johnbeetem

Re: Nvidias Portable Computer System Patent

Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:50 pm

And as Anacharsis said a couple thousand years earlier:
[quote]Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones.[/quote]

Nutmeat

Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:01 am

Quote from liz on November 4, 2011, 14:48
Just found an article I remembered reading in Wired last year about patents in the mobile phone industry. ... Worth a few minutes of your time. ...[/quote]
Yes, it is worth a few minutes. If you\'ve got them, spend them reading that article. It\'s got an anti-patent bias, but it actually points out some of the more blunt instruments used in this \"patent war\":
[quote]Ilkka Rahnasto, vice-president of legal and intellectual property at Nokia said, \"The basic principle in the mobile industry is that those companies that contribute in technology development to establish standards create intellectual property, which others then need to compensate for...\"

Mark Durrant of Nokia:
\"Companies needed to turn to litigation to protect their own rights for the intellectual property they own against free-riding by some, as well as defending themselves against unrealistic demands from companies with patents of questionable quality.\"

The patents that Nokia claims Apple is infringing are what the industry calls standards -- patents essential to the technology\'s operation. These standards are agreed by the European Telecommunications Standards Institute and companies that own them are obliged to license them at \"fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory terms\" -- which could be pence rather than pounds. The problem is that there\'s no independent verification of how essential a patent is. And because companies have amassed vast portfolios of patents, it is increasingly hard not to infringe on someone\'s.
[/quote]
Nothings that follows is a professional opinion. It is a personal opinion.
When I read stuff like this, I can\'t help but point out that the patents aren\'t the issue. It looks more like the institutes that entrench patented subject matter into standards are the ones creating tension in the industry. Those that “don\'t like it” are those that don\'t want to pay to follow a standard. Except they didn\'t invent anything to do with it, so they have to pay a fair and unbiased license to use it. The rest of the article is about that big hi-tech company that feels the need to unload their patent arsenal on the standards beneficiaries.

Tying all of this back to the Raspi is a bit of a stretch. The best I can do is look at the USB 2.0 standard. Raspi just uses it.

I\'m speculating on all of this, but the funny thing is that when you buy that chip you are indirectly and, without even noticing, paying whatever pittance of a royalty you must for the use of that standard, and it is stupidly cost effective. If you think the cost could have been kept lower by building a royalty-free clone of the USB 2.0 compatible interface, you\'re fooling yourself. Then, after going through that pointless development effort, you may be opening yourself to infringement. Does it sound ridiculous? It sure does to me, but it\'s looking like that\'s corporate practice for that “techno-fruit” company. You can buy shares in that if you like.

And as for that NVIDEA patent filing, may they have fun with it. It does look like a cool idea. Plug a computer directly into one the those spare HDMI ports in the back of your HDTV? Knock yourself out. Getting the Raspi THAT close to the TV wasn\'t at the top of my priority list. I\'m happy using 2 meter HDMI cables. I can safely say that getting that cable out of my setup was going to be about the very last thing I was going to take time to do.

jg

Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:43 am

[quote]Quote from Beakster on November 3, 2011, 01:54
Just been reading about Nvidias Portable Computer System Patents on some other forums and a few people are mentioning the Pi and wondering if this will be released as a competitor.
[/quote]

Astounding, so much for the supposed \'hurdles\'
* NOT Obvious to someone versed in the art...
* Prior Art considerations...

Patent nonsense aside, the other problem they have is he mention of
10 WATTS (!) in that sized package.

That excludes using a cheap plastic case....

Their other issue would be software - what is the support base like, for their Tegra ?

riffraff

Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:01 am

Amusing at best. Obviously not the first thing ever made to plug into a TV and if someone is thinking of a patent on a dongle computer, Picotux already beat them to the punch. Those things are scary-small... first thing I thought of was potential for espionage. You know, slip one in behind a wall jack, or hide it amongst the cabling on their server. :)

hippy

Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:07 pm

Patent grabs are as much about protecting others from obtaining a patent and threatening your own business as having the patent to threaten others.

It has become a perceived necessity to apply for a patent on anything and everything because, if you don\'t, then someone else will and then they will come suing you. It doesn\'t matter if the patent is not novel or has prior art because the patent examiner may let it through and it\'s better to grab that opportunity than let someone else do so and then have to fight it. A business venture, with their primary purpose of making profit, could be considered as failing in that duty if they did not pursue such a course.

No matter what a patent\'s worth or legitimacy, businesses will use their patent portfolio to fight off claims of patent infringements using the fear that one of theirs might be upheld in counter claim so patents have become a tool of protecting business more than anything to do with protecting inventions.

Of course, if you have a patent, even for defensive purposes, then you may as well use it for attack, and, again, a for profit business could be said to be failing in its duty of taking every opportunity to make money if it did not do that when there\'s a good chance of winning.

I believe the USPTO in granting \'dubious patents\' has encouraged this situation to arise then grow exponentially and are entirely complicit in creating the situation we currently have.

Nutmeat

Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:53 am

I keep running the NVIDEA \"solution\" through my mind, and I\'m really liking their approach to this whole ARM / SoC bit.
The Raspi should have that unit beat on anything you\'d like to do without a USB connection (I\'m thinking of all the pins made accessible on the Raspi that you don\'t see being a part of a compact and slick mass market PoS).
WRT final price, NVIDEA should be able to deliver something really inexpensive; in the same ball park as the Raspi, perhaps even price competitive. It\'s anybody\'s guess how \"free\" that platform will ever become, but it could graciously offer an alternative for those that will never be understanding of a product made for education by a foundation motivated by ideals that extend beyond shareholder revenues.

I\'m not going to wait for them to play catch-up. I\'m not upset by any of the limitations of the Raspi, either. They\'re all just specs, after all.

* sigh *

What\'s that I smell? Raspberrys in the middle of the winter? What a treat.

Return to “General discussion”