Elliot_M

Re: Feedback pls: Remotely connect to your Raspberry Pi

Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:27 am

aminbp wrote:Hi Elliot,
This is what I am looking for. A simple cloud based ssh for me to do troubleshooting. Will save a lot of hassle traveling to remote sites for troubleshooting . May I know whether dataplicity works on Raspberry pi running Ubuntu 14.10/Linaro? . There are no mention which OS is supported.

Regards
Amin
Hi Amin!
I haven't managed to test 14.10 yet, but we will be supporting that. Try it, if it doesn't work let us know and we will fix it :-) Otherwise we will have a chance to test it ourselves over the next couple of weeks.
Best,
Elliot.

aminbp

Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:16 am

Elliot_M wrote:
aminbp wrote:Hi Elliot,
This is what I am looking for. A simple cloud based ssh for me to do troubleshooting. Will save a lot of hassle traveling to remote sites for troubleshooting . May I know whether dataplicity works on Raspberry pi running Ubuntu 14.10/Linaro? . There are no mention which OS is supported.

Regards
Amin
Hi Amin!
I haven't managed to test 14.10 yet, but we will be supporting that. Try it, if it doesn't work let us know and we will fix it :-) Otherwise we will have a chance to test it ourselves over the next couple of weeks.
Best,
Elliot.
Hi Elliot,
I have tested it with Ubuntu 14.10/ linaro on Raspberry pi 2 and it works like a charm. Thanks a lot. I had tried Cayenne IOT to remotely manage the linaro but it requires me to switch to Raspbian Jessie which may take me to upgrade all the setup that I have installed, 6 in total at remote sites. With dataplicity, save me a lot of time and no OS change. Thanks again.

it will be great if it can export the current user display... similar to vnc
Regards
Amin

cabbers

Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:30 pm

Coming back to this, as bought a new oDROID 64 and the zero-vpn solution I use wont work on it (Neorouter)-but dataplicity does! :-)
Only drawback for me is that I also use the freeware version of PRTG to monitor my various devices-by installing PRTG Server with a Neorouter client, I can then monitor all my Pi's/get alarms when they go down etc etc. I dont think I can do this with dataplicity?-so ping the Pi/oDroid, behind a firewall. I would need to forgo monitoring and hope the Pi/oDroid is there when I want to login to it.

So still leaning towards Neorouter for my Pi's-main reason for the oDroid is for GigaEthernet-but thats another story...

cheers

cabs

Elliot_M

Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:36 pm

cabbers wrote:Coming back to this, as bought a new oDROID 64 and the zero-vpn solution I use wont work on it (Neorouter)-but dataplicity does! :-)
Only drawback for me is that I also use the freeware version of PRTG to monitor my various devices-by installing PRTG Server with a Neorouter client, I can then monitor all my Pi's/get alarms when they go down etc etc. I dont think I can do this with dataplicity?-so ping the Pi/oDroid, behind a firewall. I would need to forgo monitoring and hope the Pi/oDroid is there when I want to login to it.

So still leaning towards Neorouter for my Pi's-main reason for the oDroid is for GigaEthernet-but thats another story...

cheers

cabs
Hi there,

I'm not familiar with PRTG but if it's something installed on your Pi which could be tunnelled over websockets or web traffic, it should work via dataplicity wormhole.

How does that system work?

M.

cabbers

Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:51 pm

PRTG is on separate machine (a Amazon EC2 image to be precise). The PRTG machine is part of the Neorouter network and has a tun interface, with a 172.16.x.x address. Each of the Pi's are in this network. So the PRTG server pings the 172.16.x.x address of the Pi's,over what is essentially a fully tunneled VPN "flat" network. I can also SSH into these Pi's-in fact, do anything with them (RDP,SSH,SFTP). Essentially a private LAN.

Your solution is more elegant, and more expansive, in terms of device types catered for-but I dont think it will allow me to monitor the Pi's-or use anything above a SSH connection, or web server. I dont think you've designed it for that :-) but in my mind your "competing" with the likes of reverse SSH, Neorouter, Hamachi and Weaved-so far, Neorouter does it for me (free for up to 256 devices)

Just my observations!

PRTG https://www.paessler.com/prtg

Neorouter http://www.neorouter.com/

Elliot_M

Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:01 pm

cabbers wrote:PRTG is on separate machine (a Amazon EC2 image to be precise). The PRTG machine is part of the Neorouter network and has a tun interface, with a 172.16.x.x address. Each of the Pi's are in this network. So the PRTG server pings the 172.16.x.x address of the Pi's,over what is essentially a fully tunneled VPN "flat" network. I can also SSH into these Pi's-in fact, do anything with them (RDP,SSH,SFTP). Essentially a private LAN.

Your solution is more elegant, and more expansive, in terms of device types catered for-but I dont think it will allow me to monitor the Pi's-or use anything above a SSH connection, or web server. I dont think you've designed it for that :-) but in my mind your "competing" with the likes of reverse SSH, Neorouter, Hamachi and Weaved-so far, Neorouter does it for me (free for up to 256 devices)

Just my observations!

PRTG https://www.paessler.com/prtg

Neorouter http://www.neorouter.com/
Hi there!
Thanks for the info.

May I ask what exactly it is that you are trying to monitor? Is it when the Pi loses internet connection or something along those lines? Or are you using PRTG to do application monitoring via port polling etc?

Best,
Elliot.

cabbers

Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:09 pm

Elliot
Both, to be honest.Most are a simple ICMP, some I look for HTTP or SSH being up-depending on what I'm using them for at the time (I work for a major ISP and they come in handy for drop in troubleshooting, and a zero-config VPN is handy for getting through NAT)

cabs

Elliot_M

Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:19 pm

cabbers wrote:Elliot
Both, to be honest.Most are a simple ICMP, some I look for HTTP or SSH being up-depending on what I'm using them for at the time (I work for a major ISP and they come in handy for drop in troubleshooting, and a zero-config VPN is handy for getting through NAT)

cabs
Hi Cabs,

You might be interested in this: https://scoutapp.github.io/scout_realtime/

There is a manager as well that's here: https://scoutapp.com/info/server_monitoring

And the whole lot runs over web, which means it runs over wormhole as well :)

Best,
M.

tachijuan

Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:59 pm

Elliot,

Your uninstall instructions leave bits (/opt/dataplicity, /home/dataplicity, and /var/log/dataplicity - maybe more). Is there a reason you don't include those? When I uninstall a package, I don't want to just turn off the service, I want to remove the bits as well.

Otherwise - great service.

thanks...

chaeron

Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:28 pm

The Dataplicity service seems like something that would be useful. My biggest concerns are security and having an unknown MITM participant (the Dataplicity servers). Some of my concerns include:

1) Yeah....the client source code is available on GIT. But what guarantees do we have that the actual code downloaded and executed on your Pi is the same as the source on GIT?

2) No end to end encryption is provided as standard. That would go a long way to alleviating the concerns, since the service could not "snoop" the traffic in the middle.

3) The code that runs on the Dataplicity servers has not been open sourced, so we have no idea what it's doing.

No disrespect meant to Elliot....but protestations of innocence are not sufficient to allay the concerns. Verifiable proof is required.

cabbers

Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:08 am

Still watching this thread-I have turned away from the likes of Neorouter (can be a bit flaky) and Dataplicity (just dont fancy this MIM approach)-and now use Zerotier. Works across just about any device (Windows,Mac, Pi,Odroid and OpenWRT) , you can set up separate but "flat' networks, and so far, has been rock soild.You can also have up to 100 devices for free. As each device has its own unique 10.x "VPN" address, I can also keep an eye on it with PRTG.

https://www.zerotier.com/

cabs

victagayun

Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:36 am

Any idea if it can work on other boards like Pine64 running Ubuntu?
This board is arm64 at Ubuntu Mate..

W. H. Heydt

Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:50 am

victagayun wrote:Any idea if it can work on other boards like Pine64 running Ubuntu?
This board is arm64 at Ubuntu Mate..
You'll probably have more luck asking about it on the forums for the PINE64 than necro'ing a thread here.

Yazidapple

Running 2 web services of different ports

Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:34 pm

I know that someone has already asked this question before but it seems like there is no solution to that problem yet.

So basically i want to build a simple smart home CCTV that can stream MJPEG and also control home appliances using websocket.

So i have installed UV4L on my Pi which basically stream MJPEG footage at port 8080. Then i have my web application built on top of flask-socketio framework (alternative to NGINX) . So my problem is i cannot get the stream to be displayed on my web application since the stream came from port 8080 while my webpage is on port 80(i could control my GPIO using this web application though). Is there any workaround for this problem? I'm still new in web Programming so i hope you could help me to figure this out.

Return to “General discussion”