rpiswag

Masscan Banner Information Issues.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:32 pm

I am scanning my local honeypots and other devices on my test network with masscan but I run into some problems with getting banners because masscan has it's own ip/tcp stack. The github page states that if you do banner scanning with masscan on linux you should give masscan it's own ip address. How do I give masscan it's own ip address? I do like masscan because I can scan many devices very quickly and much faster than nmap. FYI my pi is connected via ethernet.
A computer's power can't be just measured Gigahertz. It is the same thing with us humans.

rpiswag

Re: Masscan Banner Information Issues.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:17 pm

I have two ways that I know of to fix this problem. I can give masscan it's own ip address or I can set a ip tables rule like this

Code: Select all

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 60000 -j DROP
. What does that iptables rule do and how can I run that command on boot?
A computer's power can't be just measured Gigahertz. It is the same thing with us humans.

Heater

Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:46 pm

rpiswag,

Is it so that google does not work wherever you are?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IptablesHowTo

Oh, and by the way from the masscan github page:

"Scanning the entire Internet is bad. For one thing, parts of the Internet react badly to being scanned. For another thing, some sites track scans and add you to a ban list, which will get you firewalled from useful parts of the Internet."

Why do you want to do this nonsense?
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

rpiswag

Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:34 pm

I am not scanning the whole internet but I am scanning some of the computers I have online. Plus my Raspberry Pi's sd card is only 8 GB. I couldn't fit the banners of every computer on the internet plus at 100mb/s at best that would take a REALLY long time.

rpiswag

Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:49 pm

How do I give masscan it's own ip address?

Jednorozec

Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:40 am

Heater wrote:rpiswag,

Is it so that google does not work wherever you are?
Using google is work. It's easier to beg for help and let other people do the work.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

rpiswag

Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:09 pm

The closest tutorial I found was http://www.howtogeek.com/118337/stupid- ... -in-linux/
but that won't help me with masscan.

Return to “General discussion”