uit

Raspberry Pi 3 coming up??

Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:02 pm

Hi there,
is there any news/information, when the Raspberry Pi 3 will be available resp. is Pi 3 already in the make?

(I want to replace my old desktop computer next year - and I think, a somewhat more powerful Pi then the Pi 2 will absolutely do...)

Thanks!

mikronauts

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 coming up??

Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:19 pm

Yes, there will be a Raspberry Pi 3 ... sometime this century.
uit wrote:Hi there,
is there any news/information, when the Raspberry Pi 3 will be available resp. is Pi 3 already in the make?

(I want to replace my old desktop computer next year - and I think, a somewhat more powerful Pi then the Pi 2 will absolutely do...)

Thanks!
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

Heater

Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:30 pm

There may or may not be a Raspi 3. It's a waste of life speculating about it.

In the mean time. What about an 8 core, 64 bit, 1.2 GHz Raspi sized board?

https://www.96boards.org/products/ce/hikey/
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

DougieLawson

Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:20 pm

Watch the video at: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbe ... ben-upton/ and you'll get some idea of Eben's product plans, which don't include a RPi 3 any time soon. The 2A and CM2 are more likely to happen before Pi 3.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

solar3000

Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:50 am

ahhh! Getting my hopes up high.

I'd be interested in splitting up the pi.
The A branch to optimise low power. The B branch for performance.
Because right now the A is like a stripped down B. Not much of an incentive to buy it. It still runs at a few hundred milliamps.
Antikythera

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:36 am

Heater wrote: In the mean time. What about an 8 core, 64 bit, 1.2 GHz Raspi sized board?
Still only 1GB of ram which IMO is pretty cramped for running a general use desktop system nowadays.

metalj

Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:41 am

I am bummed about the raspberry pi not getting super powerful but it makes sense. Also I wonder about the whole USB 3 issue on the next version. I predict the raspberry pi 3 will be out in 2016. I can't wait for the software acceleration. I hope they will add more languages to raspbian at some point. Also I would like a vga port because the converter costs too much.
Backspace 28 times :)

Heater

Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:13 am

@plugwash,

I agree 1GByte RAM on an 8 core 64 bit machine seems very miserly. Half the point of going to a 64 bit processor is allow for memory spaces bigger than the usual 2G or 4G limits.

@metalj,
I hope they will add more languages to raspbian at some point.
I'm curious, what language do you want that is missing from Raspbian? Surely every commonly used language is available now.

VGA would be a pointless step backwards.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

metalj

Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:32 am

Vga is a million times better than hooking it up to an sdtv. It is definitely not pointless it's functional. HDTVs are too big, 7 inch displays are too small, vga monitors are the perfect size. There is a surplus of like new hd vga monitors being sold cheap right now my point is the adapters cost as much as the monitors and it ticks me off.
Backspace 28 times :)

rpdom

Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:11 am

metalj wrote:There is a surplus of like new hd vga monitors being sold cheap right now my point is the adapters cost as much as the monitors and it ticks me off.
Many of which have DVI-D inputs as well as VGA, which will work with the HDMI output and give a better quality picture. Also the cables are cheaper and generally more reliable than VGA adaptors. :)

uit

Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:35 am

DougieLawson wrote:Watch the video at: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbe ... ben-upton/ and you'll get some idea of Eben's product plans, which don't include a RPi 3 any time soon. The 2A and CM2 are more likely to happen before Pi 3.
Thanks, this (kind of) answers my question.

uit

Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:37 am

Heater wrote:There may or may not be a Raspi 3. It's a waste of life speculating about it.

In the mean time. What about an 8 core, 64 bit, 1.2 GHz Raspi sized board?

https://www.96boards.org/products/ce/hikey/
Thanks! I thought about such boards, but the RAM is still somewhat small - and most of them lack a big community (which is a major advantage, imo).

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:12 am

In précis, no Pi3 in the near future. So locking
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Return to “General discussion”