Gautham

Suggest me a Data Base to connect to Raspberry PI

Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:42 pm

Hi All,

Please let me know the DB which fits Raspberry PI. Also the DB's purpose is to store and retrieve health related information like pulses,heart rate and glucose level. The size of the data base should be small.

Regards,
Gautham

dpenezic

Re: Suggest me a Data Base to connect to Raspberry PI

Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:22 am

Hi,
are you just logging data, or you try to do some other things with data ?

Regards,
Dubravko

rpdom

Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:55 am

For a small database you can use SQLite, which uses a single file, but only supports one program accessing the database at a time.

For larger database you can use MySQL (or MariaDB), or PostgreSQL, which are full-featured relational databases.

For very simple data you could just use a flat text file instead.

marked

Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:38 am

For PERSONAL use, any of the databases should be fine, depending on how long you want to keep the data for and how frequently it is entered as well as if it requires sanitising and/or field validation (ie. is the date really a date format, is the glucose level of such a number that you are 110% sugar in veins etc.)

A simple logfile can be enough. You can use reporting tools that talk various database drivers independent of the underlying data storage (delimited text file eg. CSV, sqlite, access .mdb, mysql, oracle.)

Keeping a few thousand lines over a month or two is fairly easy in plain text, as you aren't reading or writing a large amount on a continual basis, and backups can be performed relatively trivially.

An active database on the other hand such as mysql will need more planning on how to backup and restore without losing existing data, and incoming data.

You may also need to take into account the device that inputs data to the database, eg. bluetooth connected glucose monitor, fitbit monitor etc.

For COMMERCIAL use, or distribution as a MEDICAL DEVICE, you will need to have certified software, along with encryption of the database content if they can be tied to any personally identifiable information. You will also need to look at your countries relevant codes on health devices and storage of data.

As an aside you may already be aware but there are open source databases that are specific to glucose monitoring, and also cloud monitoring services - ie. to raise automated alerts to the monitored and an alternate carer on . I think they are tied to specific devices such as continuous monitors, but can have independent device interaction. see http://nightscout.github.io/ and some background can be found here - http://sixuntilme.com/wp/2014/07/10/cgm-cloud-part/

Return to “General discussion”