caviedes55

Is Raspberry Pi 2 B enough running a desktop OS?

Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:34 am

Hi all,

I have a Raspberry Pi 1 model B and I need to install an OS "window-type", like Raspbian, but a friend advised me not to do in my actual raspberry because it will run too slower. I want to navigate the internet, play videos, etc.
My question is: are the features of Raspberry Pi 2 B enough to do this?

Thanks in advance

Heater

Re: Is Raspberry Pi 2 B enough running a desktop OS?

Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:18 pm

I don't understand the question.

If you have a Raspberry Pi then I presume you have Raspbian running on it like the majority of Pi users. If not why not?

If (when) you have Rasbian running you will know how it peforms and if it suits your needs for a desk to operating system.

Surfing the web works, perhaps a bit slower than you are used to.

Video playing works, see vlc, omxplayer, etc.

kodi tv works http://kodi.tv/about/

If you want to run an actual Windows OS on the Pi, forget it.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

metalj

Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:05 pm

The gui "windows type thing" works fine. Libre office is slow. I've never even watched a video on mine because YouTube doesn't work without messing with it. Even then. I suggest if you can't program a computer to learn python because it makes your computer so valuable and by next year you could do great things. I pay bills on mine. Also if your into audio audacity is available and you can make a really cool podcast on your pi.
Backspace 28 times :)

davidcoton

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:28 pm

The Pi 2 is significantly faster than its predecessor. I think most people who have tried it for surfing and video have found that it is good enough, given the right choice of program (software). Search here for specific suggestions, I won't repeat them because I haven't tried them.

Do note that the Pi is intended as a learning tool, not a desktop replacement. You should not expect the same performance as modern PC hardware costing 5-10 times as much.
Signature retired

ibrahimansari

Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:51 pm

It is great! I use it every day as my desktop, even though I am into hardcore programming with PyCharm (very intensive) and multimedia. These are all I/O based computations and that is exactly what the BCM2836 is designed for. YouTube can be watched on Epiphany Web included with the Pi and you can install Iceweasel aka Firefox (Debian simply renamed Firefox for their OS, long story but everything is there) and surf the web. Epiphany has one porblem though and here is the fix if you have the bug.
viewtopic.php?p=772276#p772276
Basically the player doesn't work nice and the play button doesn't disappear. This works and there is a bug where the player will disappear or blink and you can just refresh the page. Iceweasel works good but YouTube? Na da.
I is the master of Linux, Windows and the computer realms.
But always with a Pi(e). ;)

caviedes55

Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:27 am

@Heater I ´m currently running Raspbmc OS, that is not "window-system" like, and I dont want to install Windows© OS jejeje.
@davidcoton I don´t expect the performace of a PC at all, that´s because I´m asking if model 2 performace is enough.
@ibrahimansari Thanks a lot, I will test it with Raspbian installed into my Raspberry Pi Model B, and if it´s not enough...I will change it to Pi 2 model!!

Cheers!!

Return to “General discussion”