semofa

How to install Ubuntu Package for Raspbian

Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:25 pm

Hi to all,
I need to install some packages on Raspbian that installed on my Ubuntu before. is it possible to Install Ubuntu Package on Raspbian? in other words, can I install every packages I want on every Linux system and on EVERY ARCHITECTURE ?

Best Regards,
Mostafa

MarkTF

Re: How to install Ubuntu Package for Raspbian

Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:40 pm

Have you tried "apt-get install <package_name>" from the command line for your desired packages?

Raspbian and Ubuntu repositories are not identical, but most everything you find on one will be on the other. If you have a specific package that is not in the repository it can often be compiled from source, but common stuff is usually available in binary.

DougieLawson

Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:41 pm

Or pull the source packages on Ubuntu and build them on Raspbian.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

semofa

Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:57 pm

thanks,
I tried apt-get install, but my packages was not there.
can you give me a link for cross-compiling binary packages for Raspbian?
another question is: can I compile every package I want for Raspbian?

Heater

Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:05 pm

semofa,
...is it possible to Install Ubuntu Package on Raspbian?
You only want to think about this when the same package does not exist in the Debian repos. Most do although the name may be a bit different or they have different versions.

It can be doen by adding an Ununtu repository to your /etc/apt/sources list and perhaps messing around with package keys.

WARNING: Don't do this. On the rare occasion that I have done that I got a working package BUT later found that installing it had pulled in a bunch of dependencies that totally broke my Debian package system and made it impossible to upgrade any more!
...can I install every packages I want on every Linux system and on EVERY ARCHITECTURE ?
No.

That's like asking can I install Windows programs on the Mac and vice versa.

Best idea is to stick to Raspbian and then if an program you need is not available in Raspbian build it from it's original source code. That can be very easy or very hard depending on the program.

It might help if you told us exactly which programs you had in mind here.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

DougieLawson

Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:06 pm

You shouldn't need to. First thing to do is try apt-get install packagename because lots of DebIan stuff that's in Ubuntu is also in Raspbian.

If you need the source then on Ubuntu use apt-get source packagename move the source package to a USB stick, mount the stick in your RPi and see if you can configure and build it.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

semofa

Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:52 pm

My problem is:
I want write a PyQt program on Raspberry Pi to get the streamed video from another Raspberry Pi. both Raspberry Pis (sender and receiver) work with Gstreamer. now I write a PyQt code on Ubuntu that receive streamed video and play that on a window. when I want run my code on Raspbian, It show a window for a sec and then it is gone. I suppose there is a package on my ubuntu that named python-gstreamer that it's not on Raspbian and I want install it on Raspbian. I should say that my second Raspberry Pi can play video with a command on terminal. I just want write a user interface for it.
if you Peopole now another way I precieate that.

Return to “General discussion”