billli

56k Modem with Raspberry Pi

Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:05 pm

Hello all:

Not sure if this is the right forum for this topic. Please move this if needed :)

This is rather a general technology question. I live in an apartment, and we have a buzzer that connect to each unit, it operates on the telephone line. So when you dial a buzzer number, the unit's telephone rings, and you hold onto 0 or some other number and the door will open down stairs.

My goal is to have a Raspberry Pi connected to a 56k USB modem and connected to the telephone jack.

I am trying to achieve the following:

- User dials the buzzer code
- The Raspberry Pi picks up the telephone (with the use of the modem)
- User enters a "secret code" eg) 1234
- Raspberry Pi decodes the "secret code"
- If the code matches, the Raspberry Pi presses and holds the open door button for 5 seconds.

I basically need for the RPi to be able to answer the phone, decode analogue signals to pick apart the numbers and reply by pressing buttons. I've been looking at PBX systems, and am wondering if there are any specific pointers out there for projects like this.

johndough

Re: 56k Modem with Raspberry Pi

Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:51 am

billli wrote:Hello all:

Not sure if this is the right forum for this topic. Please move this if needed :)

This is rather a general technology question. I live in an apartment, and we have a buzzer that connect to each unit, it operates on the telephone line. So when you dial a buzzer number, the unit's telephone rings, and you hold onto 0 or some other number and the door will open down stairs.

My goal is to have a Raspberry Pi connected to a 56k USB modem and connected to the telephone jack.

- If the code matches, the Raspberry Pi presses and holds the open door button for 5 seconds.

I basically need for the RPi to be able to answer the phone, decode analogue signals to pick apart the numbers and reply by pressing buttons. I've been looking at PBX systems, and am wondering if there are any specific pointers out there for projects like this.

OR

what if the pi could be accessed by another means like a mobile phone, and then was connected across the door release button?

morphy_richards

Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:25 am

I vaguely remember causing all sorts of trouble on campus phone lines using a modem, Win NT and "hyperterminal"... Perhaps something like that could do what you need.
I think Linux equivalents are gkterm or minicom

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gtkterm
or

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install minicom
(Try, that, I'm not sure if it will work but give it a go)
Good luck!

java

Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:25 am

Might I ask what you are using as a serial port on the RPi to connect the modem to?

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:34 am

java wrote:Might I ask what you are using as a serial port on the RPi to connect the modem to?
The OP wrote:

""My goal is to have a Raspberry Pi connected to a 56k USB modem and connected to the telephone jack.""
Adieu

DougieLawson

Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:44 am

With an appropriate USB to RS232 adapter and a (non-winmodem) 56K modem you should be good to go.

The biggest problem is that most 56K modems are Winmodems (which relied on some of the code running on the windows side of the interface). You'd get 300/300 or 1200/75 modems running easily. Even with the Linmodem project you're going to struggle.

You may be lucky and find a USB modem that works with Linux
https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/ ... dial-modem
would be the one I looked at first.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

topguy

Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:32 am

billli wrote: decode analogue signals to pick apart the numbers and reply by pressing buttons.
I think that technologically your plan is going to have its biggest hurdle on "decode analoge signales" part.
I've used a fair share of modems in the 80's and 90's but can't remember any that did DTMF decoding, most of them didn't have any analog audio output, and the Pi doesn't have an audio input.

But it looks like good ol' USRobotics has something that might work: http://www.usr.com/en/products/56k-dial ... m/usr5637/

TigerClawTV

Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:21 pm

Try AOL Keyword "RaspberryPi"

(Sorry I couldn't resist.)
May I have an internet please? One internet here. Thanks.

marked

Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:34 pm

Firstly, are you sure that the circuit from the door to the apartment is actually a telephone line, and not a closed circuit with a doorphone. A doorphone may look like a phone, but may only actuate relays on pressing a specific button, and therefore run at different electrical specification.

If it is a phone circuit, then you can use a USB modem, along with asterisk (or one of the many pbx distributions) and one of any number of scripts. Further info can be found at voip-info

It might be worth actually finding out what the door interface is, as there may be other options.

riataman

Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:12 pm

Forget about the modem. Get a FXS ATA. This is the first google hit I got: http://www.voipsupply.com/cisco-spa122 but there are a lot of brands.

This is a device that connects to the phone and then to an ethernet work. This can convert the analog phone line signal to a SIP signal.

Then forward the SIP connecting to the RBI, there install Asterisk (http://www.asterisk.org/) you can then program a dial plan to do whatever you want with the DTMF tones.

BTW Once you have your phone line connected with the FXS and into Asterisk running in the RBP you can do all sort of things with it. Like have it call you for notifications and allow tones commands or a full phone menu that can do all sort of things.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:23 pm

billli wrote:Hello all:

You State it works on the phone line but are you sure it is not a Standalone Phone Entry System :?: if so does it have amanufacturers name :?:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_door-phone
Adieu

BluTs

Tue May 22, 2018 4:10 pm

I have the exact same issue.
The door system is phone line based, visitor dial app. number at the door, it rings my phone line. I answer then press a specific button (ex: number zero) to unlock the door.
I would like my Raspberry to answer the phone via USB 56k modem, listen for a specific DTMF, then send DTMF to unlock the door.

Has anyone found an answer for that?
I know these posts are from 2015 but it still an issue for me.

hippy

Tue May 22, 2018 6:44 pm

BluTs wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 4:10 pm
I would like my Raspberry to answer the phone via USB 56k modem, listen for a specific DTMF, then send DTMF to unlock the door.
If it were a standard serial port modem it would be easy. Just send the right AT commands to have it report the ring and decoded DTMF tones. All you need to do then is wait for the the ring, pick up the line, wait for the DTMF reports, check those, activate the door release or don't, hang-up and repeat.

If you can find a way for the Pi to see the modem as a serial interface through which to send AT commands it should be the same.

Read all the caveats in the above posts though.

crofter

Tue May 22, 2018 7:09 pm

possible suggestion a dtmf decoder and encoder this will give the af side of the question

crofter

BluTs

Tue May 22, 2018 8:17 pm

crofter wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:09 pm
possible suggestion a dtmf decoder and encoder this will give the af side of the question

crofter
DTMF decoder/encoder.... like this?: http://store.extremeelectronics.co.in/DTMF-Decoder.html
That looks neat but would make my setup require more devices.
I would still need something to watch the phone line for incoming calls plus something to attach the DTMF decoder.

That's why I was opting for a 56k modem, all in one solution and widely available.

andrum99

Tue May 22, 2018 10:45 pm

You definitely don't have to use a modem, but it does make things easier. You need a modem with "voice" capability. This allows you to capture sound from the phone line, and play sound out to the phone line. The advantage of using a modem is that modems are designed to be able to monitor the line for calls and answer them. The modem does not need to be 56k - any modem which has "voice" capability will do. You can do the DTMF coding / encoding in software on the Pi itself.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed May 23, 2018 12:35 am

Winmodems are all plug-in cards (PC-bus cards), not external (boxed) modems.

All (hayes compatible) external modems with a serial connector are modems that have a built in signal-processor, mostly with a Rockwell chip or something similar.

Winmodems are crap, and use most of the CPU power just to do the audio processing, its just that they were cheap and customers didn't know better, they were barely good enough to access bulletin board systems.

BluTs

Wed May 23, 2018 7:34 pm

Hmmm , intriguing!
Guess I'll be looking closely at the modems I have at home, hope they do voice ;) .

Return to “General discussion”