jqweber

Omxplayer - not updating video duration?

Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:27 am

General: Omxplayer seems to only play as much video as exists when it starts.

Details: Two computers on a local network. On the server (Hauppauge HD-PVR), I start up "cat /dev/video0 > aaa.mpg" (to an NFS shared folder). 15 seconds later on the client, I start up "omxplayer /mnt/xxx/aaa.mpg" (same shared file). Omxplayer plays the video for 15 seconds and quits. It does not seem to update the video duration "on the fly".

Any suggestions?

TIA

rpdom

Re: Omxplayer - not updating video duration?

Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:17 am

Does the --live option help in that case? I believe that's for streams and forms of input where the data length isn't fixed at the start.

jqweber

Re: Omxplayer - not updating video duration?

Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:31 pm

No -- tried --live and still no satisfaction.

After a little more investigating, I have found that if you let the "cat" get > ~30 seconds ahead, that Omxplayer will play indefinitely. And even funnier, let's say you let the "cat" get 5 minutes ahead. If you pause Omxplayer, it will ALWAYS show that the duration of the video is ~25-30 seconds more than the pause point. In other words, if the "cat" is running for 5 minutes, if you pause Omxplayer after about 1 minute of playing from the start, it will say the video length is ~1:30. If you then keep playing, and pause at say 3 minutes, it will say the length is ~3:30, even though it has been recording for >8 minutes.... Very strange...

I believe that the problem is not with NFS - if on the client I do a "ls -l", I see the size of the file being updated about every second or two, right from the start of the "cat".

Return to “General discussion”