NobleKaiser

First timer

Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:26 am

Having a great time with my Pi 2, installed Raspbian and OSMC. For a first user what else can I do via command lines to make this a better experience. How often should I update my system ? Step by step tutorials or code lines are appreciated. How can I open command prompt using keys only ? My Pi is used for absurdly simple tasks, so overclocking to a modest 100 MHz increase would be too much useless risk ? Is sudo apt-get install libreoffice the best office suite available ? Sorry for the bombardment of questions but the Raspberry Pi community provides more support than some big corporations I had the displeasure of working with.

Thanks for the support,

NK

metalj

Re: First timer

Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:52 am

"Sudo apt-get update " before you "sudo apt-get install" anything. "Sudo apt-get upgrade" at your own peril. Libre is fine but it will take a while to download.
Backspace 28 times :)

klricks

Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:57 am

metalj wrote:........ "Sudo apt-get upgrade" at your own peril...........
Why? I do the update once or twice a week or so. Never heard of that being a problem.......
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

kusti8

Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:59 am

1. Depends on what you want
2. If you don't need a new feature, then never updating is fine
3. There should be an option (I've only used OpenElec) on the power button to exit, there you should be greeted with the command line
4. Overclocking doesn't give much of a speedboost, but any overclock wouldn't be too much a risk
5. You can't use that in OSMC. Google for how to install Kodi on Raspbian, that is the only place it will work.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Return to “General discussion”