kdolf

Raspberry Pi A+ Mechanical Drawings???

Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been looking to start a project and create my own shield but I need specifically the A+ mechanical drawing. I found the technical document page on the website, but it only displays the B+. Can anyone help????

Thanks,
Kyle

DougieLawson

Re: Raspberry Pi A+ Mechanical Drawings???

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:39 pm

The mounting holes and GPIO are identical between A+/B+/2B. The A+ is simply 20mm shorter than a B+/2B.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

JoanTheSpark

Sun May 01, 2016 5:22 am

Anyone that could help me and measure the position of the Raspberry Pi A+ USB connector vs the board please?

Unfortunately there doesn't exist a mechanical drawing (tried google-ing a while) of the RPi A+ in regards to the USB connector position. :cry:

I made up a drawing from the RPi photo of the A+ and marked out which dimensions I would like to get my hands on:

EDGE = edge of board to socket entry face
CNTR-IO = I/O side edge of board to center of USB connector
CNTR-HDMI = HDMI side edge of board to center of USB connector
SIDE-IO = I/O side edge of board to closest side of USB connector
SIDE-HDMI = HDMI side edge of board to closest side of USB connector
RaspberryPi_A+_USB-connector-position.jpg
RPi A+ USB connector position wanted
RaspberryPi_A+_USB-connector-position.jpg (62.24 KiB) Viewed 2558 times
Accuracy would need to be 0.5 mm if possible. :roll:

Big Thanks!

DougieLawson

Sun May 01, 2016 9:22 am

These are some rough measurements taken with my A+ and a set of digital calipers.

EDGE = edge of board to socket entry face -- 2.48mm
CNTR-IO = I/O side edge of board to centre of USB connector -- 24.21mm
CNTR-HDMI = HDMI side edge of board to centre of USB connector -- 31.31mm
SIDE-IO = I/O side edge of board to closest side of USB connector -- 18.17mm
SIDE-HDMI = HDMI side edge of board to closest side of USB connector --25.18mm

It wasn't easy to measure to the centre of the USB. On the underside of that connector there appears to be a join, so I used that as the datum.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

JoanTheSpark

Mon May 02, 2016 2:38 am

DougieLawson wrote:It wasn't easy to measure to the centre of the USB. On the underside of that connector there appears to be a join, so I used that as the datum.
Thank you so much! :)

I also used a higher res picture of an A+ I found on the net and did some pixels vs measurements of known dimensions and got me 3 measurements, but yours should be closer on the money.

For anyone who needs this in a more concise form, I adapted the B+ drawing pdf and added the vertical dimension for the USB connector and removed the B+ stuff:

PS: I would have attached a pdf, but the forums doesn't allow it.
So in case anyone needs/wants the pdf just drop me a line.
Attachments
Raspberry-Pi-A-Plus-V1.0-Mechanical-Drawing-2.jpg
Raspberry Pi A Plus mechanical dimensions drawing
Raspberry-Pi-A-Plus-V1.0-Mechanical-Drawing-2.jpg (62.53 KiB) Viewed 2391 times

drmacro

Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:55 pm

Anybody have the same info for a model B?

I'm doing a pcb layout for a board that plugs into the GPIO header and need to know to where pin 1 of the 26 pin GPIO connector and the mounting holes all relative to a given point on the board. (using calipers will get close...but, I'd prefer to minimize re-spins of the board...call me crazy.)

(Is it just me? Why are the mechanicals on PI's so secret? It's not like they expected users to want to mount them or like the users might need to know where the connectors are for a board designed to be tinkered with... :? )

And, since I'll be making a version of the board for the model 3...is the same info available for that board?

Mac

fruitoftheloom

Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:08 pm

drmacro wrote:Anybody have the same info for a model B?

I'm doing a pcb layout for a board that plugs into the GPIO header and need to know to where pin 1 of the 26 pin GPIO connector and the mounting holes all relative to a given point on the board. (using calipers will get close...but, I'd prefer to minimize re-spins of the board...call me crazy.)

(Is it just me? Why are the mechanicals on PI's so secret? It's not like they expected users to want to mount them or like the users might need to know where the connectors are for a board designed to be tinkered with... :? )

And, since I'll be making a version of the board for the model 3...is the same info available for that board?

Mac
Regards the B+ / 2B / 3B could you not use the HAT Mechinial Drawings ??

https://github.com/raspberrypi/hats/blo ... gnguide.md
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

drmacro

Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:06 pm

That's perfect for the 40 pin gpio models. Thanks!

But not the B with 26 pin header.
Last edited by drmacro on Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DougieLawson

Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:50 pm

CarlRJ

Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:34 pm

drmacro wrote:(Is it just me? Why are the mechanicals on PI's so secret? It's not like they expected users to want to mount them or like the users might need to know where the connectors are for a board designed to be tinkered with... :? )
What I read somewhere (take it for what it's worth), is that they released substantial documentation on the original Pi (board layout, schematics, etc.)... and some of the knockoff factories in China took the designs and used them as ready-made blueprints to release exact clones of the original Raspberry Pi, expending no design effort of their own. And profits from the real Pi were channeled back into the Raspberry Pi Foundation's efforts to further computer education, while the Chinese knockoff factories kept their profits for themselves. So, the RPF has been more tight-lipped about exactly how to build more recent models of the Raspberry Pi. Which is a shame, that Makers suffer because of the actions of some greedy people who have no honor. As far as mechanical mounting details go, though... you're going to need a real one to test fit your prototypes, right?

scruss

Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:28 pm

CarlRJ wrote:What I read somewhere (take it for what it's worth), is that they released substantial documentation on the original Pi (board layout, schematics, etc.)... and some of the knockoff factories in China took the designs and used them as ready-made blueprints to release exact clones of the original Raspberry Pi …
That would need licensing from Broadcom to buy the main SoC — which is very unlikely to happen at a price that would make cheap clones.

Anyway, the recent mechanicals for the Zero and 3 are here — https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... echanical/ — not secret at all.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:37 pm

scruss wrote:
CarlRJ wrote:What I read somewhere (take it for what it's worth), is that they released substantial documentation on the original Pi (board layout, schematics, etc.)... and some of the knockoff factories in China took the designs and used them as ready-made blueprints to release exact clones of the original Raspberry Pi …
That would need licensing from Broadcom to buy the main SoC — which is very unlikely to happen at a price that would make cheap clones.

Anyway, the recent mechanicals for the Zero and 3 are here — https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... echanical/ — not secret at all.
Agreed...seems unlikely because of the problem of obtaining Broadcom SoCs.

I know of only one company that ever succeeded in truly cloning the Pi, and that effort didn't last long because the couldn't get more BCM2835s after they finished the "sample" batch to obtained. Look up the Hardkernel Odroid-W.

drmacro

Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:16 pm

Those are good and provide very accurate hole placement for the mounting holes and their diameters.

Unfortunately, there is still a bit of reverse engineering required to locate header pins in relation to the mounting holes.

BUT, this is a lot closer than I've had before! :D

The hat drawing for the model B+/3 actually had the center of the header defined. This makes it easy to get the position of pin 1 and thus where a mating header needs to be.

I guess I can take the drawing of the B and import the graphic into a cad package, scale it to the right dimensions and get the positions...

gregeric

Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:20 pm

karrika posted his kicad template for a Zero pHAT here if you can make use of that.

Return to “General discussion”