Player 1

I do not like the Raspberry?

Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:06 pm

I recently bought a Raspberry Pi and for some reason this thing has a login why does this have a login? why can't i just press enter and boot into the OS like a PC? the password i type doesn't work i typed in Pi for the login, then i typed in raspberry for the password doesn't work does that mean this thing is bricked? is there a way to skip the login and get straight to the fun part or shall i just throw this thing away if i don't get a refund.

Joe Schmoe

Re: I do not like the Raspberry?

Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:50 pm

Other people will answer your questions - about what the right id and password to use are and so on.

But, yes, to answer your real question, yes, it is possible to make it login automatically just like a regular PC. I setup all my Pi machines that way.

Once things have calmed down in this thread, I'll tell you how to do it.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

fruitoftheloom

Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:03 pm

Player 1 wrote:I recently bought a Raspberry Pi and for some reason this thing has a login why does this have a login? why can't i just press enter and boot into the OS like a PC? the password i type doesn't work i typed in Pi for the login, then i typed in raspberry for the password doesn't work does that mean this thing is bricked? is there a way to skip the login and get straight to the fun part or shall i just throw this thing away if i don't get a refund.
Raspbian Operating System

raspi-config
boot to desktop

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... -config.md

fyi when a password is typed it is not shown onscreen

https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/quick-start-guide
Retired disgracefully.....

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:41 pm

also, the username is pi, not Pi

ame

Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:42 pm

Player 1 wrote:I recently bought a Raspberry Pi and for some reason this thing has a login why does this have a login? why can't i just press enter and boot into the OS like a PC? the password i type doesn't work i typed in Pi for the login, then i typed in raspberry for the password doesn't work does that mean this thing is bricked? is there a way to skip the login and get straight to the fun part or shall i just throw this thing away if i don't get a refund.
Throw it away. It's no good for you.

Or give it to someone who can read.

jdb

Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:50 pm

ame wrote:
Throw it away. It's no good for you.

Or give it to someone who can read.
"It didn't work for me the first time I used it, so I will throw it in the bin"

Thank God the first person that discovered fire didn't throw their discovery out.

OP: Your Pi is not faulty, you just don't know how to interact with it. Several posts already made in this thread describe common pitfalls that novice users fall into when presented with the first thing after writing a Raspbian image to the card.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

W. H. Heydt

Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:02 am

1. Any Windows PC past WinXP takes a login after it boots, and XP can be set to require a login.
2. By the time you get to a login prompt, the Pi has booted. The OS is running.
3. *UNlike* Windows, the Linux operating system is "case sensitive". That means that upper and lower case matter and an upper case "P" is not the same as a lower case "p". Thus, user ids "fred" and "Fred" are different accounts.

metalj

Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:54 am

So selecting boot to desktop bypasses the user and password prompts and launches the gui? If so would I have to enter them in to apt-get something or am I just good? I like entering the passwords when I demo it to friends because it looks like I'm doing some mysterious Linux stuff.
Backspace 28 times :)

ame

Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:57 am

metalj wrote:So selecting boot to desktop bypasses the user and password prompts and launches the gui?
I don't think so.

However, you can configure things that way if it pleases you.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:10 am

metalj wrote:So selecting boot to desktop bypasses the user and password prompts and launches the gui? If so would I have to enter them in to apt-get something or am I just good? I like entering the passwords when I demo it to friends because it looks like I'm doing some mysterious Linux stuff.
Hmmm...perhaps you need a better grade of friends. Most of my efforts are aimed at DEmystifying Linux, not making it look strange and arcane. Granted I cut my programming teeth on card-based batch input, and when VDTs came along, signing in to TSO, so *nix OSes all look pretty straightforward from that perspective.

Still... If you boot to the GUI, you won't need to enter a password to use APT. Just open a terminal window and use the commands as if you're logged in as user "pi" (because you are). So you could do something like "sudo apt-get install <packagename>".

Jednorozec

Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:30 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:Granted I cut my programming teeth on card-based batch input
Did you have the wonderful* experience of using ASCII for the JCL cards and EBCDIC for the program cards? There were only a couple of the ASCII key punches set on raised platforms so that you couldn't sit at them. One day I managed to knock my drawer full of cards to the floor. Those were the days!

* Full of wonder at why IBM did that.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

W. H. Heydt

Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:32 am

Jednorozec wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:Granted I cut my programming teeth on card-based batch input
Did you have the wonderful* experience of using ASCII for the JCL cards and EBCDIC for the program cards? There were only a couple of the ASCII key punches set on raised platforms so that you couldn't sit at them. One day I managed to knock my drawer full of cards to the floor. Those were the days!

* Full of wonder at why IBM did that.
I got started with an IBM 1620 Mod. I. EBCDIC didn't come in until the S/360. And besides...on cards, it was all Hollerith code on IBM 024 and 026 keypunches.

Return to “General discussion”