SonOfAMotherlessGoat

Re: PuTTY and No-IP

Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:38 pm

Yep, just got a good readback of my ::feaf workstation. DO are good folks, and welcome to IPv6! :)
Account Inactive

Heater

Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:01 pm

So how about an IPv6 server on my Raspi on my home network behind a WIFI router running OpenWRT ?

http://[2001:14ba:8094:6400:f789:ea3b:7f12:9a7c]

Anyone able to reach that?
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

SonOfAMotherlessGoat

Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:07 pm

Got that too. Isn't it nice not to have to NAT it? 200ms ping times.

Edit: That's over 27 hops from the West Coast of the United States to your node.
Last edited by SonOfAMotherlessGoat on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Account Inactive

DougieLawson

Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:08 pm

Heater wrote:So how about an IPv6 server on my Raspi on my home network behind a WIFI router running OpenWRT ?

http://[2001:14ba:8094:6400:f789:ea3b:7f12:9a7c]

Anyone able to reach that?
Tis easy with a Hurricane Electric tunnel.

I've been running IPv6 for best part of ten years. Switched in December 2013 to http://tunnelbroker.net and haven't looked back. My tunnel runs on a RPi B+. By running radvd every IPv6 ready device uses IPv6.

One day my ISP will wake up, smell the coffee and give me an IPv6 prefix and an IPv6 home router and I'll be able to stop running the tunnel.
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Heater

Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:14 pm

Thanks.

I'm always amazed at my ISP here. This is only about the cheapest home connection one can get around here. I get 30Mbps down and 12Mbps up. Now I find they are all set to go for IPv6.

Heater

Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:24 pm

DougieLawson,

Ah, good ol' Hurricane Electric. I had that all set up and working 10 years ago or more.

Then sort of forgot all about it.

asandford

Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:28 am

IgorGanapolsky wrote: Thank you very much for explaining this point in such fine detail. I never thought I'd understand the IPV6 intricacies vs IPV4 as it relates to Raspberry Pi, and networking in general. So you're saying that No-Ip uses IPV4, whereas Weaved, Ngrok, and Dataplicity use IPV6? Or is there a finer point I am missing here...
Getting back on track...
It's not which protocol is used, it's about what services are offered. No-ip resolves the domain name to your router's external IP address (which then redirects to a given host), the others are 'middle-men' (you connect to them, and others connect to them to get to you).

No-ip won't work from Starbucks (for example) as it will route traffic to either the registered 'external' IP address (your home router) or the current 'external' address (if you have you have the updating client running) - the starbucks router. The latter will fail as the the Starbucks router won't know that it needs to forward traffic to you.

The other services act as brokers; a client service runs on your PI and any incomming traffic to the service provider for your device is routed to you by them (and probably inspected, analysed and profiled as it passes thru' their servers).

Heater

Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:03 am

atmosteam,

Yes, that is the bottom line. atmosteam asks:
[quote]
...but what can I do if the RPi is moving and it takes wifi from the McDonalds (for example) or taking wifi from my phone. is it possible to make port forwarding on routers that are not mine and are publics?
[quote]
Can't be done. McDonalds and so on are not going to allow connections to be made from outside their network to your device on the inside.

Quite often they will also be blocking any outgoing connections that are not for HTTP/HTTPS on the respective port numbers.

That's why we end up needing services like dataplicity, resin.io etc.

With those one has software running on the Pi, or whatever gadget, which connects to the service. It works over HTTP/HTTPS so it can make the connection out from a McDonalds network, or whatever. It looks just like another browser.

Having established a connection to the outside service, the service can now tunnel your required connections from their servers to your Pi.

It's all a giant hack to get around all these problems with host names and routing.

Looks like we are going to be forever dependent on some "middle man" service to get access to our devices if they are roaming like that.

Except...

I have been working on making my own such tunnel. It connects to a server instance I have running on google.cloud using HTTPS. It forwards serial data from a serial port to the server instance using websockets. I can connect to that server instance from anywhere in the world and talk to that serial port.

So now, if my Pi can reach the web from wherever it happens to be then I can talk to that serial port. With a bit of work the serial port could be replaced with a Bash shell and I have complete control of the Pi. Only then security has gone totally out of the window...

Return to “General discussion”