Pirathonite

Sincere/dearest request, enable codecombat.com

Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:31 am

Hello Eben Upton & raspberry pi forum users,

I would like to play the game from codecombat, Inc.'s codecombat which is an web browser in-game(web browser based) game to learn how to program in python, JavaScript and so they have a selection of other programing languages, for just 10 dollars. This game seems to help you much. I heartly want to ask you dear users, could you guys give a web browser for raspbian the best support if possible to the HTML5 features? The game runs smooth on my Intel computer but, runs slow on my raspberry pi 2. Now I see that in the kiosk browser for the raspberrypi 2 I get the most smoothness but it seems the website(codecombat) refuses to run on the kiosk browser. Could you guys try to fix this and make it yet run smoother? I understand the limit in processing power but I do have a feeling that you guys could do a few tweaks.

Thank you so much~

Just post some if you would like to tell me something. I will contact team@codecombat to see if they also could do tweaks but on codecombat for compatibility.

I sended them the following email:

Hello dear team@codecombat,

I love your game, I bought the game and it is very good. Unfortunately I have not been able to play it as much but I am very pleased with it. I found the game, I first played the game, and payed for the game, from my raspberry pi 2 running raspbian (NOOBS). I saw that it is more smooth on the raspbian web browser Kiosk than in iceweasel web browser which works, but codecombat doesnt support it. Please, could you guys improve codecombat so that my kiosk can run it (codecombat) and run it smooth as possible. Allow access from kiosk web browser, please.

Kiosk is a web browser for raspbian (linux distribution for the raspberry pi 2)

I posted here at raspberry pi main webpage asking for some more support from their side to improve kiosk.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=118943

Please help.

Thank you,
Sincerely~

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Sincere/dearest request, enable codecombat.com

Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:51 am

I had a bit of a play with it and it looks pretty good.

The browser is constantly being worked on and improved, but there are limits. My personal opinion is that the web browser is for browsing the web, and HTML5/JS is a terrible way to develop games. Many JS-heavy sites struggle on high end desktop PCs, so expecting them to work on a device like the pi is a bit of a stretch.

Witting software with a specific platform in mind is much easier than changing the platform to accommodate software written for much more powerful hardware. The path of least resistance would be for the codecombat people to take a look at what they can do.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Sincere/dearest request, enable codecombat.com

Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:52 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:I had a bit of a play with it and it looks pretty good.

The browser is constantly being worked on and improved, but there are limits. My personal opinion is that the web browser is for browsing the web, and HTML5/JS is a terrible way to develop games. Many JS-heavy sites struggle on high end desktop PCs, so expecting them to work on a device like the pi is a bit of a stretch.

Witting software with a specific platform in mind is much easier than changing the platform to accommodate software written for much more powerful hardware. The path of least resistance would be for the codecombat people to take a look at what they can do.
I had a peruse using an older (3 years old) Android 4.0.4 Tablet, "Playing" crashed both Chrome and Firefox Web Browser, so it would appear that the system requirements need clarification on the web site.

On a positive note good to see they have not used Adobe Flash :D
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines are a ChromeBox & Intel CoreDuo Desktop

Return to “General discussion”