disable "media source api" in v51 flags, but it doesnt appear to even be there?
I'm not going to revert to v50 because of this, but if you want to, it seems to be a little improved and it does the same thing with this:
https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter ... er-Version
Enable dev mode in chrome://extensions, go to options, Player, and disable DASH. That does the same thing as the fix before.

But I would still recommend my rpi-youtube for a better and nicer experience.

Jimblob64

Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:19 pm

First: Thank you for doing this for Raspbian Jessie. I've been happily using Chromium 50 for home and work on my Pi 3B for a month now.

Thought I'd try and help out a little with feedback, since there is a fairly major performance difference between Chromium 50 and 51 for me.

On v50, these forums loaded smoothly, and even Google Docs was at least usable in terms of responsiveness. Since the update to v51, I saw hardware acceleration is now enabled. (Mental "Whoohoo!") Sadly, every time I enable hardware acceleration in Chromium Settings, every single page lags. Not just Google Docs anymore, but even these forums. Heck, even the Chromium Settings page- nay, the Chromium menu itself has an awkwardly long pause to load.

Changed my memory allocation to give 256 MB to the GPU and restarted, thinking it'd make a big difference from my usual 64 MB. Nnnnnnope!

Only way to speed it up is to go to Settings and uncheck "hardware acceleration if available."

Any thoughts about why this might be slower with hardware acceleration than without (putting aside that it's a Raspberry Pi, and that might be a reason all its own)?

And is there any additional information it might help to know? If there's anything I can do, please do let me know.

Meanwhile, I'm keeping my browsing solely software-accelerated. The advantages of having the same bookmarks sync on all my computers and phone continue to far outweigh lack of, or lagginess of, hardware acceleration anyway.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the 90%-100& CPU usage whenever I click anywhere inside the Chromium window with hardware acceleration enabled. It's more like 40% if I switch to software acceleration.
Last edited by Jimblob64 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
RPi 4B w/ Buster in a toasty little official case, and an RPi 3B w/ Stretch.

EdwardBean

Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:27 pm

That worked like a champ getting to 51. I had problems getting 50 to work but all is good!

Thanks!

DNPNWO

Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:32 pm

kusti8 wrote:

I'm not going to revert to v50 because of this, but if you want to, it seems to be a little improved and it does the same thing with this:
Enable dev mode in chrome://extensions, go to options, Player, and disable DASH. That does the same thing as the fix before.

Not interested in the rpi-youtube, but thanks anyways. Will try dev with dash disabled.

Thanks

kusti8

Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:33 pm

DNPNWO wrote:
kusti8 wrote:

Not interested in the rpi-youtube, but thanks anyways. Will try dev with dash disabled.

Thanks
Any reason why you're not interested? Not trying to pressure you, just looking for some feedback.

kusti8

Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:06 pm

I just published a new version of RPi-youtube that autoinstalls the chromium extension for you, saving a step.

DNPNWO

Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:22 pm

I have restored v50 chromium browser. In my case, I just want something that works. v50 works full screen in 720p.

I am not interested in using third party apps to essentially download a youtube video, and then play it in the default raspbian media player. The reviews on the rpi-youtube report sluggishness, viewing delays. I do not have the patience for that.
Last edited by DNPNWO on Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kusti8

Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:25 pm

DNPNWO wrote:I have restored v50 chromium browser. In my case, I just want something that works. v50 works full screen in 720p.

I am not interested in using third party apps to essentially download a youtube video, and then play it in the default raspbian media player. The reviews on the rpi-youtube report sluggishness, and delays. I do not have the patience for that.
You seem to misunderstand. It does not download the video, it simply retrieves the direct url and plays it. It takes 5 seconds, less after the first video and the review of which you are talking about had still not gotten back to me to fix that. Most users and those that left reviews say it is fast. On a Pi, nothing much is going to work the normal way.

DNPNWO

Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:27 pm

kusti8 wrote:
DNPNWO wrote:I have restored v50 chromium browser. In my case, I just want something that works. v50 works full screen in 720p.

I am not interested in using third party apps to essentially download a youtube video, and then play it in the default raspbian media player. The reviews on the rpi-youtube report sluggishness, and delays. I do not have the patience for that.
You seem to misunderstand. It does not download the video, it simply retrieves the direct url and plays it. It takes 5 seconds, less after the first video and the review of which you are talking about had still not gotten back to me to fix that. Most users and those that left reviews say it is fast. On a Pi, nothing much is going to work the normal way.
In any event, it doesn't matter. v50 works, and it does not require any youtube third party app redirects/players for smooth HD video playback.

lumsdot

Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:33 pm

Chromimum 50 playing youtube videos at 720p in browser.
Maybe but i am guessing lot and lots of dropped frames.
On my pi3 on chromium 50 i can only watch 360p in a non maximized window for a smooth frame rate

kusti8

Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:35 pm

lumsdot wrote:Chromimum 50 playing youtube videos at 720p in browser.
On my pi3 on chromium 50 i can only watch 360p in a non maximized window for a smooth frame rate
Yeah, even with the Media flag off, I don't understand how you can view the 720p. I'm not trying to be pushy, but that's why I made rpi-youtube. Ultimately it's up to you.

DNPNWO

Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:39 pm

Did you disable "Media Source API" in "chrome://flags"?
kusti8 wrote:Yeah, even with the Media flag off, I don't understand how you can view the 720p. I'm not trying to be pushy, but that's why I made rpi-youtube. Ultimately it's up to you.

There is a video on Youtube that someone posted showing how to get 720p on the RPI in fullscreen using v50. it worked for me.
https://youtu.be/CNZZpdGK6aM

kusti8

Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:45 pm

DNPNWO wrote:
Did you disable "Media Source API" in "chrome://flags"?
kusti8 wrote:Yeah, even with the Media flag off, I don't understand how you can view the 720p. I'm not trying to be pushy, but that's why I made rpi-youtube. Ultimately it's up to you.

There is a video on Youtube that someone posted showing how to get 720p on the RPI in fullscreen using v50. it worked for me.
https://youtu.be/CNZZpdGK6aM
There are many errors in those instructions and after trying to contact the author he proceeded to ignore me. I know the Media Source API thing, it's linked in my guide and if I works for you, that's totally OK. It's just that won't probably won't be brought back in future versions.

gkreidl

Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:46 pm

DNPNWO wrote: In any event, it doesn't matter. v50 works, and it does not require any youtube third party app redirects/players for smooth HD video playback.
Obviously you don't know what "smooth HD video playback" really is. All browsers on the RPi 3 (with the exception of epiphany, but that is buggy) lose quite a lot of frames when playing video in 720p. The "third party software" is built on omxplayer and can play up to 1080p60 video (from vimeo.com, for example). And it doesn't even need a RPi 3. Older RPis will also work (but for chromium you need at least a RPi 2).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

kusti8

Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:48 pm

[quote="gkreidl"[]quote="DNPNWO"]
In any event, it doesn't matter. v50 works, and it does not require any youtube third party app redirects/players for smooth HD video playback.[/quote]

Obviously you don't know what "smooth HD video playback" really is. All browsers on the RPi 3 (with the exception of epiphany, but that is buggy) lose quite a lot of frames when playing video in 720p. The "third party software" is built on omxplayer and can play up to 1080p60 video (from vimeo.com, for example). And it doesn't even need a RPi 3. Older RPis will also work (but for chromium you need at least a RPi 2).[/quote]
+1
If you want to see how many dropped frames, right click and click on Stats for Nerds. There are a lot of dropped frames, making it more like 10-15FPS.

lumsdot

Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:53 pm

Yes i disabled the media flag.
360p is the best i can watch,
Which is fine for me.
I dont like the rpi youtube dl idea, ive tried it with kweb and found it hit and miss.

It would be good to know what the advantage of 51 is over 50.
It could be every new version of chromium goes slightly slower than the last due to additional features

Return to “General discussion”